PDA

View Full Version : Educated Moms Less Likely to Work

ZeeBaby
04-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Thoughts on this article?

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2013/04/12/17707282-best-educated-moms-are-also-more-likely-to-opt-out-research-finds?lite

westwoodmom04
04-12-2013, 10:51 AM
It matches my personal experience. Of all my women friends from law school, exactly one is still working f/t as a lawyer. I think the reasons the article cites are also on point: highly educated women are statistically likely to have a spouse who is equally well-educated and therefore enough income to support a SAHM; and that the jobs available to these women are generally not particularly flexible, making staying at home more attractive.

AngB
04-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Interesting.

I believe it.

For example, our pediatrician's wife is also a pediatrician, except she has actually never worked. She became a SAHM.

wellyes
04-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Education and connections and higher income = more options. Of course.

smilequeen
04-12-2013, 11:03 AM
It matches my experience too. I have a professional degree from a good school (Northwestern) and once I had a child, I went to part time. Then I had a third and now I don't work. I didn't come from a wealthy family, but I married someone who made this financially feasible, which they did mention in the article.

I have friends with law and medical degrees that either work part time or not at all as well. I was just talking about this with a friend of mine, she's a pediatrician but quit working a few years ago...talking about how we keep our licenses current but neither of us actually has plans to go back to work...

arivecchi
04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
It does not match my experience. I cannot think of any college or law school friends who have stopped working. My law school classmates in particular have pretty intense jobs and even with kids have kept working FT.

mommylamb
04-12-2013, 11:10 AM
:yeahthat: Honestly, they had to do a study to come to this conclusion? I imagine that SAHMs for the most part are at the high and low ends of the education spectrum, and much less common in the middle.

However, I will say that I know a lot of well educated women who stay home and a lot who work. I know more who work, but that's because I work, so for the most part other people who WOH/WAH comprise my social circle. ETA: Most of the people I know are very highly educated, the vast majority having advanced degrees from well respected schools.

AnnieW625
04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
:yeahthat: I have a very similar makeup of friends, family members, and colleagues.

Completely true of the makeup of this board based on prior posts regarding those who stay at home. I just don't see the point of spending upwards of $100k for law school or another very technical and time consuming advanced degree if you aren't going to use it, especially if you are only in your early to mid 30s now and didn't have a whole lot of time to use your career before you had kids. I know if it were me I would pissed off if I was writing a check for student loans in a career I was no longer working in. I know lawyers who used to work in corporate law and then switched to govt. law once they had kids, I know a guy who did the same thing.

boolady
04-12-2013, 11:12 AM
The article isn't just about being educated, though, it's specifically about attending a top tier university. The articles ties the reason more to familial wealth than solely to a spouse with high earning potential. From article:

That’s because other research has shown that graduates from top schools are more likely to come from wealthy familieshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2013/04/12/17707282-best-educated-moms-are-also-more-likely-to-opt-out-research-finds?lite#) and to marry men who also attend prestigious universities and come from similarly wealthy families. That could give them more financial flexibility to opt out.

That the wealthy have more choices as to lifestyle is nothing new. That said, the article also references the fact that graduates of top tier universities are perceived as most desirable, and can hold out for jobs that provide them with the benefits and flexibility they want, or just not work at all.

I went to a top of the second tier law school, graduated 12 years ago, and many of my friends are still working, at least part-time. In my office, of the 15female attorneys, 11 are moms, and 3 others could go at any time, lol. It's not private practice, so more family-friendly, but they're highly educated women, for sure, who are still responsible for their workload and preparing for trial and aren't punching a clock even though it's not private practice.

It seems to me that this article deals not with educated women, in general, but those from a very specific subset of universities, so its' general application is somewhat limited.

georgiegirl
04-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Sounds like me. Ph.D. from an Ivy and a J.D. and I'm a SAHM. Most of my mom friends "just" have bachelors degrees, although I do have a few friends with advanced degrees from elite universities who SAH. In my case, DH makes good money and has an inflexible job. So I stay at home rather than work. And the law prospects in my smaller Midwestern town are crappy.

buttercup
04-12-2013, 11:14 AM
It does not match my experience. I cannot think of any college or law school friends who have stopped working. My law school classmates in particular have pretty intense jobs and even with kids have kept working FT.

It does not match my experience either. Though in my personal case it could be because there is no huge divergence between my salary and my Dh's, we make exactly the same. I could see making a different choice if there was a huge difference to where he was making up the earnings I would be giving up.

boolady
04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
:yeahthat: Honestly, they had to do a study to come to this conclusion? I imagine that SAHMs for the most part are at the high and low ends of the education spectrum, and much less common in the middle.

However, I will say that I know a lot of well educated women who stay home and a lot who work. I know more who work, but that's because I work, so for the most part other people who WOH/WAH comprise my social circle.

I should have just said this. And what wellyes said that mommylamb was quoting. :)

brittone2
04-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Completely true of the makeup of this board based on prior posts regarding those who stay at home. I just don't see the point of spending upwards of $100k for law school or another very technical and time consuming job if you aren't going to use it, especially if you are only in your early to mid 30s now and didn't have a whole lot of time to use your career before you had kids. I know if it were me I would pissed off if I was writing a check for student loans in a career I was no longer working in. I know lawyers who used to work in corporate law and then switched to govt. law once they had kids, I know a guy who did the same thing.
I did not attend law or medical school, but attended a fairly expensive private school for undergrad and graduate school. Fortunately I didn't have to borrow extensively, but I did have some loans. I worked a short time before going through IF and becoming a SAHM. I would have laughed if anyone had told me in my college or grad school days that I would have any desire to SAH. Sometimes things change once you have kids.

buttercup
04-12-2013, 11:20 AM
:yeahthat: I have a very similar makeup of friends, family members, and colleagues.

Completely true of the makeup of this board based on prior posts regarding those who stay at home. I just don't see the point of spending upwards of $100k for law school or another very technical and time consuming advanced degree if you aren't going to use it, especially if you are only in your early to mid 30s now and didn't have a whole lot of time to use your career before you had kids. I know if it were me I would pissed off if I was writing a check for student loans in a career I was no longer working in. I know lawyers who used to work in corporate law and then switched to govt. law once they had kids, I know a guy who did the same thing.

