PDA

View Full Version : Cupcakes in ice cream cones?

Jacksmommy2b
04-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Almost 30 years later, I remember a classmate bringing these to school for her birthday. :)

I want to make them for J's K class for his birthday, but have found a lot of conflicting recipies and suggestions online.

Anyone have a tried and true recipie?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

KpbS
04-12-2013, 12:37 AM
I used this one a couple of years ago and it worked well. Love the effect and the kids did too. :)

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/candy-topped-cupcake-cones/36095491-547e-49eb-9679-155b47eeb217

scrooks
04-12-2013, 08:07 AM
I will have to try the above link. I tried them once for dd and they didn't work!

wendibird22
04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
I remember having these for my birthday when I was a kid. My mom didn't back AT ALL. She could ruin a pan of brownies. I remember that she just used a regular store bought box cake mix and made and backed them according to the regular instructions.

MommyofAmaya
04-12-2013, 09:36 AM
We had these at a local bakery once. DS (3yo at the time) asked for some a few weeks later. I told him that I didn't know how to make them. He replied with, "Mom, just go to CakeCone.com!" I typed it in and what do you know......a cake cone kit was there. It must have not been a big seller b/c now it links straight to to Telebrands "as seen on TV" site. I still never made them.

elephantmeg
04-12-2013, 09:38 AM
I've done it several times. Put the cones in a muffin tin, add cake batter most of the way up and frost. Easy. But transport is a PITA if you are taking them to school. I use whatever mix or recipe I would use otherwise.

Jen841
04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
I have made these over a hundred times I would guess.

I use...
Store bought cake mix
Cones
Line cones in loaf pans
Fill with batter to the line (3/4 full?)
Bake per instructions.

Easy way to transport os to put the loaf pans in a shoe box.

Melbel
04-12-2013, 11:23 AM
This has been my DD1's favorite birthday treat to bring to school. We were able to make a gluten free version this year. We have found that the bases of the cones fit better in mini-cupcake pans for baking (not tapered though). We also fill to the 3/4 mark. We definitely prefer to used piped homemade buttercream frosting to make it look like ice-cream (super easy to make and tastes much better). Here is the frosting recipe (we substituted almond milk and Earth's Best spread to make them dairy free): http://www.glorioustreats.com/2011/08/american-buttercream-frosting-recipe.html

These are the cupcakes from last year (decorated by DD1)

Dream
04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
I used this one a couple of years ago and it worked well. Love the effect and the kids did too. :)

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/candy-topped-cupcake-cones/36095491-547e-49eb-9679-155b47eeb217

Thanks for posting. I'm going to give them a try.

Nyfeara
04-12-2013, 11:54 AM
For transporting & baking, you can use the muffin tin or carrier with foil over it (heavy duty is better) and make a spot/hole in the foil for each cone to help hold it upright.

We just used the regular mix. I also wrapped the cones in foil so they didn't brown too much the first time, but the next time I didn't, they were still fine. We also used the multi-color cones (variety pack with plain, red/pink, and green) and the kids loved that too.

lalasmama
04-12-2013, 12:15 PM
When we did these a few years ago, someone gave me the best hint ever--fill the muffin tin 3/4 the way, and then place the cones upside down. When the cupcakes expand, they will fill the inside of the cone. Then, when you take them out, there are flat sides, making frosting easier!