PDA

View Full Version : If you were bright in school, were you bored?

bisous
04-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious.

I think I would have been considered bright growing up. I was absolutely not a genius and never did anything super early. But I was often considered the top of the class. I did qualify as a semi-finalist for the National Merit program etc. But I promise I was never bored in school. I just felt like even if I knew a lot of the material there were plenty of other interesting things going on in class that I just couldn't be bored.

Is this because even though I was at the top of the class I was still within the general parameters? My kids are not bored at school and they are at the top of the class but again, they are not prodigies of any type.

Anyone have a similar experience?

TIA

egoldber
04-12-2013, 03:36 PM
In elementary school I was horribly bored. I can remember zoning out and writing stories and reading books at my desk for large parts of many years of school. I was also given lots of special jobs. I used to help the school librarian do inventory for days at a time, that type of thing.

High school was somewhat better. I had a couple of really good teachers, but again a lot of the material was very repetitive. But the worst part is it felt like we moved at the pace of molasses. I didn't need a lot of review or practice to get a concept, so spending days on a topic that I got the first time felt pretty excruciating. I did a lot of free reading.

niccig
04-12-2013, 03:36 PM
School was pretty easy for me. I didn't have to put much effort into it. I dont' think I was prodigy or anything like that, but it wasn't a challenge. DH was the same. We don't want DS to coast like we did, we would like him to be challenged. Not sure yet how to do that w/o tonnes of pressure, as don't want that either.

crl
04-12-2013, 03:38 PM
I was no genius. Definitely not truly gifted. But reasonably bright and school was geared to the way I learn so it was easy for me. I zoned out a lot. A lot. But I was not bored. I have always been really good at entertaining myself. Very quietly so no one ever noticed I was off in my own world. It was totally and completely fine for me.

Catherine

niccig
But the worst part is it felt like we moved at the pace of molasses. I didn't need a lot of review or practice to get a concept, so spending days on a topic that I got the first time felt pretty excruciating. I did a lot of free reading.

I had a biology teacher take me aside and tell me when I got the concept, I would ask a question that then jumped 2-3 steps ahead. He said he couldn't follow, as was still explaining the concept to the class, and he told me I could read ahead in the textbook once I understood something.

AngelaS
Yes! And I was always in trouble for talking or reading an outside book in class or whatnot. I spent a lot of time in detention. :P I pretty much had straight As and spent about one or two afternoons every week in detention.

bisous
04-12-2013, 03:41 PM
School was pretty easy for me. I didn't have to put much effort into it. I dont' think I was prodigy or anything like that, but it wasn't a challenge. DH was the same. We don't want DS to coast like we did, we would like him to be challenged. Not sure yet how to do that w/o tonnes of pressure, as don't want that either.

Oh, I coasted. I've always coasted though. Maybe I was just lazy and that is the secret? I actually like the fact that high school wasn't stressful though.

Undergrad studies weren't really even that challenging though. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy studying, it just wasn't difficult to get the best grade in the class. Grad school was a little more challenging but that was more a function of the fact that I did it without any babysitting help (DS1 was 2 and 3 years old and I only had childcare for when I was actually IN class) so I REALLY had to cram my study time in. I was constantly seeking more TIME but the material wasn't overly difficult to master otherwise!

rin
04-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Yes! And I was always in trouble for talking or reading an outside book in class or whatnot. I spent a lot of time in detention. :P I pretty much had straight As and spent about one or two afternoons every week in detention.

:yeahthat:

Although I would occasionally get a D or a C in a class when I would just stop doing the work because I found it pointless. I was technically in the GATE program, but it was a joke in our school district, so I spent the vast majority of my time in regular ed classes. Or in detention.

anonomom
04-12-2013, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't say I was bored, but I certainly wasn't engaged. I procrastinated on my homework and barely put more than minimal effort into anything. My standardized test scores were excellent but I never averaged above a B+. I was constantly lectured about "living up to my potential" and it drove me nuts. DH had a very similar experience in school.

DD1 is in first grade and we can see that she's very much like me and DH. She grasps stuff very quickly but regularly fails to finish her work because she just doesn't care that much. It's weird to be in this position where I understand what she's like but I want her to do better than I did. I don't know how to help her, though.

KpbS
04-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Also no genius but G+T type. Yes, in elementary some but I didn't know any different. I did get in trouble for reading and learned I couldn't do that. But high school was very engaging--we had extra classes in our magnet school (longer school day) and good AP classes to take with great teachers. It was a great experience.

bisous
04-12-2013, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't say I was bored, but I certainly wasn't engaged. I procrastinated on my homework and barely put more than minimal effort into anything. My standardized test scores were excellent but I never averaged above a B+. I was constantly lectured about "living up to my potential" and it drove me nuts. DH had a very similar experience in school.

