PDA

View Full Version : "Normal" Pregnancy Weight Gain

marymoo86
04-12-2013, 01:49 PM
I know this varies depending upon starting weight and what part of pregnancy.

But what is the general amount of weight a normal BMI/starting weight person should gain between monthly OB visit? The only guideline is 35lbs but that is the total amount.

Any good rule of thumb?

brittone2
04-12-2013, 01:59 PM
I always gained in fits and starts. Like some weeks I was up several lbs, and then other weeks I gained very little. I would try not to focus too much on the week to week or month to month thing, because IME that isn't very predictable. I think it is good to have an overall feel for how things are going...if you are gaining fast and know you are horking out, it might be a clue to dial back. Eating healthy, baby is growing, care provider isn't concerned, and you gain more than you expect a few weeks? I wouldn't stress as much.

I am not a large person and gained exactly 38 lbs with each pregnancy, even with eating healthy. It was like a predetermined set point for me! The weight always came off by a yr or so post partum.

mommylamb
04-12-2013, 02:03 PM
I had always read that a healthy pregnancy for someone who wasn't overweight to start out with would be 25-35 lbs by the end. But, I really think that everyone is different and some people just gain a lot, and then are able to lose it afterward without a problem. I am an average size person, though I'd like to lose some weight (wouldn't we all), and I gained 38 lbs with my first pregnancy and 14 lbs with my second.

TxCat
04-12-2013, 04:55 PM
I think Babycenter has some guidelines, but I'm not sure how accurate they are. I've heard around a pound a week from 20 weeks on, but I agree with PP that everyone is different. Both times so far, I tend to put weight on more quickly during the first trimester - I think because of my significant morning sickness I eat whatever seems palatable, regardless of calories/nutritional composition, etc., and nibbling throughout the day made me feel a little better, especially carbs. As a result, both times I gained 12-14 lbs in the first trimester alone! But, then my gain slowed down the rest of pregnancy - I remember last time I had one visit where I didn't gain anything in 4 weeks (my OB was kind of mad at me). As long as baby is growing, and you're within the recommended weight range, you're probably fine.

specialp
04-12-2013, 05:32 PM
What to expect book has this rough estimate which doesn't equal 35, but helped me keep an eye on it:
1st trimester: 2-4 lbs (I gained 2)
2nd trimester: 12-14 (I gained 18)
3rd trimester: 8-10 (I gained 11 - total of 31 lbs.)

georgiegirl
04-12-2013, 05:34 PM
I've heard 25-35 if your weight was in the normal range pre-pregnancy. I gained 30ish lbs both times, and I'm on the slender side of normal to begin with. I'm 22 weeks and have gained about 11 lbs. so I'm right on track to hit 30. Unfortunately this time around it might be more since I'm so sedentary (so sick in the first trimester, then I've had a wicked sinus infection/cold for the past two weeks and I think I just cracked a rib from coughing so much.).

AnnieW625
04-12-2013, 07:05 PM
With DD1 I was told I could gain 1lb a week. I ended up gaining 35 once I knew I was pregnant. I had gained 5lbs. before I knew I was even pregnant. I don't recall what I was told with baby 2, but with that baby I actually gained the most weight as I only pregnant with 20 weeks and I gained 20+ lbs. . It was weird because Tri 18 babies don't usually grow as fast. I think I gained 30lbs with DD2, but I was also 20lbs heavier once I found out I was pregnant. My OB then was a little concerned.

With each pregnancy I gained 10lbs in the third month I was pregnant, and that was the only time that happened.

jjordan
04-12-2013, 07:51 PM
The guidelines I've heard are 1-2 pounds in the first trimester and 1#/week after that.

ZeeBaby
04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
I gained 50 with DD1 and 40 with DD2, but didn't lose 10 from DD1 so tipping the scale right around 210 with both. I lost all 50 plus 10 more after DD2. I nursed and dieted when I finished nursing. The weight came off pretty easily with some discipline. I didn't starve myself, but did follow a sensible diet. I still have between 7-10 to lose to get to my weight goal, but it is a work in progress. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone, but I just felt like my body had a pre-determined weight it wanted to get to. I also are healthy while pregnant, but I ate whatever I wanted. Food tasted so good. I don't think there is a general amount. I would just encourage disciplined eating afterwards.

zukeypur
04-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I gained 30 with each pregnancy. First trimester I gained nothing. Second trimester I gained a little, with the exception of month 6. During month 6 I EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT and get yelled at by the OB for gaining 7-10lbs in one month. My old OB told me to stop eating ice cream every night. Then I calm down and gain about a lb a week for the remainder.