Not everyone is paying student loans. Many of my law schools classmates (most?) had other sources of funding.
And, for those of us that do have student loans, they can get paid in a couple of years. And one can always go back to practicing, or so I'm told.

mommylamb
04-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Also-- and I wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't against me-- but the fact that this is something that someone is researching gives me the heebie-jeebies (the technical term), because I worry that it would be construed that women who go to top tier schools are there to get their MRS degree.

gatorsmom
04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
It seems to me that this article deals not with educated women, in general, but those from a very specific subset of universities, so its' general application is somewhat limited.

:yeahthat: Did everyone here but me go to harvard or Princeton or one of the other top tiered school?

boolady
04-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Also-- and I wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't against me-- but the fact that this is something that someone is researching gives me the heebie-jeebies (the technical term), because I worry that it would be construed that women who go to top tier schools are there to get their MRS degree.

LOL. I don't see it that way at all. The article points out that some people who go to top tier universities come from wealthy backgrounds and marry people from wealthy backgrounds...no kidding, huh, I wouldn't have thought that. Nevertheless, it's painting with an awfully wide brush to say that everyone who gets a top tier education is free to then lark about life and never work.

I really don't know what the point of the article was, because the author then goes on to point out that as a result of going to a top tier school, you have more ability to command good work terms/salaries/etc. Again, not really a shocker, but also not even remotely true for everyone.

larig
04-12-2013, 11:30 AM

You're assuming people don't use it when they stay at home. I am ABD in a PhD program in the learning sciences from a highly rated public uni. I had an assistantship and did not pay for my schooling, in fact I was paid to do research in my field.

I have a child with special needs, and I use my education every day to observe (which helps me to understand his needs better) and teach him. My skills as a researcher and my knowledge about learning are tools that I find essential in helping him to master learning spoken language (his deficit).

My parents and scholarships paid for my undergrad, then I paid for my master's degree myself while I worked full time. I have no regrets, and my parents don't either.

On the other hand, my DH has a degree in Anthropology, which he NEVER uses in his day-to-day work as a programmer. He is a self-taught programmer, no degree program, etc. But, he never has regretted studying anthro, as it was something he enjoyed and values.

I guess my point is sometimes and for some people education is less about the work skills you gain than it is the experience and knowledge for learning/knowing's sake. There's no less value in that, IMO.

Philly Mom
04-12-2013, 11:40 AM

I think some people think that. A male lawyer I used to work with (who has boy/girl twins) told me that he would pay for his son to go to law school but not his daughter. His wife went to a top undergrad and law school and worked at a great firm but SAH now that she has twins. He clearly resents it even though I don't think he would want to be an equal co-parent to make it possible for his wife to work too. He really believes that most women go to top schools for BAs or JDs for MRS degree.

I will also say , I do know some women who did go to top schools for MRS degrees. Not the majority by any means, but their parents encouraged them to find themselves wealthy smart husbands at their ivy league schools.

AnnieW625
04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
........I would have laughed if anyone had told me in my college or grad school days that I would have any desire to SAH. Sometimes things change once you have kids.

See it's funny I don't think I ever thought I would never not work. I don't know why I think that (and I was raised by a SAHM who only had 3 yrs. of college and didn't go back to work until I was 17 part time, and I was 24 before she went back 3/4 time, and she still works 3/4 time now as well) and while I do wish I could stay at home now because some of my closest friends do that and I spend too much time here analyzing and thinking the grass is always way greener on the other side, but it isn't the way it worked out. Now maybe I might have thought about it had DH not gotten laid off right before we got married and he was planning on transferring to another location in his company in another more reasonable COL area and I was out of a job so we probably would have had kids sooner (2003 or 2004 vs. 2006), but at least I would have only had a paid off BA degree so I would have felt like I hadn't wasted money on a degree I might potentially ever use.

Not everyone is paying student loans. Many of my law schools classmates (most?) had other sources of funding.
And, for those of us that do have student loans, they can get paid in a couple of years. And one can always go back to practicing, or so I'm told.

I know I get really cynical and conservative when it comes to money. I had a $25,000 college fund paid for by a family member so that is how I got out with out any debt, but I guess I just want to get the best deal for my money and had I started law school and known I wanted to have kids within 5 yrs., was married or in a serious relationship with someone who had a good career, and potentially wanted to stay at home and never practice law then I probably would have just not gone to law school at all. That is just my mentality though. Of course one HUGE benefit to having a law or medical degree (even more so than a masters and a teaching credential these days) is that it is still fairly easy to get back into the work force if you needed to at anytime.

LOL. I don't see it that way at all. The article points out that some people who go to top tier universities come from wealthy backgrounds and marry people from wealthy backgrounds...no kidding, huh, I wouldn't have thought that. Nevertheless, it's painting with an awfully wide brush to say that everyone who gets a top tier education is free to then lark about life and never work.

I really don't know what the point of the article was, because the author then goes on to point out that as a result of going to a top tier school, you have more ability to command good work terms/salaries/etc. Again, not really a shocker, but also not even remotely true for everyone.

Agree with that 1000%, it was a very basic article for some site trying to look like a well written news site when all it was some no name news blog I have never heard of. I would have trusted it more if it were on USA Today or MSNBC, and think their writing is usually utter garbage as well.

brittone2
04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
You're assuming people don't use it when they stay at home. I am ABD in a PhD program in the learning sciences from a highly rated public uni. I had an assistantship and did not pay for my schooling, in fact I was paid to do research in my field.

I have a child with special needs, and I use my education every day to observe (which helps me to understand his needs better) and teach him. My skills as a researcher and my knowledge about learning are tools that I find essential in helping him to master learning spoken language (his deficit).

My parents and scholarships paid for my undergrad, then I paid for my master's degree myself while I worked full time. I have no regrets, and my parents don't either.