DD1 is in first grade and we can see that she's very much like me and DH. She grasps stuff very quickly but regularly fails to finish her work because she just doesn't care that much. It's weird to be in this position where I understand what she's like but I want her to do better than I did. I don't know how to help her, though.

This is exactly how I was in school. DS1 is proving to be similar to me. He tests well, is a top reader but ZIPS through his homework assignments. He is most likely to be the first one finished with an assignment than to be the highest score, if that makes sense. DS2 is naturally different and wants to do things perfectly--a trait that will probably take him far. I understand that pride in one's work is a good trait as is hard work. But I'm wondering (honestly!) if being able to excel with ease is really such a bad way to go through childhood?

I can see that boredom is bad but if school is easy but you are otherwise intellectually engaged (through extensive reading for example which was my outlet) AND you're getting a decent foundational educational base, is it so bad to NOT strive to be the very best?

lyt202
04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Not that I can recall. I was in a G&T program that was pull-out in elementary and then we had our own classes in junior high and high school. The teachers taught at a different level than the regular classes so that is probably what kept us from being bored. I remember feeling the difference between my G&T classes and the AP classes at the school I moved to in the middle of high school. The AP classes were less challenging than what I had been used to.

lovin2shop
04-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Yes, and no. I was definitely a coaster, and did the very least work possible to pull off an A. However, I actually had a several high school classes that were more difficult than most or even all of my college classes. If I enjoyed the subject, I worked at it. If I didn't, then I dropped it for an easier class, and was bored, but preferred it that way at the time. In elementary and middle, most subjects were covered by independent modules and you could work ahead as far as you wanted. I did enjoy this, however I don't think learning by reading and completing workbooks is a good way to get an education overall.

egoldber
04-12-2013, 04:08 PM
But I'm wondering (honestly!) if being able to excel with ease is really such a bad way to go through childhood?

Well there are a couple issues. One is that if you never have to work or study at an early age, you don't have those skills when you do finally need to put effort into school. Or at work. For some that happens in college. For me, it didn't happen until grad school. I had a really rough first year while I finally figured out how to study. I knew people in a similar position who flunked out or left the program because they didn't figure it out in time.

The other main issue is that some time people who don't have to work come to equate being "smart" with not having to work hard. There can also be a fear of trying something you're not naturally good at because you're afraid of failing.

brittone2
04-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Bored, yes. I was in a G&T pull out in elementary school. One of my friends from the program is still a close friend.

I lived in a state with gIEPs, and by middle school having something added to the gIEP was the only "gifted program" (other than just taking the most challenging courses). I had a microbiology project written into mine, but the mentoring teacher seemed burdened by it, flopped 10 books down on my desk and told me to pick a project and write down what I needed. I was in sixth grade and my time with him was during a study hall he had with eighth graders. It was intimidating and I also was mostly embarrassed and terminated the project. In high school I worked with the in school physical therapist a bit and had that written into my IEP mostly as a means to escape study hall and find something constructive to do. Other than that, the so-called gifted program in middle and high school consisted of extra field trips with a frequently drunk teacher who also taught...in-school suspension. And of course, AP and honors courses that were available to anyone otherwise qualified.

I remember getting in trouble for reading. I also remember having a crotchety old woman math teacher in 6th grade. I would play headgames with her out of boredom. I'd do math in my book mentally and work ahead several problems at the same time. THen I'd stare out the window. She would call on me because I looked like I was daydreaming, and I'd smile sweetly and give her the answer. Not very nice, but it was how I basically fought back against her being miserable because I would <gasp> look outside after completing my problems mentally. She stopped after a while.

I enjoyed school, but did have plenty of boredom or lack of challenge. I had very poor study skills. I have a good memory and could skate by with high grades mostly by half listening. I learned to study a bit by my senior year but didn't really learn how to buckle down until college. I learned to hide my brain in certain settings. I enjoyed my friends, played sports, was in leadership roles in lots of clubs. I remember wishing at times I could just sit and read rather than deal with awful textbooks or poor instruction. I did have some amazing and inspiring teachers, but also had too many mediocre to awful ones. There are 2-3 teachers I think really were instrumental in shaping my education.

brittone2
04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Well there are a couple issues. One is that if you never have to work or study at an early age, you don't have those skills when you do finally need to put effort into school. Or at work. For some that happens in college. For me, it didn't happen until grad school. I had a really rough first year while I finally figured out how to study. I knew people in a similar position who flunked out or left the program because they didn't figure it out in time.

