PDA

View Full Version : What kind of deoderant would you let your kid use?

cilantromapuche
04-11-2013, 04:44 PM
DS is getting close to that age and I am wondering what the health conscience mamas are having their kids wear?

JBaxter
04-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Any one they WILL use. Axe or Old spice is what my boys use. Most of the natural stuff they still stink pretty bad when they get sweaty.

cvanbrunt
04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Whatever is on sale.

MelissaTC
04-11-2013, 05:04 PM
He uses a Speed Stick.

lalasmama
04-11-2013, 05:05 PM
We use something natural, but I can't remember what brand it is, and I'm too lazy to go look. Of note, though, DD doesn't stink much yet, so she doesn't "need" it, she wears it when she wants to feel more "big kid".

cilantromapuche
04-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I guess I am just not comfortable with Axe. I think Axe and teenagers should be banned and I can't stand the sexual commentary on the bottles.
Fortunately, DS doesn't need it yet but I know the boys are starting to use stuff and it is only a matter of time.

crl
04-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Following along because we are about there too but I would rather go with something with a semi-decent EWG rating and the BBB stamp of approval. ;)

Catherine

Mikey0709
04-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Funny you should mention Axe, we are in Philly suburbs and a local school DID ban Axe ! Apparently someone had an allergy to it. Not sure if it was the scent or a certain ingredient.

sste
04-11-2013, 06:20 PM
I started using this one and then DH did too. I don't know if the scent is too girly (it doesn't seem that way too us esp once its on) and your DS might not want to bring it to the locker room. But for using in the morning at home, you might want to try this one available at vitacost and other places:
http://store.thecrystal.com/crystal-essence-body-spray---chamomile--green-tea-p13.aspx

ETA: Neither of us are super-sweaty though! I don't think this works as well as traditional deodorant but it works the best of the natural ones I have tried. Also sometimes "real" deodorant seems to make me sweat more?? Not sure why . . .

Cam&Clay
04-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Any one they WILL use. Axe or Old spice is what my boys use. Most of the natural stuff they still stink pretty bad when they get sweaty.

:jammin:

Whatever they will consistently use AND will actually stop the stink.

cilantromapuche
04-11-2013, 06:22 PM
I think the problem with Axe is that boys think "the more, the better!" It does claim to be a chic magnet, so therefore you will have a harem if you wear more.

crl
04-11-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm assuming eventually we will have to step up to an antiperspirant for ds, which means not good EWG ratings IIRC. But I was figuring for this summer and another year or two maybe we could get away with a better rated deodorant for him. (He's nine.)

Catherine

crl
04-11-2013, 06:25 PM
I think the problem with Axe is that boys think "the more, the better!" It does claim to be a chic magnet, so therefore you will have a harem if you wear more.

Ds would never ever wer it then. :hysterical: I think we will have a couple of years of deodorant wearing before he wants to be a chick magnet.

Catherine

Nooknookmom
04-11-2013, 08:22 PM

That's the one! whatever works!

cilantromapuche
04-11-2013, 08:25 PM
or maybe we will skip it and keep the girls away! I think I am on to something! that and beans for dinner every night.

crl
04-11-2013, 08:28 PM
or maybe we will skip it and keep the girls away! I think I am on to something! that and beans for dinner every night.

Ah, this would be Dh's line of thought. He keeps saying he doesn't want to be a grandfather anytime soon. . . .

Catherine

JBaxter
04-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Ah, this would be Dh's line of thought. He keeps saying he doesn't want to be a grandfather anytime soon. . . .

Catherine

*shrugs* I have a 21 yr old and a 18 yr old who have used Axe, Old spice and several "teen targeted" products and I've managed not to be a grandmother for the past 10 yrs.

Believe me if it keeps them from smelling like a gym locker ant they will use a product you won't care what is written on can. But I can tell you it does in no way encourage sexual activity.

crl
04-11-2013, 10:43 PM
*shrugs* I have a 21 yr old and a 18 yr old who have used Axe, Old spice and several "teen targeted" products and I've managed not to be a grandmother for the past 10 yrs.

Believe me if it keeps them from smelling like a gym locker ant they will use a product you won't care what is written on can. But I can tell you it does in no way encourage sexual activity.

I was joking.

Catherine

Cuckoomamma
04-12-2013, 06:24 AM
Tom's is ineffective on me but works wonderfully for dd.

ilfaith
04-12-2013, 09:26 AM
My nearly 9-year-old DS uses Toms (when he remembers or I remind him)...he's not that stinky yet, but once he is older, he will probably need something a little more powerful.

waitingforgrace
04-12-2013, 09:26 AM
If you want more health conscious I'd look at just a deodorant. Old spice makes one. The antiperspirant ingredient is aluminum and some people (DH included) are allergic, not to mention health concerns. Some people also experience more sweating since although they don't sweat where the antiperspirant is, the body makes up for that sweating elsewhere.