On the other hand, my DH has a degree in Anthropology, which he NEVER uses in his day-to-day work as a programmer. He is a self-taught programmer, no degree program, etc. But, he never has regretted studying anthro, as it was something he enjoyed and values.

I guess my point is sometimes and for some people education is less about the work skills you gain than it is the experience and knowledge for learning/knowing's sake. There's no less value in that, IMO.
I agree with this as well. I have had friends and former classmates ask me why I want to "waste my degree" as a SAHM. Since my profession *can* be flexible (not always as easy as it seems, however), it surprises people that I don't work part time.

I HS my kids, and yes, I view it as a profession of sorts. There's a strong probability we'd be doing private otherwise, and that would be pricey for us financially. I am thankful I had a Jesuit, liberal-arts undergraduate education, and I feel it has really helped me educate my kids the way I want them to be educated.

WHen I worked, I practiced in peds, and yes, having a solid understanding of child development/learning/etc. has helped me with my kids. It helped prior to arriving at the decision to HS, and it has certainly helped me with our HSing journey.

My very middle class parents covered a huge portion of my education, and I am tremendously grateful. I had some substantial scholarships and then some manageable loans. My parents have never, ever expressed that they are disappointed, etc. that I chose to SAH.

eta: DH is a PhD, and yes, his graduate education was covered 100% with a research assistant position, and he received a stipend to cover living expenses. That is typical in PhD programs in the sciences as well as some other fields. He is not a SAHP, but just agreeing with Lariq that there are highly degreed professionals who complete their degrees without large loans.

mommylamb
04-12-2013, 11:52 AM

Yeah, I know you're right. Somehow this study just rubs me the wrong way, even though I'm sure its conclusions (while hardly rocket science) are correct. It also makes me feel like I should be justifying the quality of my education because I do work.

Globetrotter
04-12-2013, 11:59 AM
guess I just want to get the best deal for my money and had I started law school and known I wanted to have kids within 5 yrs., was married or in a serious relationship with someone who had a good career, and potentially wanted to stay at home and never practice law then I probably would have just not gone to law school at all.

I doubt most of these people planned to quit. They went in thinking they could make it work, then reality hit and they decided to re prioritize. I never ever imagined I would end up SAH. In fact, I would have been upset with anyone who implied it, but here I am. Things change once you have kids, and if your dh isn't willing or able to pitch in enough and you have the choice to opt out, is it really surprising that many do?

I am not surprised that wealthy couples have choices - isn't this obvious? :) We are not wealthy but we both went to top notch schools and are well educated, and dh has high income potential, which gave me the option to opt out and WAH once in a while to use my degree. DH got a free ride for his PhD (typical for the sciences) and we paid off my grad school loans early on.

boolady
04-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I know you're right. Somehow this study just rubs me the wrong way, even though I'm sure its conclusions (while hardly rocket science) are correct. It also makes me feel like I should be justifying the quality of my education because I do work.

I agree with you-- it's not really saying anything that isn't common sense and really only applies to a certain subset. I tend to feel like I have to justify that my DH works hard and is an educated, very intelligent person on here sometimes because it's so often thrown around that if you're a "professional," you make a large salary. Um, not necessarily, even with post-bachelor degrees. It's just another example of the painting with a brush that's way too broad.

Bottom line, I don't really get the point of the article.

squimp
04-12-2013, 12:06 PM
I haven't read the article but I think it's a great topic to study. I can think of many of my female cohort of grad students who did not go into the field and became SAHMs. Some of it is that in faculty positions, the demands of being a tenure track prof coincide with the time when you want to have kids and it is really hard. I went through all of that before I got married and so it was easier to devote huge amounts of time to my job when I didn't have a family. If you look at science departments in many universities, they are still overwhelmingly male.

larig
04-12-2013, 12:08 PM
I agree with you-- it's not really saying anything that isn't common sense and really only applies to a certain subset. I tend to feel like I have to justify that my DH works hard and is an educated, very intelligent person on here sometimes because it's so often thrown around that if you're a "professional," you make a large salary. Um, not necessarily, even with post-bachelor degrees. It's just another example of the painting with a brush that's way too broad.

Bottom line, I don't really get the point of the article.

Yeah, and one of the reasons I don't work is because even if I had completed my PhD, it's very likely that I would not necessarily have a tenured-track position (those who graduated from my program a year before me do, but it's been harder for those of us who were finishing since then), and if I did, I wouldn't make much relative to others with similar educations (probably $50,000-60,000 with a PhD). You can be very well-educated and not compensated accordingly.

niccig
04-12-2013, 12:15 PM
I know women that have opted out and women that don't. I also know a couple of stay at home dads that opted out. From what I've seen, it comes down to who earns more, can the family live on one income, does one spouse have crazy schedule that makes helping out difficult, and does the spouse staying home earn enough to cover childcare costs.

I also have friends and family that don't work, whose husbands don't earn a lot of money and they struggle. One friend admitted she will never ever work again and it's up to her DH to work out how to support the family. She was a teacher and her kids are in school full-time. I have to admit, I don't understand this and find it unfair to the DH that he alone bears financial responsibility. But it's not my marriage.

I SAH when DS was born because of DH's crazy schedule, but I knew I would go back to work someday. I'm working part-time and in school full-time to change to career that pays more and should be more flexible for when DH's work slows down.

StantonHyde
04-12-2013, 12:18 PM
My family places a HUGE emphasis on education. I am the only one of the 4 of us who does not have the title of "doctor". I have an MA that I have never used. BUT---an education is highly valuable. No one can ever take it from you. I learned how to critically evaluate arguments, to think, to write, and to work really, really hard. In grad school, I learned how NOT to work--there was more than any human could do. So I learned to prioritize and my writing got really, really good. College is not technical school. You do not get back your money. You get back an education, a foundation.

My degrees have opened doors for me and gotten me more pay. Once you have a college education--you have choices. I don't care what my kids do after college as long as they are happy, self-reliant, and legally employed! But if you don't have a degree, then you are closed out of many things.