The other main issue is that some time people who don't have to work come to equate being "smart" with not having to work hard. There can also be a fear of trying something you're not naturally good at because you're afraid of failing.
Yes to this. Exactly.

marymoo86
04-12-2013, 04:13 PM
I was beyond bored. I put minimal effort and achieved A+ grades and this was before 4.0+ grading scales. Ours stopped at 100.

I was not "genius" level IQ but in the next top band. I didn't in trouble often and usually just from talking.

No real G&T program in HS aside from taking AP Level classes which was History and English and advanced level science/math. I would have very much loved to be more challenged.

I would definitely agree that the downside is I am hesitant to take on challenges that I have no immediate experience b/c of an unknown outcome. However, I do love researching answers.

bisous
04-12-2013, 04:14 PM

Huh. I guess I could see this. This has not been consistent with my experience, however. Whenever I did have a challenging class, study skills were not that hard to acquire. Its not like I didn't know HOW to study, I just chose not to, KWIM?

And lots of other things were hard for me so I wasn't afraid to try. But this could be the reason why I still say that working my way through college was the most valuable part of the whole experience. I had to work HARD. I was the dishroom supervisor at a cafeteria! I feel like I succeeded in business later because of my occupational rather than educational experience.

AnnieW625
04-12-2013, 04:16 PM
I was no genius. Definitely not truly gifted. But reasonably bright and school was geared to the way I learn so it was easy for me. I zoned out a lot. A lot. But I was not bored. I have always been really good at entertaining myself. Very quietly so no one ever noticed I was off in my own world. It was totally and completely fine for me.

Catherine

This was pretty much me as well. I didn't have good test scores though and I ended up having a hard time with math and some sciences in high school though so I did not apply to the top tier colleges that would have been the best for my interests. I ended up at a top 10 state university though and while college was challenging in certain aspects I found I was still bright enough to handle it, and there were very few times I ever thought I was bored.

:yeahthat:

Although I would occasionally get a D or a C in a class when I would just stop doing the work because I found it pointless. I was technically in the GATE program, but it was a joke in our school district, so I spent the vast majority of my time in regular ed classes. Or in detention.

This is my sister. She could have been a better student had she gone to a more challenging Catholic high school in the big city or the high school in the next bigger city over from us. She didn't like the kids in the honors classes at her school either so she took regular classes and easily lost interest.

brittone2
04-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Huh. I guess I could see this. This has not been consistent with my experience, however. Whenever I did have a challenging class, study skills were not that hard to acquire. Its not like I didn't know HOW to study, I just chose not to, KWIM?

And lots of other things were hard for me so I wasn't afraid to try. But this could be the reason why I still say that working my way through college was the most valuable part of the whole experience. I had to work HARD. I was the dishroom supervisor at a cafeteria! I feel like I succeeded in business later because of my occupational rather than educational experience.
I thought I knew how to study, but I really didn't, kwim? Not in the way I needed to learn before college. Thankfully I did just fine in college despite very stringent minimum grades in my major (we had our own grading system unique to our program, and it was much harder than the standard university grading system. Had to maintain a high GPA, etc. to continue in the program, etc.)
I do think I was sometimes afraid to work hard mentally in school. Like, it "should come easily to me" vs. understanding how to really stretch myself as far as I could go. And that can be dangerous academically, IMO. It worked out fine for me and I figured it out, fortunately. But some kids really do learn to shy away from challenges, or self-label as intelligent and then out of perfectionism avoid taking risks, perhaps avoid the things that would stretch them the most mentally.

rin
04-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Some people are definitely more practiced at buckling down and studying. I don't mean to sound flippant, but I don't remember encountering a single class in all my public schooling that required me to actually study beyond just reading through the assignment. For many kids, being in classes that require absolutely no effort to master the subject material teaches them a very powerful lesson that's repeated over and over and over, namely that "learning means already understanding something once the teacher's said it once". It's hard to teach kids how to put effort towards academics when they're never, ever given that opportunity.

pastrygirl
04-12-2013, 04:27 PM
I wasn't bored, but it was very easy for me and required little to no effort in all subjects. I liked it that way! Until I got to college, that is -- I had to learn how to study and was shocked that my usual level of effort was nowhere near good enough.

Eta: I was no genius, I just got everything right away. I wasn't the type who could trip people up with vast knowledge. I could just easily regurgitate what had been taught, no more than that.

anonomom
04-12-2013, 04:48 PM
But I'm wondering (honestly!) if being able to excel with ease is really such a bad way to go through childhood?

