PDA

View Full Version : Pull ups vs training pants or something else???

trcy
04-11-2013, 08:36 PM
I really need to get serious about introducing DD to potty training. I don't think she is totally ready but I want to introduce the idea of it. I have reservations about pull ups because, from my understanding, they don't feel wet so no real motivation. Plus, they are expensive. Are training pants a better option? If so, which ones? Am I totally wrong about pull ups, are they the way to go?

lizzywednesday
04-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Training pants. Whichever ones fit your DC best. We have Hannas, but they are pricey (ours were purchased on sale & gifts) so if you're not willing/able to spend that much, folks 'round these parts like the Gerber ones just fine.

I wouldn't do Pull-Ups except for the fact that DD is full-time in daycare & they're bound by state regulations to not accept underpants of any sort until a child is fully trained for pee & poo. Drives me crazy, but I'm not quite motivated enough to argue.

mikala
04-12-2013, 11:01 AM
We skipped both and did bottom half naked time followed by a few weeks of commando under pants before introducing regular underwear.

AnnieW625
04-12-2013, 06:34 PM
IMHO don't do it unless you think your child is 1000% ready. There is no rush or magic date that your child needs to be trained unless there is a date for mandatory preschool. If the potty training fails then the next year and getting them to train will be a royal PITA. It happened to me with DD1 when I started when she was about that age because every other little girl we knew was potty trained by 2/1/2 (they were a couple of months older than DD1) and I seriously felt like a failure and DD1 wanted nothing to do with the potty in protest. I finally gave up until she was almost 3 and it took her 3 weeks to train day and we could leave the house in panties and to go to daycare by week 3. Now I waited longer with DD2, but she has been equally as stubborn and she started the process on her own at 2 yrs. 9 mos., but ended up with a UTI because she didn't get that she was suppose to pee on the potty at daycare and we had told her that she couldn't pee in pull ups so she'd end up withholding her pee. She is now a couple of weeks shy of 3 and I know she almost gets it but she is being lazy. DH has said he is probably going to naked train her (I told him he is in charge;)). IMHO if you want to do disposables just do diapers, kids know how to take those off just as easily and if you never introduce pull ups then kids won't know there is a slightly easier way. They will figure out underwear on their own.

I used Hanna and Gerber trainers as underwear once DD1 was trained. Plan to do the same with DD2. We only used Pull Ups with DD1 once she had outgrown her cloth diapers for night time use and she still wasn't night trained (I didn't stress night training at all and she night trained at just over 5).