PDA

View Full Version : Another BBB Thank You . . . Ode to the Balance Bike

Kindra178
04-14-2013, 10:08 AM
With the warmer weather hopefully around the corner, we checked out our new bike store yesterday. Ds1 upgraded to a 20 inch Trek, we turned our 16 inch Specialized Hotrock into a balance bike for Ds2 and Ds3 got a 12 inch Trek, no training wheels. The twins started using Hotwalks before they were three but I wasn't sure how long it would it take them to transition to pedaling. Unlike ds1, they had no interest in our Kettler so they have had very limited pedaling experience.

First day out yesterday afternoon. Ds1 is happy with the Trek. He said the seat is way more comfortable than the Specialized. It's a much bigger and heavier bike though. He loved his big boy bike. Ds2 was gliding happily on his bigger balance bike.

Ds3 was excited to have a pedal bike. I walked with him a couple of times on our street. I could feel he was ready to take off. I asked him and he did. 4.5 and no training wheels. I was so happy for him. He was so proud and having so much fun.

Thank you BBB for telling me about balance bikes. You guys make parenting so much easier. Just one more to go . . .

AngB
04-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Just one more to go . . .

Nevermind, I figured it out.
Hopefully DS2 will be pedaling soon too.

Any tips on getting my 2 yr old to figure out his balance bike?

vludmilla
04-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Nevermind, I figured it out.
Hopefully DS2 will be pedaling soon too.

Any tips on getting my 2 yr old to figure out his balance bike?

Check out youtube videos of kids on balance bikes. That helped my DD figure it out. She loved her balance bike and just figured out how to ride her two wheel bike with no training wheels yesterday. It was only her second day trying it out. Balance bikes are awesome. :)

Kindra178
04-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Just tell him to walk on it, without sitting. Make sure his feet are flat on the ground when he is sitting.

MSWR0319
04-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Congrats!! I wish my 4.5 yo would take to his balance bike. I'm about ready to give up and get him a bike with training wheels.

LD92599
04-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Another love for the bb wisdom of balance bikes, but many moons ago! Ds1 (now 10) learned on the cheap clearance target balance bike!

brittone2
04-14-2013, 01:32 PM
We are big fans as well.

DS1 hung onto his for a while as we he couldn't fit on a 16 inch and since he wasn't complaining, we didn't buy a 14 inch. His transition to a pedal bike was ridiculously easy at 5 and he was very adept at riding once he switched.

DD moved to a 14 inch pedal bike (she's very petite) at 3.5 and it took about an hour to figure out.

DS2 just started on the pedal bike at a few weeks past his 3rd bday.

We have gotten so much use out of ours. Two neighborhood kids also borrowed it briefly and it got them over the hump from training wheels to no training wheels in about a week for each of them.

Glad it was such a successful experience!

I agree with PPs-we showed my DS1 videos when he got the BB for his 3rd bday. He started with walking on it and then transitioned to running and then gliding. The younger kids caught on without videos as they had a sibling to model it for them.

Momit
04-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Love, love, love balance bikes. We are going to start DS on a 14" pedal bike any day now. He's way past ready for it - I'm just not quite ready to let the balance bike go because it's so.darn.cute! (And because the 14" bike is at my parents' house and we won't see them for another week or two.)

Kindra178
04-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Our bike store didn't have any 14 inch options, which is why we went with a 12 inch for ds3. Who makes these?

Momit
04-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Our bike store didn't have any 14 inch options, which is why we went with a 12 inch for ds3. Who makes these?

Ours is a Kent that I got on Craigslist for $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000161RFU/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1365971743&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

I was excited to find a 14" because they are uncommon. But I wanted one because the 12" would be the same size as his balance bike and a 16" is such a big jump.

MommyAllison
04-14-2013, 05:27 PM
DS just had balance bike success too! He took off on the pedal bike last week - we had to send DD1 (on her bike) after him to get him to stop and come back. :) DS is really too big for his current 12" bike, but we figured it would be easier to control as he learned to pedal than the 16" we have waiting for his birthday later this month. Love balance bikes!!

okinawama
04-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Yay! Perfect timing for some summer bike rides! We love balance bikes around here as well!