I can see that boredom is bad but if school is easy but you are otherwise intellectually engaged (through extensive reading for example which was my outlet) AND you're getting a decent foundational educational base, is it so bad to NOT strive to be the very best?

That's a really interesting point that I hadn't really considered before. I think it's probably ok not to strive to be the best, but I do think there is benefit in striving to be one's best. I know that my failings in school didn't harm me overmuch (I'm fairly happy with who I am and what I've accomplished in life), but still I sometimes wonder what I could have done if I'd just tried a little (ok, a lot) harder.

Plus, there are skills I wish I had developed as a child, rather than struggling with them as an adult. I'm still a terrible procrastinator and am awful at remaining organized. I wish I'd spent more time as a kid developing my "buckle-down" muscles. So I'm trying to help DD develop hers. But I'm also working really hard to accept that she has some faults that are part of who she is and that that's ok.

Indianamom2
04-12-2013, 04:53 PM
I was very bright, though not gifted. I was always at the top of the class and even college, with the exception of a couple of upper-level music classes, was easy for me. I could get the A's without any studying (or very little).

I wasn't bored in high school (a bit in elementary) but like others, I would just read or entertain myself some other non-disruptive way. I also helped the teachers a lot of did other things around the classroom.

SnuggleBuggles
04-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Not so much bored as I never had to work. I didn''t have to study or put much time in on things. College was a huge learning curve, as a result, as I had to learn how to study.

Kindra178
04-12-2013, 05:06 PM
I do think I was sometimes afraid to work hard mentally in school. Like, it "should come easily to me" vs. understanding how to really stretch myself as far as I could go. And that can be dangerous academically, IMO. It worked out fine for me and I figured it out, fortunately. But some kids really do learn to shy away from challenges, or self-label as intelligent and then out of perfectionism avoid taking risks, perhaps avoid the things that would stretch them the most mentally.

Well said. Your experience (and mine) tracks with the young for the grade/anti-redshirting research that I follow so closely. Nurtureshock also confirms this line of thinking (don't tell a kid they are smart, because if they don't get something right away, they get frustrated, thinking "Why can't I get this?").

I was always multiple grade levels ahead in the reading subjects but tracked closer to grade level in the math subjects. I do think part of the reason is that math didn't come easy to me and I probably didn't spend enough time on it (I would be reading my siblings' college history textbooks instead).

TxCat
04-12-2013, 05:11 PM
I wasn't bored, but it was very easy for me and required little to no effort in all subjects. I liked it that way! Until I got to college, that is -- I had to learn how to study and was shocked that my usual level of effort was nowhere near good enough.

This was my experience as well. I was bright, but not a prodigy, and was able to graduate at the top of my high school class with minimal effort. I often procrastinated on assignments, did things at the last minute, and didn't have to put any extra effort into my schoolwork. I had no real discipline when it came to studying. This became a problem in college, when I was surrounded by a lot of other really bright students - simply being "bright" no longer cut it, and I had to learn how to study, how to manage my time, how to motivate myself. In comparison, friends that had to study more in high school were more successful in college early on because they came with a set of study skills and discipline already in place.

edurnemk
04-12-2013, 05:16 PM
I was in Elementary, especially in Math, BUT that was also due to the fact that we were expats and I was coming from a school with a much higher level of math. I did a placement test when enrolling in the American school and they told my mom they would have me skip a grade because I'd be bored otherwise. So I skipped 4th but was still bored crazy in 5th and 6th grade math.

Then again in college, I was pretty bored in some classes the fist year, so I even switched majors to a "tougher" one, and then I was sooo happy because I really liked to be challenged, and a lot of the time I didn't have to make a big effort to get A's before.

Katigre
04-12-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious.

I think I would have been considered bright growing up. I was absolutely not a genius and never did anything super early. But I was often considered the top of the class. I did qualify as a semi-finalist for the National Merit program etc. But I promise I was never bored in school. I just felt like even if I knew a lot of the material there were plenty of other interesting things going on in class that I just couldn't be bored.

Is this because even though I was at the top of the class I was still within the general parameters? My kids are not bored at school and they are at the top of the class but again, they are not prodigies of any type.

Anyone have a similar experience?

TIA

Yes I was. Not only was I bright, I was also a quick worker so I had a LOT of lag time between activities waiting for the rest of the class to catch up. A test would take me 5-10 minutes that took others 30.

