PDA

View Full Version : Self tanner tips, please...I look a MESS!!

barkley1
04-11-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm awful at self tanner, apparently. Please give me your best tips. I am using a loofa in the shower beforehand, shaving my legs, applying lotion, then applying self tanner. More sparingly around knees, elbows and any bony places.

I still look like crap! I have finger marks on the backs of my calfs, my wrists and backs of hands look dirty. I was just leaving the feet and hands alone but they were looking like a reverse farmer tan, so I tried to do them, too. I am using Loreal Sublime instant action....I've tried Jergens Medium color, but I swear no matter how many days in a row I apply, I look no tanner! Help :(

minnie-zb
04-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Hmmm....Here's what I do. On those areas where I don't want to get a lot of the self-tanner (heels, knees, etc) I apply a thin layer of lotion before I do the self-tanner in those areas. I also let it absorb before doing the self-tanner. Then when I'm applying the self-tanner really take the time to make sure I'm covering all of my leg.

For your hands: always wash your hands with soap when you are done. Otherwise it will tan your palms, cuticles, etc. and that doesn't look good.

ETA: only apply the self-tanner where you would normally get tanned. I'm wondering if the product you used is too dark for you? I don't know, you might need to try a couple different products to find the one you like. I've had good luck with the Jergens one. When using the Jergens, were you exfoliating every day? That might be the problem -- you can't exfoliate once you are using it otherwise you will exfoliate it all off.

AJP
04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Have you tried a spray on self tanner? You will still want to lotion up the areas like knees, ankles and heels that you don't want to tan, but it will give you a smoother application with no finger lines etc.

okinawama
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
I have found this self tanner to be, hands down, the best self tanner I've used. The color is great and the application mitt really helps me get a nice even tan! It gets great reviews on amazon and I follow a few beauty blogs/youtube channels that recommend it. It has lived up to all of those recommendations!

http://www.amazon.com/Fake-Bake-FBF-12-Flawless-6-Ounce/dp/B0046VGPHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365702978&sr=8-1&keywords=self+tanner

TxCat
04-11-2013, 03:23 PM
I've been using self tanner for years. Here are some tips that have helped me:

1) favorite self tanner is hands down St. Tropez tanning mousse - I buy from Sephora. A second option is Clarins tanning gel.

2) in the shower, I shave first, then exfoliate with a salt- or sugar-based body scrub and a washcloth, with particular attention to feet, ankles, knees, elbows. Supposedly it's best to exfoliate after shaving to make sure that you remove any residual shaving cream.

3) post-shower I make sure I'm dry thoroughly and apply a thin layer of lotion on the areas where I want less tanner - feet, ankles, knees, elbows, backs of hands/wrist.

4) I use gloves to apply the tanner and work quickly but make sure to rub all the tanner into the skin. For this reason I found tanners with a color guide to be more helpful. I also use paper towel to blot excess lotion/color from the "problem" areas - knees, etc.

5) I remove gloves and apply a small amount of tanner to the backs of my hands. If I'm using the St. Tropez for my body, then sometimes I use the Clarins gel for my hands and feet since the color is a little lighter and more forgiving.

6) I usually apply tanner before going to bed at night to minimize the risk of streaking due to sweating, etc.

bigpassport
04-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I've only used Jergens and Nivea but haven't had any problem. I shave and scrub, dry, apply Jergens/Nivea, and wipe with a tissue to remove any excess. I wash my hands with soap immediately using a nail brush to get my cuticles.

Have you tried NOT applying lotion first? I've never applied lotion before using Jergens/Nivea.

elektra
04-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I follow these tips, listed in the product reviews if you scroll down.
http://www.amazon.com/St-Tropez-Bronzing-Mousse-8-0-Fluid/dp/B003CFB3EC/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1365716812&sr=1-1&keywords=st.+tropez
I would not put lotion on all over after you get out of the shower- only put it on your ankles, elbows and knees.