I have a top tier degree. I would have needed to have stayed on the East Coast for it really to mean anything though. Top tiers make a difference when you are just starting out or when you are trying to be president of something. But in the middle, they don't mean that much. DH went to public university and public med school. He got the same residency people from private u's got. But he didn't want to go into academics--that might have made a difference.

I ALWAYS thought I would work and at the highest levels. Then, when I was in my mid 30s, I got a look at the highest levels and I didn't like what that lifestyle looked like. And then I had a preemie with a DH who has a totally inflexible job. Something had to give!! I now love working PT because I have my time, I can meet my kids' needs, and I don't have to resent DH because he can't help out. And--I still have my foot in the door. I can always bump up.

Life changes. Or--people plan, God laughs.

westwoodmom04
04-12-2013, 12:21 PM
I went to an Ivy league law school, and went to a college that is ranked in the top 15. I was the poster above who said only one of my law school friends works f/t. For that matter, most of my women college friends only work p/t or not at all as well. I don't have any school-related debt (neither does my husband) and I did work for 13 years and plan to work p/t in the future. I also have worked since having kids.

Globetrotter
04-12-2013, 12:22 PM
BUT---an education is highly valuable. No one can ever take it from you. I learned how to critically evaluate arguments, to think, to write, and to work really, really hard. In grad school, I learned how NOT to work--there was more than any human could do. So I learned to prioritize and my writing got really, really good. College is not technical school. You do not get back your money. You get back an education, a foundation.

My degrees have opened doors for me and gotten me more pay. Once you have a college education--you have choices. I don't care what my kids do after college as long as they are happy, self-reliant, and legally employed! But if you don't have a degree, then you are closed out of many things.

:yeahthat: Well said. Also, if you have an education, you have the potential to get back on track if you need to (with a whole lot of hard work and persistence, no doubt).

westwoodmom04
04-12-2013, 12:22 PM
My family places a HUGE emphasis on education. I am the only one of the 4 of us who does not have the title of "doctor". I have an MA that I have never used. BUT---an education is highly valuable. No one can ever take it from you. I learned how to critically evaluate arguments, to think, to write, and to work really, really hard. In grad school, I learned how NOT to work--there was more than any human could do. So I learned to prioritize and my writing got really, really good. College is not technical school. You do not get back your money. You get back an education, a foundation.

I have a top tier degree. I would have needed to have stayed on the East Coast for it really to mean anything though. Top tiers make a difference when you are just starting out or when you are trying to be president of something. But in the middle, they don't mean that much. DH went to public university and public med school. He got the same residency people from private u's got. But he didn't want to go into academics--that might have made a difference.

I ALWAYS thought I would work and at the highest levels. Then, when I was in my mid 30s, I got a look at the highest levels and I didn't like what that lifestyle looked like. And then I had a preemie with a DH who has a totally inflexible job. Something had to give!! I now love working PT because I have my time, I can meet my kids' needs, and I don't have to resent DH because he can't help out. And--I still have my foot in the door. I can always bump up.

I identify with your last paragraph 100 percent (but no preemie).

maestramommy
04-12-2013, 12:38 PM
It matches my personal experience. Of all my women friends from law school, exactly one is still working f/t as a lawyer. I think the reasons the article cites are also on point: highly educated women are statistically likely to have a spouse who is equally well-educated and therefore enough income to support a SAHM; and that the jobs available to these women are generally not particularly flexible, making staying at home more attractive.

Haven't read the article, but I would guess it's like pp said. That doesn't mean I don't know any educated women that DO work. I know many. I think it's a function of how much their career means to them, as well as, there are some professions (I'd guess medicine is one) that are not forgiving of a lengthy absence. Plus if you were in a high powered career, you'd be more likely to be able to afford quality childcare.

brittone2
04-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Haven't read the article, but I would guess it's like pp said. That doesn't mean I don't know any educated women that DO work. I know many. I think it's a function of how much their career means to them, as well as, there are some professions (I'd guess medicine is one) that are not forgiving of a lengthy absence. Plus if you were in a high powered career, you'd be more likely to be able to afford quality childcare.
:yeahthat:

o_mom
04-12-2013, 12:55 PM
:yeahthat: Well said. Also, if you have an education, you have the potential to get back on track if you need to (with a whole lot of hard work and persistence, no doubt).

I have just started back to work part-time after 9 years at home. I'm not jumping back in where I left and I missed years of earnings, but I'm way ahead of not having a degree at all. The first three years I was home, I could have pretty much gone back with no issue if I needed, it was like an extra insurance policy. At this point I am confident that I could get back into a decent-paying position within a year or two if needed.

I do think there is much argument here about not much of a finding. The difference between women from top-tier schools and lowest-tier schools was only 10 percentage points. 70 percent vs 80 percent working. I didn't see anything about how many men from those same categories were working/not working. It still means that the majority of women, even from those top-tier schools, are not staying home with their kids. Also, this only looked at women with children under 18, not all women with higher education.

westwoodmom04
04-12-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't think that the school you went to determines whether you work or not. I think it is almost entirely based on the spouses' job. Most of the highly educated women I know who do not work f/t who have a kids have a spouse with a very hours based job (i.e. medicine, investment banking, big firm lawyer, C-level executive). These jobs almost dictate a stay at home spouseor alternatively, lots of household help (beyond just one nanny). Most of the wives work p/t or plan to in the near future. On the other hand, the few women I know that stayed a big law firms after kids have a husband with a very flexible job, or one that is a SAHD. Even the gay couples I know have this dichotomy. Until and unless the demands of these jobs change, I think one parent will continue to downsize their career while their kids are small.

sste
04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
I really hope DD goes into a family-friendly field so that she has options. And I also hope she goes into a field that she can cycle in and out securely. I think it is awful what happens in the U.S. to women who leave the career track and then experience spousal death/divorce/disability. Without a social safety net and in my view divisions of marital assets that don't compensate women for their SAH contribution, they can end up in a bad place financially. I don't feel that DD has to work but I fervently hope she is in a field where she can re-enter work fairly easily and rapidly if her circumstances change.