I only found peers intellectually in high school. A lot of times the teachers would let me do independent study of subjects like math.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

AnnieW625
04-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Some people are definitely more practiced at buckling down and studying. I don't mean to sound flippant, but I don't remember encountering a single class in all my public schooling that required me to actually study beyond just reading through the assignment. For many kids, being in classes that require absolutely no effort to master the subject material teaches them a very powerful lesson that's repeated over and over and over, namely that "learning means already understanding something once the teacher's said it once". It's hard to teach kids how to put effort towards academics when they're never, ever given that opportunity.

This was my sister as well to the T. She was an English major with an emphasis in creative writing, and I think she told me that she read 2 assigned books the entire time she was in college. She is a master BS'er and listens quite well. I am the complete opposite I always needed to study and while I can BS quite well (;)) studying had to be second nature to me. I didn't major in English because I knew it would be too much work and way too much reading (and I like to read, just not English lit or almost anything that was written pre 1900). It wasn't until she applied to get an MFA the year after she graduated that she felt just applying was a lot of work and the hardest work she had to do. Sadly she didn't get into any of the MFA programs because she didn't have enough work experience in the field. She is now a teacher and I will say she did work a little bit harder and applied herself quite well in credential classes compared to what she said about some of her classmates who barely applied themselves at all and still passed.

lhafer
04-12-2013, 05:49 PM
I didn't read the other responses, and this isn't about me, but rather my DH. He graduated in the top 10 in his class. He was bored all throughout school. Had AP classes, did URL math meets, etc. He got straight A's without even trying. He skipped school a LOT, especially his senior year (we were together then). He got called into the principal's office about it. She said, you are missing too much school, and it will hinder your grades. He said, I'm getting straight A's and I take all my tests. She didn't have a point to argue.

He missed having a perfect score on his SATs by a few points probably because the night before, a bunch of us all went out partying, and we all stayed up way too late!

♥ms.pacman♥
04-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes, to a certain extent. I already had long learned how to read before K, yet i was always placed in the "regular" (not advanced) reading group...along with the only other 2 minority kids in the class. i remember my Dad (an engineer) making me division flash cards in first grade and i was so excited to take them to school and show the teacher..but then she told me to put them away, that they were too hard for me. i always got perfect grades in spelling/English but often got comments from teachers about "we won't put her in the advanced class bc her English score on some standardized test is only 90%, so she might not understand the textbook." And so forth. this pretty much went on for most of my schooling, and it was stupid bc my parents shelled out $$$ for private school. i grew up in the midwest but even in the SF bay area, i had issues.

it's funny...unlike basically everyone i know (at least in my field), i did really well in college, especially in my first year. and i went in to college having zero AP credits which is unheard of in my field. it just seemed so much better as there was nobody telling me what i couldnt do and i just wanted to show everyone that i could do it. in this sense, i can totally see how many students can be great students and learn a ton, just not thru the "traditional" educational system.

it is so funny when i talk to DH about this bc despite being the same age and in the same field (elec engineering) he had a complete opposite experience..grew up in a rather poor, hispanic area, went to a very crappy public elementary school, crappy high school (for the first two years), yet he was always placed in the gifted programs and teachers were always telling him how smart he was. he took the SATs in 7th grade. he went to a boarding magnet school, then went off to MIT and graduated pretty quickly, though his grades weren't that great. i often wonder which of us got the shorter end of the stick...me going to supposedly good schools but never being allowed to get ahead, or DH going to crappy schools and excelling there but then struggling when he got to college bc he had compete with all the other students who were at the top of their class.

I don't know. All i hope for is that our DC will be allowed to have the educational opportunities that we were not. DH often comments that he fears that in our area teachers will be prejudiced and not want DCs to get ahead. I don't know..I'm just hoping that in 30 years a lot will have changed.

Gena
04-12-2013, 06:25 PM
I was bright, but not gifted. I went to small Catholic schools that were academically rigorous.

Honestly, I don't remember much of the academics from early elementary school. My memories from that age are more about the other kids and social stuff. In the upper elementary grades (which would be equivalent to middle school in the public school system), I was bored in some classes. We had some pull outs for accelerated classes and that helped.

In high school I was part of a group of kids who were honors and AP tracked and we were a very academically competitive group. In some classes we tended to go above and beyond the requirements and set challenges for each other. In other classes, we were all bored silly, which led to some bad behavior as a group. Looking back, I'm sorry to admit that we were really terrible to a couple teachers who were unable to keep us sufficiently challenged. We caused at least one young teacher to give up the profession.

My junior year of high school I suffered through a long period of recurrent illness, stress, and listlessness. I was initially diagnosed with depression and anxiety, but was later found to have a 6 month long bout of mono. Recovery was slow and I ended up dropping one of my honors electives. So that year was challenging, but not in a good way. I fully recovered over the summer and had a full honors/AP class load my senior year.

