PDA

View Full Version : How to sell land???

MontrealMum
04-11-2013, 12:47 PM
I'll try to keep this short and sweet because I'm pretty ticked at the situation. But that's not necessary to go into for you guys to answer :)

DH inherited some land in another province. We would like to sell it as we're just throwing money away paying the taxes. It's of absolutely no use to us as we have no plans to ever build there. I am hoping it might be seen as useful by someone else.

So, how do you go about selling land in a rural area when you don't live in the area? Do you just google the town/county and start checking out realtors that pop up? Is there some other type of person that might handle this sort of transaction? Also, is there a way to get some idea of what land might be worth in a particular area?

TIA!

legaleagle
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
I'd try contacting the adjoining parcel owners first and see if any of them are interested. You should be able to get their info from the tax records. As for value, what's the tax assessment value? That will give you somewhere to start.

pastrygirl
04-11-2013, 04:46 PM
There's a plot of land adjacent to ours and the owner contacted us directly a few years ago. It wasn't for sale then, but they wanted to know if we'd be interested someday. We were, and now they are selling. They contacted us again, accepted our offer, and we're waiting for the paperwork.

If we didn't buy that land, someone else could tear up our front lawn and put their driveway there. :( We were very glad that they got in touch with us!

EllasMum
04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
I'd try contacting the adjoining parcel owners first and see if any of them are interested.

:yeahthat: My mom owned 10 acres of land in rural Saskatchewan and decided to sell. She had her brother, who lives in the area, ask the owner of the adjacent land if he would like to buy it and the guy said yes, immediately. Apparently, the adjacent landowner was thrilled to get the land and the whole thing went very smoothly.

Good luck!

bcafe
04-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Would it appeal to any special subset of buyers? If hunters would be interested I would start with an ad in a specialty type magazine. I would look for some uniqueness and go from there.

Binkandabee
04-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Agree with PP who said contact adjacent land owners. I'm working through closing a transaction exactly like that right now.

MontrealMum
04-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Thank you so much, guys! This is all amazing advice. I am feeling much more positive about this. I now have some of the info I need from DH to start the ball rolling on this so I'm going to do a little searching online tonight and then calling around tomorrow during the day.