I was extremely lucky in that I followed the track of the women in the study *but* I chose a subfield that is very flexible and that I love. Alot of people that are on that track tend to like to receive positive feedback and excel (I did!) and school and prizes are very reinforcing of that . . . but to sustain a satisfying career you have to like what you actually do day to day. Some of high-powered women I know who phased out never really had their heart in the job in the first place.

Beth24
04-12-2013, 01:28 PM

:yeahthat: Very well said. I use the skills I learned a top tier law school every day even though for right now I SAH. It's not always so clear when you're younger what path your life will take. I would hate for women to question the value of their education because one day they may decide to SAH.

arivecchi
04-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Funny westwoodmom, I have had the exact opposite experience. What many of my law school classmates and past firm colleagues have done is they've gone in-house to have a less hectic schedule, but I seriously cannot think of one past law school classmate or colleague that left work to SAH.

My DH has crazy hours as a law firm partner while I work FT and we have made it work. It's hectic, but it works. SAH was never an option for me. I think I would go slightly insane at home. :p

crl
04-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Well, my law school loans were paid off by the time I became a SAHM. My law school was top twenty when I attended (it's not anymore) but it was also a state school so I paid in state tuition after the first year. And I lived in the dorm so I would have less in loans.

But life also just happens and plans change. Dh was not able to be flexible with his work at all when we adopted ds as he was still in the Marine Corps. And my work refused to negotiate a real part time schedule (thank you, GW Bush appointees).

I am glad dh makes enough that I have the flexibility to stay home regardless of my educational background.

(Dh also went to a top tier state law school. Neither of us comes from money at all though. So we don't fit that profile.)

Catherine

ETA. I think the lack of flexibility in many "high-powered" careers is one reason many women with advanced degrees end up staying at home. "Part time" in the law usually means at least forty hours a week.

anonomom
04-12-2013, 02:14 PM
The way I see it, life is long. I have the luxury of being able to spend this time with my kids and when I'm done doing that, I will go back to my career. The fact that I will spend 10 of my 40-or-so career-aged years raising kids instead doesn't mean having gone to law school was a waste.

FWIW, I was seven years old when I decided I wanted to be a lawyer. I'm told other little girls play bride (though I never knew one who did); I played Divorce Court. That dream was the guiding force in my life until I got my JD 17 years later. I loved every day of the four years I spent practicing and I very much look forward to going back to work. But even if my plans change and I never work another day, I will never regret going to college and law school. That journey was worth everything I put into it.

crl
04-12-2013, 02:19 PM
I don't think that the school you went to determines whether you work or not. I think it is almost entirely based on the spouses' job. Most of the highly educated women I know who do not work f/t who have a kids have a spouse with a very hours based job (i.e. medicine, investment banking, big firm lawyer, C-level executive). These jobs almost dictate a stay at home spouseor alternatively, lots of household help (beyond just one nanny). Most of the wives work p/t or plan to in the near future. On the other hand, the few women I know that stayed a big law firms after kids have a husband with a very flexible job, or one that is a SAHD. Even the gay couples I know have this dichotomy. Until and unless the demands of these jobs change, I think one parent will continue to downsize their career while their kids are small.

That's been my experience. Of course you can make it work to stay working, but then you have to hire a boatload of help. Because dh can't do drop off, he can't do pick up, he can't stay home with a sick kid, he's just not reliably available.

So there isn't much money in staying in, at least in the short term, and there are huge trade offs. For me, we had just adopted a toddler who cried when I stood up and walked ten feet away from him to get a drink of water. Daycare was obviously going to be problematic. A nanny would have eaten up a huge portion of my salary. . . . And I felt like ds needed a parent home with him most of the time at that point

There are also huge downsides to the route I chose. It may be impossible for me to go back. Financial risks for us as a family and me individually--which we have done our best to mitigate with savings and insurance policies. And so on.

Catherine

123LuckyMom
04-12-2013, 02:45 PM
I think some people think that. A male lawyer I used to work with (who has boy/girl twins) told me that he would pay for his son to go to law school but not his daughter. His wife went to a top undergrad and law school and worked at a great firm but SAH now that she has twins. He clearly resents it even though I don't think he would want to be an equal co-parent to make it possible for his wife to work too. He really believes that most women go to top schools for BAs or JDs for MRS degree.

I will also say , I do know some women who did go to top schools for MRS degrees. Not the majority by any means, but their parents encouraged them to find themselves wealthy smart husbands at their ivy league schools.

Yuck! Just Yuck!

All my degrees are from Ivy League schools, and I do come from wealth, but, while my parents did finance my undergraduate education, I paid for all my graduate degrees. I have no student loans. I don't fit the article, though, because my DH came from poverty. Even though he was the youngest son, he dropped out of high school to support his family when his dad died. He worked in a warehouse, as a furniture mover, as a bike messenger, and then he started working in a hospital in the telemetry unit and then became an EMT. He then worked his way all the way through a PhD and became a psychologist. He's an amazing man. All but three of his grade school friends are in prison or dead, but he has a PhD and supports a family!

We knew before we got married that I would want to stay home with the children. Both of us, given our particular upbringings, felt that was important. I don't feel that my education was wasted at all! I use what I've learned every single day. In my mind, no education is ever wasted. My children, my husband, and my community all benefit from my education, as do I.

llama8
04-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Almost of my friends including myself have Master's Degrees and every single one of use went back to work except for one because they have a special needs child.
Two friends that have associate's degrees stayed home because they could not afford childcare.

I find my situation and experiences to be the opposite of the article.

I love my job and it is very family friendly. Being a SAHM is not for me. I did it for 9 months and I went stir crazy! I love my kids, but I also like having a career. I am lucky that I pick them up at 3:00 each day.

Philly Mom
04-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Yuck! Just Yuck!

All my degrees are from Ivy League schools, and I do come from wealth, but, while my parents did finance my undergraduate education, I paid for all my graduate degrees. I have no student loans. I don't fit the article, though, because my DH came from poverty. Even though he was the youngest son, he dropped out of high school to support his family when his dad died. He worked in a warehouse, as a furniture mover, as a bike messenger, and then he started working in a hospital in the telemetry unit and then became an EMT. He then worked his way all the way through a PhD and became a psychologist. He's an amazing man. All but three of his grade school friends are in prison or dead, but he has a PhD and supports a family!