My brother, who is gifted, was bored all through school until college.

ETA: I found certain branches of math to be challenging, particularly trig and calculus. I was very good with algebra, geometry, and logic.

georgiegirl
04-12-2013, 06:37 PM
At certain points. I think I remember it more in high school than in elementary school. My parents say I was bored in elementary school, but I don't think it bothered me. In high school I remember wishing I could do more challenging work and go to boarding school....but I'm sure much of my dissatisfaction was social.

Nooknookmom
04-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Yes, it was awful! Since we moved and they didn't up me a grade...I was so bored. I hardly knew what was going on bc I'd finish my work and be staring out the window.

I was labeled a "daydreamer".

BORED kids are not a good thing.

lizzywednesday
04-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Yes, I spent most of grammar school bored out of my skull. I coasted and still got A's and B's with little-to-no effort, even with missed assignments and a lack of attention to detail.

By the time I hit high school, and had challenging course options, I hadn't developed any work/study habits, so I ended my Freshman year with a fairly low GPA and the harsh reality that I would have to actually earn my grades.

Looking back, I feel that my parents meant well by choosing the parochial school over the public school, and I do not begrudge their reinforcement of grammar & spelling skills over my friends' experiences in public school, but I truly believe that a bright kid needs to be challenged so they understand that academic success is earned.

bisous
04-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Interesting! Honest question, what if you never hit a point where you struggle? In my case, it very well could be because I was never in challenging programs. I'll be open, I attended Brigham Young University. Which was a fine school and I had a great time. But it is known for its grade inflation. The history program was not very rigorous. I aced the "tough teachers". My sister's comparative literature program at the same school was more difficult (we've observed). The French department (my minor) was easier than high school. I wonder if I had attended MIT (as some of our prestigious posters had!) or its "history" equivalent if I would have hit the "oh crap I wish I knew how to study" moment?

FWIW, my graduate school (CSUN here--attended the night program) was more difficult program but the study skills weren't difficult to acquire. I could write well and fast and retain information. The theoretical ideas introduced through the literature and the teachers weren't all that challenging. It was thoroughly interesting and not boring at all. But not overwhelming and I didn't feel at a disadvantage for having an easy high school and college experience.

Like I said, I REALLY struggled trying to balance my work obligations and have enough money to attend school. And then as a grad student keeping up with a little one who was diagnosed with a chronic illness in the middle of coursework was a dire struggle. So it isn't like I haven't known struggle--just not academically!

And I was never bored.

lizzywednesday
04-12-2013, 07:38 PM

ETA: I found certain branches of math to be challenging, particularly trig and calculus. I was very good with algebra, geometry, and logic.

You know, it's funny that you mention trig & calc - Trig was the first math I really found to be "fun" and I adored Calc.

It was the algebra that I didn't pay attention to, so it took me two years to learn my Algebra I principles.

As for logic, I have enough of the structured reasoning to have helped me as a Perl scripture, modest-to-pathetic as my efforts may be from lack of use.

JustMe
04-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Up until 7th grade I was extremely bored. I actually remembered wondering why they had to repeat things over and over again when I was in elementary school. I pretended to be sick and missed a lot of school. This actually helped with the boredom somewhat, and I was still ahead. By 7th grade, I either found the work more challenging (math) or interesting (social studies, etc).

anonomom
04-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Yes, to a certain extent. I already had long learned how to read before K, yet i was always placed in the "regular" (not advanced) reading group...along with the only other 2 minority kids in the class. i remember my Dad (an engineer) making me division flash cards in first grade and i was so excited to take them to school and show the teacher..but then she told me to put them away, that they were too hard for me. i always got perfect grades in spelling/English but often got comments from teachers about "we won't put her in the advanced class bc her English score on some standardized test is only 90%, so she might not understand the textbook." And so forth. this pretty much went on for most of my schooling, and it was stupid bc my parents shelled out $$$ for private school. i grew up in the midwest but even in the SF bay area, i had issues.

it's funny...unlike basically everyone i know (at least in my field), i did really well in college, especially in my first year. and i went in to college having zero AP credits which is unheard of in my field. it just seemed so much better as there was nobody telling me what i couldnt do and i just wanted to show everyone that i could do it. in this sense, i can totally see how many students can be great students and learn a ton, just not thru the "traditional" educational system.

it is so funny when i talk to DH about this bc despite being the same age and in the same field (elec engineering) he had a complete opposite experience..grew up in a rather poor, hispanic area, went to a very crappy public elementary school, crappy high school (for the first two years), yet he was always placed in the gifted programs and teachers were always telling him how smart he was. he took the SATs in 7th grade. he went to a boarding magnet school, then went off to MIT and graduated pretty quickly, though his grades weren't that great. i often wonder which of us got the shorter end of the stick...me going to supposedly good schools but never being allowed to get ahead, or DH going to crappy schools and excelling there but then struggling when he got to college bc he had compete with all the other students who were at the top of their class.

