PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually teach kids to be less sloppy eaters or do they eventually learn?

JustMe
04-12-2013, 01:57 PM
So, I am trying not to stereotype but this involves ds. He is 7, and still eats where we end up with lots of food on his face, shirt, the floor, the table, etc. Can't remember when this lessened with dd, but it was way younger than this.

I don't know if I should just assume he just needs some more time/won't do this when he goes to college of if I just have to teach him to work harder at being less messy/getting the food in his mouth?

vonfirmath
04-12-2013, 02:16 PM
I hope they eventually learn!

I don't remember my DS being NEAR as messy a eater when he was almost 2 as my DD is now!

123LuckyMom
04-12-2013, 02:16 PM
I would teach him. Make sure he has a napkin at every meal, and praise him every time he uses it. We're working lots on table manners with 4.5 year old DS who is fine at a restaurant or someone else's home, but is not great at ours. We're working on using utensils, using napkins, not leaving your seat, and keeping dinner table conversation interesting and not overly silly. We play the manners game. Every time DS uses his napkin, we have to notice and clap. This is really fun, because DD (one year old) joins in. DS gets two pop-ups, we call them, which is getting up from the table. He needs to ask, "May I use a pop-up now?" If he forgets to ask or is particularly wild, we say, "Extra-curricular pop-up" and start counting. If he gets back in his seat before we get to three, we say, "Good recovery!" It's actually fun for all of us, and DS is doing great!!! I don't know if this kind of thing would work for a 7 year old, but DS loves it!

egoldber
04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
You can try, but some kids are just more aware of this and a lot less messy. My younger DD, practically from the moment she started feeding herself 100% at 15-18 months, has been a MUCH less messy eater than her older sister!

ETA: We have clothe napkins at every meal and she gets reminders at EVERY meal. She really just doesn't notice/feel the difference.

gatorsmom
04-12-2013, 02:29 PM
My kids became a little less sloppy when we started using placemats on the table. And I ask everyone of them to wipe their hands and face before getting up from the table. But even my oldest needs to be told to go check his reflection. Nine times out of ten he has food all over his face after a meal. :shake:

niccig
04-12-2013, 02:38 PM
I've taught DS how to use his knife and fork, use a napkin etc. I've found that he tries to put too much food into his mouth at a time. So I have to remind him to cut it into smaller pieces, put less on his fork/spoon etc. I also had to teach him how to hold his fork and knife. He will stab something then instead of putting he fork tines down into his mouth, he'll flip the fork over so the tines are up. Well, half the time, the food would fall off the fork. I also use my knife the Continental way, so I teach him how to use the knife to help push the food onto the fork.

He's 8yrs and still not there yet, but better than he was a couple years ago.

sarahsthreads
04-12-2013, 02:55 PM
You can try, but some kids are just more aware of this and a lot less messy. My younger DD, practically from the moment she started feeding herself 100% at 15-18 months, has been a MUCH less messy eater than her older sister!

ETA: We have clothe napkins at every meal and she gets reminders at EVERY meal. She really just doesn't notice/feel the difference.

This is us. I am constantly reminding DD1 not to use her clothes as a napkin. She comes home from school with the remains of lunch all over her face. She's always picking apart finger foods (like sandwiches) into tiny pieces and getting crumbs *everywhere*.

DD2 at least uses silverware pretty consistently (although she must have a different fork or spoon for each kind of food, which is frustrating) and when she thinks to wipe her face uses a napkin.

Sarah :)

bisous
04-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Oh man, DS1 (who is NINE!) is such a sloppy eater. Some of it is fine motor skills. Some is serious distraction issues at meals. Some of this is my lack of concentrating on good manners and sloppy eating--DS1 has had diabetes since age 2 and I'm always more interested in WHAT he is eating and HOW MUCH he is eating that HOW is eating if that makes sense! But this is a good reminder that I really need to hit manners and cleanliness hard.

DS2 could use a spoon to feed himself (no lie) at seven months old. So I definitely think some kids are better at these things than others. I'm enjoying reading your tips and appreciate the question.

LizLemon
04-13-2013, 12:58 AM
I had this same question about my 18 month old who seems to be a messy eater (relative to my husband and I, at least!) but hates having her face and hands cleaned. So I guess now is too soon! :ROTFLMAO:

vludmilla
04-13-2013, 08:12 AM
I was just thinking about posting something about this. DD is 6 and is getting better but we are working on keeping your mouth closed when you chew. She forgets and keeps her mouth open, a LOT. I don't know how to change this without nagging constantly, which I definitely don't want to do.

elephantmeg
04-13-2013, 08:18 AM
DD was evidently born knowing how or has absorbed all the discussions we've had with DS. DS (7) still struggles. It is a constant reminder-pull your plate closer, use your napkin, chew with your mouth closed...it drives DH nuts and so it is almost a constant commentary from him which was ruining dinner time. So I moved DS away from DH so DS just gets occasional reminders..