PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with FRENCH translations

Staraglimmer
04-14-2013, 02:53 PM
DD1 is having a Madeline themed Birthday party. I want to make little shop signs for the different activity tables. DD wants them to be in French because "everything sounds fancy in French" (Thanks Fancy Nancy). I don't speak French, so I used a translator. Are any of these translations awkward or wrong? Thanks so much for any help! I know that I need it!

Hat Shop
boutique de chapeaux

Dress Shop
Magasin de robe

Bakery
Boulangerie

Jewlery Sjop
Magasin de Jewlery

Library
Bibliothèque

Candy Shop
Magasin de Bonbon

Photo booth
Cabine de photo

Frame shoppe
Magasin de charpente

megs4413
04-14-2013, 03:10 PM
My French is pretty rusty, but I think you want confiserie for candy shop and bijouterie for jewelry store.

plusbellelavie
04-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Jewelry store=Bijouterie

Frame shop: magasin de cadres but I have never seen a store like this in France and neither has my DH but this is closer in translation then charpente

Magasin de robe or magasin de vetement pour femme (literally woman clothes store)

Confiserie for candy store
Hth

Sounds like a fun party!

Staraglimmer
04-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Thank you! I knew that the literal translations from a computer would be odd. The Frame store is where they will chose frames for their pictures, like where you would go to have something custom framed. :)

MontrealMum
04-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Hat Shop
Dress Shop
Since these aren't necessarily terms that are used much anymore, it's hard to know which English term to translate. For example, "Haberdashery" translates to "Mercerie" in French, but I think that it referred men's clothing, not women's. A "Milliner" did women's hats, and translates to "Modiste", but "Modiste" in English used to refer to women's dressmakers. Confusing :)

Bakery
Boulangerie

Jewlery Shop
Bijouterie

Library
Bibliothèque

Candy Shop
This one's a little trickier. You could go with "Magasin de bonbon" which is a straight-up translation. Or you could use "Confiserie" which translates to sweet shop or confectioner's. This is a more traditional term. There's also "Chocolaterie" which is strictly a chocolate-maker's shop.

Photo booth
La Cabine de photo seems to be the best bet for this. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a term that is used in English by French speakers, however, the way they say "Le parking" rather than use the actual French term.

Frame shoppe
Magasin d'encadrement - just so you know, this is a shop that frames things as well as sells frames.

Mopey
04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
I think maybe Magasin des Chapeaux (plural). Also, as PP wrote, La Confiserie.

Don't forget "La Toilette" ;)