I don't know. All i hope for is that our DC will be allowed to have the educational opportunities that we were not. DH often comments that he fears that in our area teachers will be prejudiced and not want DCs to get ahead. I don't know..I'm just hoping that in 30 years a lot will have changed.

Yeeks. How awful! I'm so angry on behalf of 6yo you. I hope fervently that your own kids NEVER experience what you went through!

niccig
04-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Interesting! Honest question, what if you never hit a point where you struggle?

Well, I think you never know what you could achieve then. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. Not everyone has to be or wants to be challenged. It just depends on your personality.

Me, I coasted through school, then hit first year college which was law school (Law is undergrad in Australia). I couldn't' coast, I hated it, and I didn't do well, so I quit. Coasted in Masters of Library Science. Coasted as a librarian..see the pattern. I had a good job as a librarian, but I always wondered what if. What if I had applied myself, what could I really achieve?

I'm now back in grad school doing MS in Communication Disorders at CSUN. My program is considered rigorous, but it's the volume not the content of the work that's my problem as have to juggle it with DS. Actually, CSUN isn't the most academic of schools, there are other schools that are more rigorous. I have a friend that got into the 2nd top school for being a SLP and I'm kinda jealous. I finally found what I want to do, but I can't go for the top program as we can't move. I have similar grades/experience that she has, so I may have gotten in if I had applied. I'm happy with what I'm doing, and I'm doing well, and will come out as a fully qualified SLP, and it will cost less as CSUN's tuition is less. But the what ifs are there. Part of me would like to do research, and you need a PhD for that, and I can't get that here in SoCal. I'll have to find my niche area and keep challenging myself, maybe get involved in clinical research. So for me, not being challenged has been an issue.

smilequeen
04-12-2013, 09:31 PM
I was bored out of my mind until high school.

bisous
04-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Well, I think you never know what you could achieve then. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. Not everyone has to be or wants to be challenged. It just depends on your personality.

Me, I coasted through school, then hit first year college which was law school (Law is undergrad in Australia). I couldn't' coast, I hated it, and I didn't do well, so I quit. Coasted in Masters of Library Science. Coasted as a librarian..see the pattern. I had a good job as a librarian, but I always wondered what if. What if I had applied myself, what could I really achieve?

I'm now back in grad school doing MS in Communication Disorders at CSUN. My program is considered rigorous, but it's the volume not the content of the work that's my problem as have to juggle it with DS. Actually, CSUN isn't the most academic of schools, there are other schools that are more rigorous. I have a friend that got into the 2nd top school for being a SLP and I'm kinda jealous. I finally found what I want to do, but I can't go for the top program as we can't move. I have similar grades/experience that she has, so I may have gotten in if I had applied. I'm happy with what I'm doing, and I'm doing well, and will come out as a fully qualified SLP, and it will cost less as CSUN's tuition is less. But the what ifs are there. Part of me would like to do research, and you need a PhD for that, and I can't get that here in SoCal. I'll have to find my niche area and keep challenging myself, maybe get involved in clinical research. So for me, not being challenged has been an issue.

That makes perfect sense. FWIW, your program sounds challenging to me! Much more challenging than my MA program at the same university. I never thought I went to the most rigorous schools and I'm SURE that's why it hasn't been the same struggle of some of the other posters.

I feel bad saying it, but I don't regret not being challenged. I'm VERY interested in academic topics but I don't mind doing things that are easy and enjoyable. And I don't know what I "could really have achieved" but I'm happy, like what I do, where I live etc. I don't feel a void for lack of having really struggled in school.

And maybe more school is in the works for me. I admire you, Nicciq for finding something that will fulfill you and fill the needs of your family now that your DS is in school full time. I'd like to do something like that in the future (when all my kids are grown) and hope I find something that does similar things for me and my family. You are a good example!

sntm
04-12-2013, 10:16 PM

Yes to all of this. I could still cram and ace tests in college (except p chem - ugh) but med school was a shocker

ZeeBaby
04-12-2013, 10:25 PM
I was completely lazy and bored all the time. I totally coasted through school and even got skipped a grade. Being skipped helped a little but I still talked in class, passed notes and otherwise paid no attention. I never realized it was so bad until I got to law school. I finally had to study, it was a shock. I really don't want this for my DDs. I want them to be challenged and work hard.

crayonblue
04-12-2013, 10:27 PM
I was homeschooled for most of my elementary years so academically-wise I wasn't bored. Now, socially, that is another matter entirely.