We knew before we got married that I would want to stay home with the children. Both of us, given our particular upbringings, felt that was important. I don't feel that my education was wasted at all! I use what I've learned every single day. In my mind, no education is ever wasted. My children, my husband, and my community all benefit from my education, as do I.

Yuck does not begin to describe his feelings. His comments have always stayed with me as an example of a man who does not respect his wife. IMO, having the privilege to pay for a child's education is only a waste if the child blows off the education.

bisous
04-12-2013, 02:58 PM
The way I see it, life is long. I have the luxury of being able to spend this time with my kids and when I'm done doing that, I will go back to my career. The fact that I will spend 10 of my 40-or-so career-aged years raising kids instead doesn't mean having gone to law school was a waste.

This is precisely how I see it. Although unlike anonomom, I don't think the job I did pre-kids was my calling. I'm thinking about what I'd like to do with the rest of my life now and I'm trying to get myself set up for that. But I'm enjoying the heck out of staying at home for now.

But as a disclaimer, I (and evidently only gatorsmom, lol) did NOT attend an Ivy. It was my first choice school and it was just fine but it wasn't a top tier so I am outside the parameters of this study.

crl
04-12-2013, 03:04 PM
I did NOT go to an Ivy League school. My law school was a top tier school though, as in top twenty.

I had my law degree first. In fact when we met dh was back at school, after a stint as an enlisted Marine, to finish his undergraduate degree. He did not get his law degree until after we had been married for several years.

Catherine

anonomom
04-12-2013, 03:08 PM
This is precisely how I see it. Although unlike anonomom, I don't think the job I did pre-kids was my calling. I'm thinking about what I'd like to do with the rest of my life now and I'm trying to get myself set up for that. But I'm enjoying the heck out of staying at home for now.

But as a disclaimer, I (and evidently only gatorsmom, lol) did NOT attend an Ivy. It was my first choice school and it was just fine but it wasn't a top tier so I am outside the parameters of this study.

I wasn't Ivy, either. My undergrad is a fairly no-name school and my law school was not in the top 10.

sste
04-12-2013, 03:54 PM
I just wanted to add that on the value of education point I absolutely believe --and much research supports--the value of education beyond the workplace. Childhood outcomes for children of highly educated moms, voting, tolerance of racial diversity and a host of other positive outcomes are strongly associated with higher education attainment. That is why I always have mixed feelings about the "return on investment" approach to education -- I think it is a factor but not the only factor one should consider.

An additional nuance though is that I don't think these benefits are specific to highly expensive or ivy league education. If you aren't going to be working in a wage market, it might be nice to attain these benefits without the enormous cost of private, high-prestige institution. But who knows these things going in? Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

lyt202
04-12-2013, 04:05 PM
This does not match my experience at all. DH and I went to top law schools and met at a top law firm. Most of our friends are lawyers with similar backgrounds and only two of them do not work. One always wanted to be a SAHM and once they had their third, she thought she could justify staying home because the cost of daycare would eat up the second salary. Our other friend who does not work was widowed at a young age and has taken a few years off to figure out what she wants to do. She plans to start working again as soon as she relocates to her preferred city.

westwoodmom04
04-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Funny westwoodmom, I have had the exact opposite experience. What many of my law school classmates and past firm colleagues have done is they've gone in-house to have a less hectic schedule, but I seriously cannot think of one past law school classmate or colleague that left work to SAH.

My DH has crazy hours as a law firm partner while I work FT and we have made it work. It's hectic, but it works. SAH was never an option for me. I think I would go slightly insane at home. :p

Not all SAH, but just one works f/t as a lawyer. Some have various types of p/t gigs.

I think we would probably agree that most women do not stay at big firms. Out of my entering class and the class in front and behind, exactly one woman stayed to make partner (she has no children), and one stayed in a p/t administrative (departmental administration) role, she has 4 children. Some did go to smaller firms and/or inhouse, and some are no longer practicing law/SAH. Of those same 3 classes, five men made partner, all have kids and none have spouses that work outside the home.

daniele_ut
04-12-2013, 04:59 PM

My education has incredible value to me and to my family beyond the $ amount I make. I worked full time for 15 years in my career after receiving a BA and MFA. I became a SAHM less than 2 years ago.

Also, something no one ever wants to think about is what would happen in the case of a divorce or death of a spouse. In my case my education would allow me to go back to work fairly easily and as soon as necessary.

AnnieW625
04-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Also, something no one ever wants to think about is what would happen in the case of a divorce or death of a spouse. In my case my education would allow me to go back to work fairly easily and as soon as necessary.

I agree with this and with what StantonHyde said in parts of her post as well. Education is very important and I do think that we use pieces of our education while educating our children on a daily basis either as a working or stay at home home. The quoted part above is the reason I work as well. I don't have a masters degree or any other type of advanced degree that could easily catapult me back into the working world if I lost a spouse and was a SAHM for a long time prior to needing to find work.

Now if my DH made double or triple his salary (that would put him at about $250K) or we lived in a super cheap COL area then I would probably feel a bit more secure about being a SAHM if and when my spouse were to die because we'd be able to afford a much bigger life insurance policy that could easily fund college or give me the ability to not have to rush to find work or would partially fund private or fully fund public college for our girls, and maybe pay off the house. I sometimes do worry for my friends who are SAHMs and havent worked in ages and don't have advanced degrees because I feel like they might have a hard time making ends meet.

TxCat
04-12-2013, 06:43 PM
I went to an elite undergrad and a top 20 medical school. My experience has been that a large number of my acquaintances and friends from college did become SAHMs, but very few of my friends and classmates from medical school did. Some have managed to go part-time, but even part-time for most physicians is at least 30 hours/week. Most of my medical school classmates work FT, even with having children. However, a lot of my female classmates did choose their specialties in part due to how family friendly the field was, particularly with regard to schedule.

