PDA

View Full Version : I am SO thirsty! Any great drinks that will help?

todzwife
04-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Yes, I am pregnant and my blood sugar is fine. I'm just thirsty LOL! I feel like water doesn't touch it. I've been drinking powerade zero and it helps a lot more, but water just goes straight through me.

Anything awesome I should try drinking that will help? Someone posted a link on facebook of some "detox" drinks that were just fruits and herbs and they all looked so amazing!
I am NOT a fan of most coconut waters, they are slimy and yuck.

Tondi G
04-14-2013, 02:03 AM
what about herbal tea? You could sweeten lightly with honey or agave. I love Paradise iced tea unsweetened, they make a decaffeinated one.

http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Passion-Pitcher-8-88-ounce-Package/dp/B001EO6280/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1365918782&sr=1-1&keywords=paradise+iced+tea+decaf

Other fruit tea flavors

http://www.amazon.com/Celestial-Seasonings-Sampler-Flavors-18-Count/dp/B000E63LME/ref=pd_sim_gro_11

You could also drink Arnold Palmers .... lemonade and decaf black tea (half and half).... I loved that when I was preggo!

I wouldn't drink too much powerade zero .... lots of artificial colors and sweeteners that just aren't great for you. I didn't like coconut water at first either but I've grown to enjoy it. For me it has to be super cold.

Oh and do you like sparkling beverages? Maybe some sparkling water with lime or lemon? Or a splash of cranberry juice?

infomama
04-14-2013, 02:13 AM
Not sure what would work better to quench your thirst but I would make sure I was eating a very low sodium diet. I'm a mess the day after I eat at a pizzeria....your sodium intake is worth a look.

pastrygirl
04-14-2013, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure if this will work, but since someone mentioned herbal tea... I just made tis this week and it's GOOD! I had to use more Stevia than I thought to tone down the Bragg's.

http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2012/8/9/make-cool-aid-not-kool-aid.html

JBaxter
04-14-2013, 09:29 AM
coconut water worked for me. I was INSANELY thirsty with Jack.

BunnyBee
04-14-2013, 10:01 AM
I haven't had artificial sweeteners in about 10 years, but diet drinks always made me more thirsty. Maybe the Powerade Zero is exacerbating your thirst?

I liked ice cold, plain water or iced tea when pregnant. I went through tons of boxes of teas experimenting with flavors.

There's a recipe for homemade "Gatorade" with water, OJ, salt, and sugar. My kids love it (sports or when they are sick) and I even reduce the sugar.

Does fruit help? Fresh melon, pineapple, strawberries...

ETA: Coconut water alone is unpalatable but in smoothies with frozen fruit, it's good! I forgot DH made some when I was dehydrated from morning sickness.

okinawama
04-14-2013, 10:01 AM
coconut water worked for me.

I use coconut water after my really long runs and find it quenches my thirst far better than just water ( but I find it very expensive!).

waitingforgrace
04-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Cucumber. Juice it, make a smoothie or just put lots of slices in water.

misshollygolightly
04-14-2013, 01:55 PM
I LOVE to keep a pitcher of water in the fridge with slices of lemon, lime, oranges, and/or cucumber floating in it. I also throw in fresh mint leaves and/or cubes of watermelon if I have them on hand. Any combo of those things is pretty amazing, really! Up the fruit/herbs for a more intense flavor.

Momit
04-14-2013, 02:23 PM
I LOVE to keep a pitcher of water in the fridge with slices of lemon, lime, oranges, and/or cucumber floating in it. I also throw in fresh mint leaves and/or cubes of watermelon if I have them on hand. Any combo of those things is pretty amazing, really! Up the fruit/herbs for a more intense flavor.

Yes, this! It tastes so good and is a little different each time you make it.

I also love iced green tea with ginger and mint from a Real Simple recipe - green tea, ginger slices, mint leaves, honey and lemon. You boil the water with the ginger in it. Remove from heat, add tea bags and mint, and steep for 15 min. then add honey and lemon.

anamika
04-14-2013, 02:39 PM

I want to do something like this but I am wondering how long you can leave it in the fridge. Do you have to use it in 24 hrs or can it last a day or 2? Call me lazy but it seems like a lot of work for everyday but once in 2-3 days sounds somehow more doable!

infomama
04-14-2013, 03:01 PM
I forgot about celery juice! DH juices celery often as a post workout recovery. It's really hydrating...just make sure you get organic.

123LuckyMom
04-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Try eating juicy fruits as well as drinking water. I found eating things like watermelon, grapes, and apples really helped quench my thirst. I wouldn't drink too much Gatorade or any drink like that. Most of them have a ton of sodium and end up making you thirstier. Stick with water, herbal teas that you make yourself (nothing pre-prepared in a bottle), and fruits and veggies. Peppers can be nice and juicy. Cucumber juice I bet is fantastic, though I've never had it.

Momit
04-14-2013, 04:27 PM
I want to do something like this but I am wondering how long you can leave it in the fridge. Do you have to use it in 24 hrs or can it last a day or 2? Call me lazy but it seems like a lot of work for everyday but once in 2-3 days sounds somehow more doable!

It should make it 2 days, maybe 3. But mine never lasts that long so I don't know from experience. I drink so much more water this way than when it's plain.

anamika
04-14-2013, 05:07 PM
It should make it 2 days, maybe 3. But mine never lasts that long so I don't know from experience. I drink so much more water this way than when it's plain.

Thanks - I added some orange and kiwi slices to a pitcher. We shall see. I am also hoping that it will increase my water consumption. I really don't like the taste of regular tap water here - though it is not horrible enough to buy the bottled stuff like we have had to do in our old house.

Jacksmommy2b
04-14-2013, 11:03 PM
No longer pregnant ;) but I am hooked on wegman's brand canned sparkling water. No sugar, no additives just s little bit of bubble. May be worth a try!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mikala
04-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks - I added some orange and kiwi slices to a pitcher. We shall see. I am also hoping that it will increase my water consumption. I really don't like the taste of regular tap water here - though it is not horrible enough to buy the bottled stuff like we have had to do in our old house.

Have you tried a brita filter or similar? I found it increased my water intake dramatically.

abh5e8
04-14-2013, 11:23 PM
i drink lots more when its filtered water at room temp. i also like to add lemon or lime juice

misshollygolightly
04-15-2013, 09:33 AM

Oh yes, it should definitely last two days in the fridge (possibly longer). And it shouldn't be that much work--just toss a few slices, chunks or wedges of whatever fruit you're using in the pitcher, fill with water, and muddle it around a bit with a wooden spoon. Voila! You could add more water the fruit the next day and save yourself having to cut up more fruit the second day.