PDA

View Full Version : Invite sent/given on 4-15 (Monday) for a 4-27 (Saturday) party, is that too late?

AnnieW625
04-12-2013, 01:28 PM
I am planning DD2's 3rd birthday party at the park down the street from our house.

I can't believe April is almost half over (having spring break and being on vacation the first week of the month didn't help, and I have been playing catch up all week).

If you received an invite on April 15th for a party on April 27th would that be enough time to plan on going? The majority of the children who will be invited will be under 5 so no real conflicts (the siblings are between 5 and 7 and a few might have T Ball, but a parent could always bring the younger sibling) and IMHO I'd rather keep it in April because May just seems to get so much busier. This would be the plan if I did paper invites as I would have them ready for Monday morning so the DCP can hand them out.

One bonus to evite is that the email can go out today. I just emailed my DCP for a list of email addresses, but I still kind of prefer paper invites (but I think that is me being old school;)).

Also would you be irritated if a daycare mom used your email for an evite? I know most of the moms outside of daycare, but there are still a few I don't know well so I don't know if they would take offense to it or not.

Which would you prefer?

iaam
04-12-2013, 01:33 PM
I would be fine with the timing (i.e., receiving the invite on 4/15).

Our pre-school doesn't share email addresses, so that hasn't been an option for us. I would be OK either way though.

Can you send an evite to the people you know (as an advance heads-up) and then follow up with a paper invitation to everyone on Monday?

nfowife
04-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I hope so...that's what we are doing :)

squimp
04-12-2013, 01:49 PM
I think not, that would be early around here!

Sweetsunshine
04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Hope its enough time, I just mailed my DD's invites today for a party on the 28th.

I wouldn't be bothered by getting an evite because my email was given out, but I could see some people bothered by it if permission wasn't asked. At the beginning of every school year I've always been asked by the teacher about being included on a contact list which is given to all parents. Not sure how daycares handle it.

I kind of prefer paper invites because I can stick it on the bulletin board by the calendar as a reminder. I know evite let's you send,out reminders but it might come too late. Good luck with the RSVPs!

MSWR0319
04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
I think so! I mailed our invites Monday morning for a party on the 21st. Time just got the best of me this month!

BabyBearsMom
04-12-2013, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't be annoyed by the late invite, but my girls likely wouldn't go either. We usually make plans 4 weeks in advance and our weekends are whirlwinds. If I were giving that kind of timing for invitations, I would not expect good turn out.

I would not be annoyed at someone using my e-mail for evites. I prefer them to paper invitations.

bisous
04-12-2013, 03:04 PM
This is typical for our circle but I do often find it is not quite enough notice. If we can go, we still will but sometimes we have already made plans. But like I said, VERY typical for our circle so I don't think it should be a problem for you!

AnnieW625
04-12-2013, 03:07 PM
I wish I were that organized. In an ideal world I would have had them out the Thursday before spring break but I was doing DD1's birthday party at the time. If I wanted 4 weeks notice that would be the Saturday before Mother's Day, and I like to go out of town for Mother's Day (and kind of assume that is a family weekend for many people).

kdeunc
04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
I think you should be OK. No one here gives 4 weeks notice and most are a week or so. I generally try to do 2 weeks.

AngB
04-12-2013, 03:43 PM
I just mailed out invites for 4/28 on Monday, it was a bit late, but oh well. He's 2, we really just want an excuse to bbq with our family and friends and let the kids play.

YouAreTheFocus
04-12-2013, 03:57 PM
As far as the timing, I think either way is fine. I don't think finding out today vs Monday is that much of a difference.

And personally, I prefer paper invites as well. I just enjoy the whole process of picking them out/creating/putting them together..and having a physical copy to save. But in my (short) experience, evites just work better. When DS turned 2 I did paper invites, put them in the kids cubbies at daycare. I got very few rsvps, and then had to ask after ppl. A lot of them said the invite never made it out of their car or they stuck it somewhere & forgot, etc. So for #3 I just gave in and did evites, it seems they are less frequently lost or forgotten, especially with the system sending out updates & reminders.

fauve01
04-12-2013, 04:30 PM
around here we get about 3 weeks, which is good because weekends get booked up fast! I prefer 4 weeks notice so I can reschedule dd's regular Saturday lesson. yesterday dd got an invite for a party the first weekend in may.

I prefer getting a paper invite because evite hates me and I don't get notices from them. I have checked settings, emailed their CS, but nothing helps. we've missed stuff because of it.

hth.

daniele_ut
04-12-2013, 04:34 PM
I frequently get invites on Wednesday for parties on Saturday so I would say you are doing fine!

sophiesmom03
04-12-2013, 07:06 PM
We get invitations 1-2 weeks in advance for park and home parties. For "activity" parties usually earlier bc they need a count. Either way is fine with us.