ZeeBaby
04-12-2013, 10:15 PM
I went to a top tier ivy law school. I work FT as an attorney for the government. It is tough, but I make it work by having a flexible job. I am able to pick up and drop off DDs, make school events and take them to most of their drs appts. The downside is that I don't make anywhere near what I consider to be my earning potential. I am hoping to me make some moves next year, which will lead to increased salary, but it is hard. I currently have 34 sick days in the bank, 4 weeks vacation and pay very reasonable rates for health insurance. I also have a decent commute. DH works 1.5 hrs away and we couldn't afford to pay the premiums at his company. Each time a potentially more lucrative opportunity comes up, I have to think about what will work best for the family. So yes, I went to a top 10 law school, but it doesn't solve all my problems. If DH made more, I would definitely look at doing something else less stressful.

bigpassport
04-13-2013, 01:04 AM
I agree with those who have commented that the article has very limited applicability, but I will throw my experience into the ring anyway. I didn't go to a top tier law school but I did go to a top tier college. I've been practicing law for almost 20 years. When I went to law school, I had no idea I would ever want to be a SAHM. SH is also an attorney, but graduated years after me and is still working his way up the income ladder. Since I had DS, finances have kept me from being a SAHM. With twins on the way, I will quit and we will just make it work. So for me, the deciding factor has been DH's income. I can see--generally speaking--how a woman graduating from a top tier graduate school would make more connections with similarly situated high income men and thereby be more likely to marry someone who could provide the means for her to SAH.

niccig
04-13-2013, 06:08 AM
I don't have a masters degree or any other type of advanced degree that could easily catapult me back into the working world if I lost a spouse and was a SAHM for a long time prior to needing to find work.

Advance degree is no guarantee you can get back into workplace. I can't get a librarian job as there's none going. My old employer would take me back IF they had something, but that's only because I've kept in contact, do project work so my skills are getting updated (have to learn new software they're using etc).

A mom I know from DS's school has PhD and she told me how it's proving difficult for her to get back in. She was in academia, has experience, publications, amazing references and she can't get an interview - she puts it down to age as well, as she's over 50.

I'm sure some areas are easier than others to re-enter.

I know for me, I'll feel safer when I'm back working. DH's work is OK for now, but long-term it doesn't look great. I lived through my mum trying to get back into teaching after a divorce, and have seen a friend deal with early death of her DH. I don't earn as much as DH does, but we could get by with much belt tightening. DH does have large insurance policy, but when you factor in decades of me still living and having DS to raise, it's not going to last without me working in some form.

westwoodmom04
04-13-2013, 10:00 AM
I went to a top tier ivy law school. I work FT as an attorney for the government. It is tough, but I make it work by having a flexible job. I am able to pick up and drop off DDs, make school events and take them to most of their drs appts. The downside is that I don't make anywhere near what I consider to be my earning potential. I am hoping to me make some moves next year, which will lead to increased salary, but it is hard. I currently have 34 sick days in the bank, 4 weeks vacation and pay very reasonable rates for health insurance. I also have a decent commute. DH works 1.5 hrs away and we couldn't afford to pay the premiums at his company. Each time a potentially more lucrative opportunity comes up, I have to think about what will work best for the family. So yes, I went to a top 10 law school, but it doesn't solve all my problems. If DH made more, I would definitely look at doing something else less stressful.

Being a government attorney was definitely the best law job I had and I would do it again in a heart beat if there was a good local option. Yes, you get paid a lot less than private practice, but you also work a lot less (or at least people did in the agency I worked at). You can accrue a ton of vacation/sick days, get great benefits, the works is generally interesting, and no worries about billable hours. I broke down my hourly pay rate as a government attorney compared to big law firm, and it was actually pretty similar because of the ridiculous hours I worked in private practice.

I don't think its ever easy to be a working mom (or really, any mom:)) but for a lawyer, you probably have it as good as it gets.

Nooknookmom
04-13-2013, 12:35 PM
:yeahthat: Did everyone here but me go to harvard or Princeton or one of the other top tiered school?

Lol um nope, I'm even lower tham that...I'm a slug...I'm a contrctor!!!!

I went to Purdue for a year, continued taking college courses elsewhere but married, moved to SoCal and started living. Which meant I had to work-and it was a high stress constr.mgt position. I was still taking classes but it was wearing me out. Trying to balance DH (not supportive at the tim) & DD1 (i worked so much i felt horrible leaving for classes at night) I still have to finish my bachelors.

At one point I was accepted into a local 4yr pretty prestigious school and was on the Pre-law track...they also have a full law program, but I knew I'd lose so much time with DD1. Then DD2 suprised us, and that went on hold.

So I'm not Ivy educated - although I can rip ivy off a wall and re-stucco it like a champ......All by myself.

daisymommy
04-14-2013, 06:54 PM
I joke that I have a very expensive "Mrs." Degree ;) and it makes me a little sick. I can't decide if I would have rather not spent all that money on college, only to end up staying home with my kids--it feels so wasteful! or be thankful I have it as a back up in case I need to go to work later on and that the experience was so wonderful.

Sent from my iPad

ZeeBaby
04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Being a government attorney was definitely the best law job I had and I would do it again in a heart beat if there was a good local option. Yes, you get paid a lot less than private practice, but you also work a lot less (or at least people did in the agency I worked at). You can accrue a ton of vacation/sick days, get great benefits, the works is generally interesting, and no worries about billable hours. I broke down my hourly pay rate as a government attorney compared to big law firm, and it was actually pretty similar because of the ridiculous hours I worked in private practice.

I don't think its ever easy to be a working mom (or really, any mom:)) but for a lawyer, you probably have it as good as it gets.

I sometimes wonder about this. I currently work in state government. I am hoping a transition to federal work will be more satisfying for me and more lucrative as well.

daisysmom
04-14-2013, 08:46 PM
And one can always go back to practicing, or so I'm told.

