PDA

View Full Version : summer reading program for 4-5 year olds?

tabegle
04-11-2013, 10:23 PM
My local community college sent out a flyer advertising a short summer reading program that's 5 sessions at 75 minutes each.

When I called the 800 number to get more info, I found out it was for the Institute of Reading Development and it was $240.

Has anyone ever done this? The description for the 4-5 yr old class is:
"Your child will learn beginning phonics and reading readiness skills, build comprehension and develop a love of books and reading. This program lays the foundation for a strong start in reading and school."

Has anyone done this? What was your experience?
Are there different programs that you would recommend?

ahisma
04-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do it. What is to be gained at that age? I think you'd accomplish the same results by reading at home regularly. $240 for five 75 min sessions seems way over the top to me. He'll learn to read in K. I'd save my $$ and do a music class, art class, nature class - anything.

sarahsthreads
04-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do it. What is to be gained at that age? I think you'd accomplish the same results by reading at home regularly. $240 for five 75 min sessions seems way over the top to me. He'll learn to read in K. I'd save my $$ and do a music class, art class, nature class - anything.

I'd have to agree. You could pay for the premium parts of starfall.com and between letting him play with that and reading to him at home you would accomplish the same thing.

Also, your local library might have a free summer reading program. Ours starts at age 3, and the kids absolutely love it. It encourages them to read daily and visit the library weekly! They run lots of extra activities as well - for the younger kids it's typically a story hour, but they often have art projects for them to do as well. The older kids have book clubs, lego building challenge days, and can read to a therapy dog to gain confidence in their reading skills.

Sarah :)