PDA

View Full Version : S/O Rock climbing as a sport

Globetrotter
04-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Has anyone done rock climbing as a weekly class? I'm considering it for a 14 year old who has no interest in other sports but not sure what she would achieve from this.

brittone2
04-12-2013, 04:58 PM
DH and I were big climbers pre-kids. There's a local HS group doing a weekly climbing class, but right now we have a scheduling conflict.

FWIW, I loved climbing, and didn't expect to. DH had climbed a bit off and on for a few years before we started as a couple. We made a lot of friends, eventually took some climbing trips outdoors (The New River Gorge, etc.).

It is truly a full body workout. It is a great confidence booster as well I think, especially for a teen.

queenmama
04-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Yes, we do! Well, not so much me in the last couple of years, but yeah. ;)

I think it'd be great for her. It's more of a personal thing (belaying aside) so she might be more into it than a team sport.

Lara

MelissaTC
04-12-2013, 05:30 PM
It's a fun activity. M used to go to a rock climbing camp every summer. It was a challenge to make it to the top and to follow the different "paths". He loved it and felt a real sense of accomplishment when he won a race or shaved his time down.

georgiegirl
04-12-2013, 05:30 PM
My daughter would love this. The local climbing club starts kids groups at age 8, so we have another year to wait. I think it's a great "sport."

codex57
04-12-2013, 05:59 PM
It's most definitely a sport. My sister does it a lot. By the time I got exposed to it, I stopped having time for it. It's a great total body sport.

wellyes
04-12-2013, 06:16 PM
My 5 year old just started and her first class was (accidentally) with the older kids. The camaraderie in that room was great, and each of the kids was working with an instructor on individual goals. I think it'd be great for a kid not into teams or competitiveness.

hillview
04-12-2013, 06:17 PM
awesome sport. I took it up in Jr/Sr year in college and had a blast

teresah00
04-12-2013, 06:18 PM
I used to climb in high school ad college. I even took a climbing course for credit (under outdoor Rec) in college. Great workout and lots of fun! I prefer outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Globetrotter
04-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks!

I asked her and she said she gets scared in the middle. WHAT? This is the same girl who has no fear when we go hiking and have to scramble over rocks, etc..

Her friend is having a bday party at the rock climbing venue, so that will be a good time to reassess. From what you all say, I think she might like it.

maestramommy
04-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Dh and I were climbers pre-kids. Dh was already a pretty good climber, and got me into it after we met. I didnt' take a class but we went to the rock gym once a week.

I am thinking of getting DD2 into a class when she's older, but right now Dh is just trying to find a time to take her to the gym and try it out!

hellokitty
04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
I've only done it once, but it is definitely fun and a great workout! I'd pursue it more if I had childcare and more free time. I would be totally psyched if any of my kids had an interest in rock climbing.

mom_hanna
04-13-2013, 12:33 AM
dh and I are pretty serious climbers (both sport and trad) and started our kids out young. They were both climbing by age 3, just because they came with us and were dying to try it. I think it's pretty natural for kids to want to climb. It's a great work out, and uses your legs more than you might think! It takes both mental and physical agility, too, which is great. Working out problems and sequences is half the fun! dd has joined a climbing club now that she is 8. ds wants to join when he is old enough, too.

ellies mom
04-13-2013, 12:43 AM
Our girls just started climbing. We started it because DD1 (9) needs the confidence building and she needs to learn just how strong and amazing her body can be. She isn't overly athletic and this is something that she could be good at for herself. She does really well but she gets frustrated when her little sister does better. DD2 (almost 5) is like a little billy goat. She just shoots up the wall. DH and I are going to get belay certified so that they aren't limited to the the auto belay area. I'd like to start climbing too but I don't know if DH will.

rlu
04-13-2013, 02:24 AM
There's a rock wall at our local Scout Reserve - very popular when we're there. They have one at our school's fall festival and it is also very popular. The kids are so excited if they get to the top and the ones that don't get just as much praise and usually come down smiling.

We haven't tried rock climbing outside these rock walls, but I definitely see the attraction. DH has done some "real" rock climbing and he likes to rapel (sp?) down much more than the going up.

eta: there is also a rock wall at our REI.