I don't think this is true in law anymore. I graduated 19 years ago and was a full time partner at a large international law firm, and now am part time at similar large firm. I think it is very hard to leave practice all together for longer than a year and come back. We see almost all women with children at our firms go part time for at least some time, but those that leave haven't come back. From my graduating class, only two good friends aren't working at all.

westwoodmom04
04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
I don't think this is true in law anymore. I graduated 19 years ago and was a full time partner at a large international law firm, and now am part time at similar large firm. I think it is very hard to leave practice all together for longer than a year and come back. We see almost all women with children at our firms go part time for at least some time, but those that leave haven't come back. From my graduating class, only two good friends aren't working at all.

I left for five years, and it only took me about six months to find a new law job when I decided to go back (and this was during the recession of 2009). The new job was a good one at a well-regarded federal agency. So it's definitely possible, but I'm would guess the longer you work before you have kids, the less difficult it is to go back.

westwoodmom04
04-14-2013, 09:13 PM
I sometimes wonder about this. I currently work in state government. I am hoping a transition to federal work will be more satisfying for me and more lucrative as well.

I think you will be able to do so fairly easily. I was at a federal agency and a fair amount of my co-workers had previously worked in state government.

crl
04-14-2013, 10:01 PM
I left for five years, and it only took me about six months to find a new law job when I decided to go back (and this was during the recession of 2009). The new job was a good one at a well-regarded federal agency. So it's definitely possible, but I'm would guess the longer you work before you have kids, the less difficult it is to go back.

I actually think it will be very difficult for me to go back. I wil have been out for over ten years though by the time dd goes to K. And my field was a very narrow speciality. Lots of out of work lawyers. The federal jobs around here get thousands of applications for every opening.

Catherine

BayGirl2
04-15-2013, 12:43 AM
I see lot of comments about law school but no one has mentioned Business school. The different dynamic there is that the average student at top tier Bschools has at least 4 years of work experience after undergrad. You are expected to be fairly committed before applying and enter in the mid to late 20's instead of early 20's. Most top tier Bschools are 30% or less female (well they were 10 years ago, I don't think that's changed drastically). That means a lot of the women who see themselves as SAHMs in the near future don't even bother.

Within my class at a top 20 school there were about 50 women, I only know of 2 who SAH. There were also 12 marriages between couples who met in school.

Low % of females in Bschools is one reason attributed to fewer female executives. I just think its almost the inverse of those who got a law degree, married someone and then chose to get off the fast track. In business more women just choose not to get the advanceed degree in the first place.

janine
04-15-2013, 08:58 AM

I don't think the conclusion should be that education means that the SAHM choice is the "smarter" one. More likely that those who are in this position are going to have more options and marry those with more options IMO.

I have mixed feelings on this to be honest.

zukeypur
04-15-2013, 09:56 AM
I haven't read the article yet, but I began to notice last week that every single one of the girls in the top ten of my high school class are SAHMs except for one who is single. We all graduated from college, several from grad school as well.

buttercup
04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
It wouldn't be a law firm i would go back to.

jenmcadams
04-15-2013, 11:10 AM
I see lot of comments about law school but no one has mentioned Business school. The different dynamic there is that the average student at top tier Bschools has at least 4 years of work experience after undergrad. You are expected to be fairly committed before applying and enter in the mid to late 20's instead of early 20's. Most top tier Bschools are 30% or less female (well they were 10 years ago, I don't think that's changed drastically). That means a lot of the women who see themselves as SAHMs in the near future don't even bother.

Within my class at a top 20 school there were about 50 women, I only know of 2 who SAH. There were also 12 marriages between couples who met in school.

Low % of females in Bschools is one reason attributed to fewer female executives. I just think its almost the inverse of those who got a law degree, married someone and then chose to get off the fast track. In business more women just choose not to get the advanceed degree in the first place.

I agree with many of your points - in fact, when I first applied to Business school, I got waitlisted at Stanford (ended up getting in the next year, but chose to go to Kellogg) and I know part of it was because when I talked about where I wanted to be in 10-15 years, I wasn't aggressive enough in my career goals and talked about the fact that I planned to slow down with kids (I was too honest :)). Even though I ultimately got in, the feedback I got from the admissions person that told me that was part of the reason I hadn't been admitted definitely soured me a little on the program and probably influenced me choosing Kellogg over the GSB the next year. I totally understand their perspective - they want their graduates to be leaders in industry and while I know I had that potential, my personal ambitions were different than the norm.

I graduated from Kellogg back in 1999 and worked for 3 years full time, had my daughter, did some part time consulting on and off over the years, but I've mostly been home since my son was born almost 8 years ago. I know at least 6 women who are staying home from my class and I'm not great at keeping in touch with folks. I'm actually friends with a whole bunch of women from other top business schools, (Stanford, Wharton, HBS, Chicago, etc.) who all stay home here in Denver. Most do something else and all are able to stay home because they have partners who earn a good living, but none are trust fund/independently wealthy types.

It's interesting now - I've been approached a few times lately to go back to work and while I can't imagine doing it in the next 6 months (my DD is starting a private middle school in the Fall and coordination and schedules would be tough with my DH's new business), I'm more open to going back in some capacity in the next few years. My DH would prefer I never go back, but we're behind on retirement/college and if we don't catch up soon (i.e. if his new venture isn't as successful as we hope), I'll be headed back no matter what.

LizLemon
04-15-2013, 01:58 PM

I don't think the conclusion should be that education means that the SAHM choice is the "smarter" one. More likely that those who are in this position are going to have more options and marry those with more options IMO.

I have mixed feelings on this to be honest.

But again, it is 70% versus 80% between the two groups. In both groups, the vast majority of mothers were working. A statistically significant difference, yes, but how significant in real-life terms?

janine
04-15-2013, 02:39 PM
But again, it is 70% versus 80% between the two groups. In both groups, the vast majority of mothers were working. A statistically significant difference, yes, but how significant in real-life terms?

Good point. Maybe it's significant because those with higher education and more options have a choice and it seems that a high number are choosing to stay home.

This is not at all directed at anyone here, but it does remind me of a girl in college who applied (and went) to law school and said her intention was to meet a lawyer and stay at home. I always thought that was so odd, but maybe she knew what she was talking about :).