PDA

View Full Version : Best playset features

AngB
04-12-2013, 12:22 AM
We are deciding on a wooden playset and I am wondering what features are 'must haves' and what is overrated/meh, at least for your kids? Has it changed with their ages?

KrisM
04-12-2013, 12:49 AM
My kids are coming up on 6, 7 and 9 within 3 months. For us, the high swing beam is key. All the kids like swinging and even the near 9 year old still enjoys it because it's high enough. Also we got a bigger deck and that's been great for having a bunch of kids playing at once. At time, up to 8 kids are up there and I don't worry someone is going to fall off.

Our slide is deep with sides, but our neighbor's is more flat. For young kids, ours was much better as there was no way they were accidentally going over the side, but we did worry with the neighbor's set up. Now that the youngest is 4 and almost 5, it's not a big deal. But, at 2, it was.

We've got 3 swings and 3 kids. I wouldn't want fewer swings than kids.

georgiegirl
04-12-2013, 08:13 AM
My kids love the tire swing. Not so much individually, but with each other and especially when friends come over. We also have a trapeze with rings and my 7 year old DD loves it. I wish we had a higher swing bar. The kids LOVE swinging. We almost ordered a 2 position swing, but at the last minute I insisted in a three position swing. Thank goodness because we are expected #3 now. To save a little $$$, I ordered my toddler bucket from Costco for ($50ish) rather than paying more from the company.

elbenn
04-12-2013, 08:49 AM
The tube slide gets a lot of play on our playset.

AngB
04-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far!

I told DH we needed 3 swing positions for sure-one for each kid plus room for a glider or something, or for a 3rd kid if we have another.

Anyone have a swing height to recommend or know how tall is yours is if you wish it was higher?

Any thoughts on monkey bars?

georgiegirl
04-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I think out swing beam is 8 feet (our deck is 5 feet), and another foot would be better. However, my 7 year old has no complaints.

I didn't want a deck that was too high for safety reasons (we have the A frame style, so it's more open than the regular playhouses above), so it's hard to get a taller swing beam. I know that some companies have an upgrade in swing beam height.

I also like that our slide has high walls on the sides, so little kids don't fall off. And it makes for a great place to hold on when the kids are climbing up the slide.

georgiegirl
04-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Kids (5+) love monkey bars, but I've heard that's how most kids break their arms. So we passed not only for cost, but also for safety reasons.

AngB
04-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Kids (5+) love monkey bars, but I've heard that's how most kids break their arms. So we passed not only for cost, but also for safety reasons.

DH has said the same thing and doesn't really want monkey bars, but I broke my wrist on roller blades, and my jaw riding my bike (flipped over the handlebars going down a steep hill)...so I'm not really opposed to them (because I figure there are lots of things that may lead to broken bones that I'm not necessarily going to stop my kids from doing.) That said, I'm pretty anti-trampolines so I'm going to have to give this more thought.

arivecchi
04-12-2013, 10:18 AM
The tube slide gets a lot of play on our playset.
:yeahthat:

The tube slide and the regular swings are the most played with features. Ours also has a fort so the kids play pirates up there at times.

ETA: We have this one:

http://www.gorillaplaysets.com/Big-Skye-I-Wood-swing-set-p/01-0007.htm

It's a great height - slightly high for my 4 year old but high enough that the kids will be able to use it for several years.

Nyfeara
04-12-2013, 12:20 PM
We have 3 positions on our set. It's nice b/c we have the regular swing for DS1, a bucket for DS2 and the glider. The set came with a 2nd regular swing and we bought the bucket from WalMart or something.

Our is also an A-frame type with a tire swing under the playdeck. This was a necessity for us b/c DS1 has one at school & loves spinning on it, so we made sure to get a set with that.

The swings, tire swing, slide & playdeck are getting a good bit of activity now. DS1 is not allowed to do the monkey bars without our help & he actually listens. The cargo net and rock wall w/rope are used occasionally, but not as much as the other features.

Now, the sandbox that DH constructed sees a ton of activity!

Melaine
05-07-2013, 11:13 AM
OP, have you gotten your swing set? Just curious!

AngB
05-07-2013, 11:25 AM
OP, have you gotten your swing set? Just curious!

I haven't buckled down and bought it yet but pretty sure we are going with this one, http://www.costco.com/Gorilla%C2%AE-Playsets-Laredo-Playset---Do-It-Yourself.product.100035225.html , luckily we waited b/c we almost bought it when it was 500 more.

Melaine
05-07-2013, 12:02 PM
I haven't buckled down and bought it yet but pretty sure we are going with this one, http://www.costco.com/Gorilla%C2%AE-Playsets-Laredo-Playset---Do-It-Yourself.product.100035225.html , luckily we waited b/c we almost bought it when it was 500 more.

That looks awesome!