PDA

View Full Version : I think I cracked a rib from coughing too much

georgiegirl
04-12-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm 22 weeks along with #3, and for the past 10 days I've had a horrible sinus infection, nasal congestion, and cough. I've been on antibiotics for 8 days. I know I'm getting better, but I still have some congestion and several coughing fits a day. (My lungs are clear.). This morning during one of my coughing fits, I noticed that the rib under my left breast started hurting when I coughed. The pain has gotten worse throughout the day. Anytime I take a deep breath, cough, blow my nose, laugh, or move in a certain way, I have a horrible sharp pain in my rib. DH is a physician, and we've concluded that there probably isnt anything that can be done other than taking Tylenol as needed for the pain. DH is freaked out that I'm going to puncture my lung. Fortunately, the painful area is high enough (right under my breast) so the baby won't kick it. I'm so not looking forward to trying to sleep tonight. I feel like throwing myself a pity party.

sarahsthreads
04-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Oh, that sounds really painful. I hope that it's "just" a pulled muscle instead of a cracked rib and that you feel better quickly! :hug:

Sarah

megv
04-12-2013, 09:17 PM
It's more likely that you pulled your intercostal rib muscles. Hurts like heck and not a whole lot you can do Bout it either other than rest, Tylenol, and maybe some heat.

Hope you feel better soon!

georgiegirl
04-12-2013, 09:24 PM
It's more likely that you pulled your intercostal rib muscles. Hurts like heck and not a whole lot you can do Bout it either other than rest, Tylenol, and maybe some heat.

Hope you feel better soon!

How long does that take to get better?

Tondi G
04-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Oh man ... I did that when I was pregnant with DS2. It was AWFUL! I remember being in the car and DH going over a pothole and almost crying cause the pain was so bad! It took a couple of week for the rib pain to subside. Holding the rib when you need to cough, laugh or sneeze is helpful, as is taking some Tylenol. Hope it heals up quickly for you.

lchang25000
04-13-2013, 07:25 AM
OMG, the same thing happened to me back in February! I was sooooo sick with a terrible cough that I pulled an intercostal muscle/sprain (so says my MD hubby). I would have really bad and long coughing fits throughout the day and I would basically have to splint my right rib area everytime I coughed, sneezed, or sat up from a lying position. I took a couple coughing meds and drank a ton of hot water with lemon. To this day, everytime I work out with my trainer and have to lie on my back on a hard/flat surface, I need to stretch out that right rib area since it feels a bit stiff. Yes, nothing can really be done unfortunately besides taking the occasional tylenol. I hope you get some relief soon. With me, it just took time after the coughing finally stopped (about 2-3 weeks), but prob sooner if I hadn't resumed my workouts right after my coughing stopped.