PDA

View Full Version : DH going to the Middle East. what to bring back?

meira
04-11-2013, 11:58 AM
He is going for one week to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Dubai and Abu Dhabi, leaving me with 4 kids. Any suggestions for a gift for me or the kids.

sariana
04-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Do you need a rug? DH almost bought one or more when he was there, but we didn't have a place for one.

KonzaPrairie
04-11-2013, 01:18 PM
The rugs are beautiful! Do you like dates? They are known for their dates. When my DH went last year he brought me back a kitchy jeweled egg that has a "made in China" sticker on it. I think he bought it in the airport. I felt bad not appreciating the gift, but it was a dumb gift. Don't let your DH buy you that.

lil_acorn
04-11-2013, 01:19 PM
The rugs are beautiful! Do you like dates? They are known for their dates. When my DH went last year he brought me back a kitchy jeweled egg that has a "made in China" sticker on it. I think he bought it in the airport. I felt bad not appreciating the gift, but it was a dumb gift. Don't let your DH buy you that.

I don't have any suggestions but just wanted to say I LOL at this one.
:ROTFLMAO:

okinawama
04-11-2013, 02:18 PM
spices from their spice markets or perfume

baymom
04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
They have some beautiful leather goods. Purse, belt...? My DH bought me a leather backpack when he went.

janine
04-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Gold.

A rug maybe but a big pain to shop for (and then ship unless it's tinsy) and also will be alot of hassling.

baileygirl
04-11-2013, 03:07 PM
DH travels to the middle east, but hasn't bought a lot in Saudi Arabia or UAE (he did really like UAE). He usually will buy the kids something small (like a wooden camel). He brought back some jewelry from a local designer and dates from Jordan.

MamaMolly
04-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Gold.

A rug maybe but a big pain to shop for (and then ship unless it's tinsy) and also will be alot of hassling.

GOLD!!! :applause: DH brought me 22K gold bracelets from Dubai.

zag95
04-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Rug- he could ship it if needed.
Spices or food items.

Mommy_Mea
04-12-2013, 07:34 AM

Lol. DH went to do some work in an area of the us well known for copper mining. He was proud of the copper trivet he brought home for me, until I pointed out the "made in China" sticker on the back. Oops!

And for the OP: gold, definitely gold!

vonfirmath
04-12-2013, 09:26 AM
My sister has been to Oman a couple of times in the last few years (to visit a friend that moved over there) and they go to -- Dubai I think to shop. If you don't have room for a rug, how about a table runner? (to go down the middle of the table)

Other interesting things she's brought back for us include:
Arabic M&Ms
a gorgeous plate made by the Coptic Christians
a touristy puzzle :) with the tallest building in the world.

meira
04-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We don't need a rug, but a table runner is interesting as is GOLD!! I will have to research further, because he needs a lot of direction :)

nmosur
04-12-2013, 06:57 PM
The gold souk and the spice market in Dubai are the places to shop. Also, most Europeon perfumes, cosmetics, fashion accessories are cheaper in Dubai. If you like Arabian themed decor and are willing to invest some $$ then both Saudi and Dubai are good places to shop. The produce available in Saudi (mostly imported) is the best that you can find - especially tropical fruit.