Shin guards...check
Soccer socks... check
Cleats...check
Heavy fleece pullover...check
Team jersey... check
Winter hat...check
Sweatshirt hood pulled up over hat...check
Gloves...check
Confirm on weather channel it is still 35 degrees with a windchill of 25 degrees...check
Tell child that the game won't be cancelled for snow, only if the fields are wet from rain, which won't happen because it's too cold... check
Themos of hot coffee for mom... check
Pull Ugg Jillans from closet where they were optimisitcally placed last weekend when it was 55 degrees... check
Down coat for mom... check
Hat and gloves for mom... check
Laugh as flurries begin the moment we leave the house... check

Ah... midwestern "spring". Love it.

Indianamom2
04-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Don't know where you are exactly, but that sounds like our weather here. I saw snow flurries this morning too. The wind is blowing and it's wet and dismal and depressing. I'm just glad I'm not having to stay out in it! Stay warm...if you can!

hellokitty
04-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Ugh, I feel for you. I'm so glad that DS2's baseball practice got cancelled. We don't have snow, but it is windy, rainy and pretty cold. Our baseball fields are not in good shape due to the excessive rain we got this wk. It's going to stink this fall when I sign DS3 for soccer, I hate soccer weather. It's either too hot or too cold and muddy, there is no such thing as nice soccer weather.

crl
04-13-2013, 12:10 PM
My nephew's baseball team is suppose to have their first game today but they haven't had a single practice because of the weather/field conditions. That should be interesting.

Have fun, stay warm!

Catherine

o_mom
04-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Ugh, I feel for you. I'm so glad that DS2's baseball practice got cancelled. We don't have snow, but it is windy, rainy and pretty cold. Our baseball fields are not in good shape due to the excessive rain we got this wk. It's going to stink this fall when I sign DS3 for soccer, I hate soccer weather. It's either too hot or too cold and muddy, there is no such thing as nice soccer weather.

Two words.... Indoor. Soccer. :rotflmao:

Cam&Clay
04-13-2013, 12:36 PM
I may live in Virginia, but DS1 plays travel soccer year round. As the coach says indoor soccer is for wimps, they play and practice in freezing temps all winter. We've played in the snow, sleet, pouring rain, single digit wind chills, you name it. She will call games/practice off for lightning but only until we cannot see it anymore.

So, I'm with you. DS1 wouldn't wear all that you listed, though, because he wouldn't be able to run and most of all, leap, since he's the keeper.

I am very good at staying in the car but still watching. :wink2:

cono0507
04-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Oh yes spring soccer!
Here in the Rockies that means they play in the snow a few times each season. Last year there were a few games played with a good inch or two if snow on the ground and falling. And those soccer shoes are just a disaster in the snow and have led to frost bite more than once.

alexsmommy
04-13-2013, 01:16 PM
So, I'm with you. DS1 wouldn't wear all that you listed, though, because he wouldn't be able to run and most of all, leap, since he's the keeper.

This was for DS2, so "soccer" is a relative term. We're just one step up from "bunch ball" (let's all bunch around the ball and do nothing!) and all of us parents were all excited that for the most part, they all understood what direction they were going each quarter :rotflmao:.
There is no way DS1 would wear all of that either... DS1 and I would have been battling about if he really needed Under Armour and no other cold weather gear.
DS2 is like me, he freezes, though he said he was ok today with all of the layers.

scrooks
04-13-2013, 01:18 PM
We did the same thing this morning! Horrible!

baymom
04-13-2013, 01:27 PM
I may live in Virginia, but DS1 plays travel soccer year round. As the coach says indoor soccer is for wimps, they play and practice in freezing temps all winter. We've played in the snow, sleet, pouring rain, single digit wind chills, you name it.

Wow!!! My DS just started playing competitive year round soccer this year. We practiced and scrimmaged indoors all winter because it was too cold to play outside. And, we live in the SF Bay Area...no snow, sleet, ect.!! We are definitely a bunch of weather wimps!! :rotflmao:

Kindra178
04-13-2013, 01:31 PM
The hail/snow combination was the best this am. Had the weather on and the meteorologist said, "maybe a couple of flurries" as my grass was covered in tiny ice balls. Tomorrow, it should be 60 for ds' soccer game. Luckily, tball practice cancelled. Hope you stayed warm.

alexsmommy
04-13-2013, 02:05 PM
The hail/snow combination was the best this am. Had the weather on and the meteorologist said, "maybe a couple of flurries" as my grass was covered in tiny ice balls. Tomorrow, it should be 60 for ds' soccer game. Luckily, tball practice cancelled. Hope you stayed warm.

We said it looked like Dippin' Dots were falling to the ground.

Though to be clear, I will take that over 38 and icey cold rain any day.

AngelaS
04-13-2013, 04:57 PM
All our games this weekend were cancelled due to flooded fields. :P

KrisM
04-13-2013, 05:09 PM
I may live in Virginia, but DS1 plays travel soccer year round. As the coach says indoor soccer is for wimps, they play and practice in freezing temps all winter. We've played in the snow, sleet, pouring rain, single digit wind chills, you name it. She will call games/practice off for lightning but only until we cannot see it anymore.

My nephews play soccer and play indoors in the winter. Do they plow the fields for the games or will they call them off for that?

gobadgers
04-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Our game was cancelled today and I feel lucky for that. We got flurries this morning, but I think it was because our fields were flooded.

And now I'm looking forward to 60's tomorrow - keeps us on our toes, right?

Cam&Clay
04-13-2013, 07:05 PM
My nephews play soccer and play indoors in the winter. Do they plow the fields for the games or will they call them off for that?

We don't get much snow. If there is actual snow on the field, they will cancel the games/practice. I think that happened once this season and they just missed one practice. But if they are playing and it starts to snow, they just keep on. Snow, in my opinion, isn't as bad as 40 degrees and pouring rain. That just soaks the boys to the skin. And the wind...don't get me started on the wind.

Since he started playing year round, I have definitely added to my stash of thermal gear, boots, hats, scarves, etc. for me and for DS2. I buy hand/foot warmers by the case at Costco.

The crazy thing is that I will start missing the cold when he's playing on turf in the middle of summer. Turf is easily 10-15 degrees hotter than grass, so it's nothing for it to be 105+ on the field. It's brutal.

KrisM
04-13-2013, 07:22 PM
We don't get much snow. If there is actual snow on the field, they will cancel the games/practice. I think that happened once this season and they just missed one practice. But if they are playing and it starts to snow, they just keep on. Snow, in my opinion, isn't as bad as 40 degrees and pouring rain. That just soaks the boys to the skin. And the wind...don't get me started on the wind.

Since he started playing year round, I have definitely added to my stash of thermal gear, boots, hats, scarves, etc. for me and for DS2. I buy hand/foot warmers by the case at Costco.

The crazy thing is that I will start missing the cold when he's playing on turf in the middle of summer. Turf is easily 10-15 degrees hotter than grass, so it's nothing for it to be 105+ on the field. It's brutal.

Then indoor makes more sense here, since it would be covered with snow often enough to mess up the season. I agree about 40 and rain. It's been 35 and rain for about a week now here and it's just awful for everyone.

It always makes me glad DS1 does TKD. Inside :)