In high school, I took the hardest classes I could. Not bored. I did have to take one regular biology class and was bored to tears.

I am not sure I would say I am "bright". I just worked super hard and studied my butt off because I wanted to be in the top 5.

twowhat?
04-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I think I'm fairly bright but definitely not gifted. I grew up in a poor school district and was always at the top of my class. I did have to work somewhat to stay there (it wasn't as if I could just completely goof off) but it was completely manageable and I didn't feel that I struggled, and all my teachers had high hopes for me. So I didn't feel bored...but I did feel sort of always elated at being able to be at the top of my class without struggling. But I never "coasted".

And then I went to a boarding magnet high school, with kids that were TRULY gifted (or if not gifted, then who were REALLY bright). You had to make a minimum SAT score as part of the requirements to get in and I made that minimum score by a HAIR. I had to work my ass off to keep passing grades at the magnet school. I made friends who actually helped TEACH me and saved my ass on more than one occassion to help me understand a critical concept in order to pass a class. It was there that I realized that I'm not that smart after all, but just incredibly lucky:) Ha!

I think my girls are bright but not anywhere within the realm of gifted. If I had to take a guess, they'll be very much like me, and will have to work to keep up grades because we're in a top school district, undoubtedly with lots of other kids who are truly gifted or very bright...like the 2yo boy down the street who is already reading and doing math...

niccig
04-12-2013, 10:47 PM
I feel bad saying it, but I don't regret not being challenged. I'm VERY interested in academic topics but I don't mind doing things that are easy and enjoyable. And I don't know what I "could really have achieved" but I'm happy, like what I do, where I live etc. I don't feel a void for lack of having really struggled in school.

And maybe more school is in the works for me. I admire you, Nicciq for finding something that will fulfill you and fill the needs of your family now that your DS is in school full time. I'd like to do something like that in the future (when all my kids are grown) and hope I find something that does similar things for me and my family. You are a good example!

Don't feel bad about not being challenged. I think I struggle because part of me wants to be challenged and pushed, but there's a part that wants it easy too. So, I'm in conflict with myself.

And as for me being in school, I think I would be managing better if I had better work ethic. I have to put more effort into things, but I still have that tendency to coast and procrastinate. Speech therapy has always been around me, I did it as a kid, best friend from HS is a speech therapist, but I never considered health care thinking I was a humanities person. But I really love the combination of science, human development and linguistics. I had to think outside of the box of what I thought of myself though to come to it. You'll find what you want when the time is right.

StantonHyde
04-12-2013, 10:47 PM
In elementary school I was horribly bored. I can remember zoning out and writing stories and reading books at my desk for large parts of many years of school. I was also given lots of special jobs. I used to help the school librarian do inventory for days at a time, that type of thing.

High school was somewhat better. I had a couple of really good teachers, but again a lot of the material was very repetitive. But the worst part is it felt like we moved at the pace of molasses. I didn't need a lot of review or practice to get a concept, so spending days on a topic that I got the first time felt pretty excruciating. I did a lot of free reading.

This was basically my experience. In elementary, I always had a book under the desk to read in between the teacher explaining math problems. In Jr, High, I just would over achieve--you want one page, I'll write 5 type of thing. In HS, I worked really hard in some classes. The ones that were general requirements--I finished the work for the week in 2 days and then the teachers would let me work on my other stuff that was harder.

tropicalmom
04-13-2013, 03:29 PM
I was bored out of my mind most of school. I was fortunate they instituted the gifted program in our school system when I was in fifth grade so at least I was separated an hour or two during the day. I was able to do some independent investigation classes in high school but was so ready to get out by the end it was difficult. I had been accepted into university when I was a junior and could have skipped my senior year but my father axed that idea since I had already been allowed to start first grade early and would have been 16 in university so looking back not a good idea. I had calculated to the day my senior year how many days I could miss school and still graduate and took most of them. Fortunately my mother is an educator and understood my situation and gave me enough rope to get through that final year. When I was old enough to stay home alone, our deal was that if I made straight As in any six week period I got a pass to miss school on any day of my choosing the following six weeks and she would write a permission slip for me so I distinctly recall days when she came to wake me up and I would say "It's my free day" and I got to stay home :-)