PDA

View Full Version : If you swaddled with both arms in, when did you stop swaddling?

L'sMommy
04-13-2013, 11:37 AM
And did you stop swaddling completely or did you take one/both arms out before getting rid of the swaddle?

Momit
04-13-2013, 11:54 AM
We did the full swaddle until about 6 months, then transitioned to a sleep sack. I don't remember doing it gradually or one arm at a time. That was also when we moved him out of our room and into his crib.

Nooknookmom
04-13-2013, 11:59 AM
DD2 wouldn't tolerate it past 3/4 months or so. Then she used a sleepsack.

flashy09
04-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Around 5 months. I never did the one arm out, just stopped cold turkey.

Liziz
04-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Till about 5 months, at which point she started breaking out and making it unsafe (it would end up around her neck/face). We tried a 1 armed transition but it didn't go well, so we just stopped. She spent the next several months sleeping primarily in her swing, which I think gave her some of the "enclosed" feeling w/o the swaddle (I'm not necessarily recommending that, I know people have some concerns w/ it, and it was difficult to transition from swing to crib....but it's what worked for us and kept us all sane and sleeping for those months). ETA: DD did awesome swaddled, and if we could have found a way to safely swaddle her longer (w/o concerns of safety) we definitely probably would have for a few more months)

bostonsmama
04-13-2013, 01:43 PM
I think once your child starts rolling over in the crib, it's a good idea to leave those arms out of the swaddle so they can push up should they land on their tummy. DD was in the newborn rock & play for the first 4 months, but when she starting ending up sideways in the "magic yellow chair" at night, we transitioned her to the crib and just used a sleepsack. She officially rolled over at 4 months, 2 weeks, and by 5 months she was rolling onto her tummy in the night. She frequently would face-plant into the mattress, and although it was the firmest Colgate, we had to get an Angel montior b/c she tried to suffocate herself a few times. Ugh, that transition was rough. DD was an insanely wiggly/active baby (in utero, in her sleep, and even while awake)...and she walked at 8 months!

echoesofspring
04-13-2013, 03:43 PM
With DS I feel like we swaddled up to a good 6 months at least. He would eventually break out, but by that time we were often using the miracle blanket so it wasn't a big deal.

With DD I've already pretty much stopped swaddling, she wants to constantly suck on her fingers. She's not quite 4 months old.

kboyle
04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
i'm pretty sure ds2 and ds3 were about 7mos. they could gte their legs out, but not their arms and they squirm around the crib, i remember ernie thinking it was so funny.