lchang25000
04-13-2013, 07:32 AM
I gained 45 pounds with each pregnancy and my OB was not concerned about it at all since I have a normal BMI plus no issues during pregnancy (high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, etc). I knw some obs are real sticklers on weight gain. I gained about 10-12 pounds in the first trimester (I know a lot!), around 15 pounds in the second trimester, and the rest in the 3rd trimester.

bostonsmama
04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
I really tried to pace myself. I gained 1.5 solid pounds in the first trimester, then 13.5 in the second. My total gain was 15 lbs up until 30 weeks, actually, and then in the last 4 weeks I actually gained my total of 27 lbs. Baby really puts on weight at the end! Plus, you'll feel bloated and fluid-y.

sunnyside
04-23-2013, 01:23 AM
I'm 5'4" and went from 120 lbs to 196 lbs. I don't recommend that. I'm 135 now (she's 2.5 haha), but I'm not sure I'll ever be the same. :p

asha07
06-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Gained about 18 lbs total with each kid (lost ~ 5 lbs in the first trimester, then regained that + ~ 18 lbs, so real gain of ~ 23 lbs). With DC1 I saw a dietitian to help with weight gain, but it didn't really help. My sister kept threatening me that the baby would be tiny, but my dr was not concerned (he did order a couple of extra ultrasounds, though). Babies were fine (almost 9 lbs each).

BTW, in general in Europe the recommended weight gain is actually lower than here, around 20 lbs.

Philly Mom
06-05-2013, 07:26 AM
With DD, I lost 10lbs in my trimester and then gained 25lbs. I am neither small nor big. I think I weighed 185 or so at the end of my first pregnancy. With this pregnancy, I have lost approximately 5-7 lbs so far and I am 17 weeks. My doctor says that is fine until 20 weeks. When not pregnant, I have a tendency to eat too much. While pregnant, my appetite and ability to eat and not feel ill goes way down. I essentially start to eat normal women portions.

JBaxter
06-05-2013, 08:01 AM
I gained 30 lbs with each kiddo < X4> Seemed like the 5th month I always gained the most ( like 10lbs!)

pb&j
06-05-2013, 08:41 AM
I gained 23 lb w/DS and 28 w/DD and was normal BMI to start. W/DS I lost 5 lb in the 1st tri, so I actually also gained 28 lb with him. For both kids, I gained ALL my weight in the second trimester, and most of it in the last eight weeks of that. So, there were a couple of monthly visits to the OB where I had really huge weight gain. But obviously, my overall weight gain was fine. My OB is an experienced MFM, and nobody in his office ever said boo about my weight checks.

AnnieW625
06-06-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm 5'4" and went from 120 lbs to 196 lbs. I don't recommend that. I'm 135 now (she's 2.5 haha), but I'm not sure I'll ever be the same. :p

Kind of envious there that you were able to lose all 61lbs. I am 5'6" and 196 (thankfully my weight is pretty concealable so I am not too obese looking) and I would love to weigh 135 like I did in college, but it hasn't been in the cards for me since I was 22 and took some awful birth control that made me gain 20lbs in 3 months and I haven't weighed less than 150 since. My DD2 is 3 so losing all of the weight by the time your DD is 2/1/2 is a great accomplishment. Thankfully I did lose all but the last 5lbs with DD1, I gained 25 with baby 2 (plus I think I gained another 10 or so when we were TTC baby 2, which took 6 mos.), and only lost 10 of that before getting pregnant with DD2 and then thankfully lost everything I gained with DD2, but now I still have a long way to go to get back to that PP weight I was when I had DD1.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-06-2013, 12:46 PM
i gained 30 lbs with my first pregnancy..nothing in first 18 weeks due to morning sickness. 2nd trimester i finally started gaining. i could not eat much in 3rd trimester bc of the heartburn.

with my 2nd pregnancy, i only gained 20 lbs...after ds was born i never lost the 20 lbs pregnancy weight (my ds was 6 mos old when i got pregnant again!) so i started off at a higher weight. also DD was born at 34/35 weeks. She was 6 lbs though!

despite not gaining much and EBFing both times, i had a HARD time losing the pregnancy weight. my DD was 2yo before i lost it all. nothing more maddening than seeing those pregnant mamas happily stuffing their faces full, gaining 60,70 lbs and then, 3mos after thier baby is born they're all wearing their pre-preg jeans. So not fair. So personally i would not be concerned about pregnancy weight gain that much..

I suppose the upshot for not gaining much weight in pregnancy (again, not done on purpose - lots of puking + wicked heartburn will do that to you) is that i did not get any stretch marks, and now my stomach looks about the same as it did before i had kids.