PDA

View Full Version : Stranger photographed DD at park - WWYD?

Pinky
04-14-2013, 10:30 PM
We were having a blanket picnic at the park today when a man (65ish) walked up and told us that he had taken a few great pictures of us and wanted to know if we wanted him to email them to us. At first I thought for sure he was going to be asking for us to buy them, but that wasn't the case. Looked like he was just an amateur photographer out taking pictures of all the spring blooms like tons of other people were doing.

As soon as he walked up to us I was instantly on guard because it was just myself and my daughter but he seemed harmless enough. Later in the day I saw him there with his wife and family so that made me feel a little bit better. They all commented on how pretty/sweet my DD was etc and seemed nice.

Anyway, I was just curious what you guys would have done in this situation? Would you give your email to a stranger? Would you be freaked out because he took pictures of your daughter without asking first or think it was no big deal? (poll coming)

infocrazy
04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
I have an account that I only use for Craigslist. It has no identifying info. I would have given that one because a. I would like the photos and b. then I would get HIS info. In general, I suppose I buy his story, and I think I would have been more concerned had I seen him taking photos and had him NOT explain.

SnuggleBuggles
04-14-2013, 11:01 PM
I have an account that I only use for Craigslist. It has no identifying info. I would have given that one because a. I would like the photos and b. then I would get HIS info. In general, I suppose I buy his story, and I think I would have been more concerned had I seen him taking photos and had him NOT explain.

:yeahthat:

I took a really cute photo of this elderly couple snuggling on a bench in the park on a beautiful spring day. I really wanted to approach them and offer to email the photo but didn't. I regret that I didn't talk to them b/c it was just a moment that I really liked. I didn't approach them b/c I thought they would think it was weird.

citymama
04-15-2013, 12:18 AM
I totally get how that is creepy. Last month, DD1 was wading at the beach in her undies one day (we had gone for a picnic, it was not warm enough to swim but the kid was unstoppable). some guy with a telephoto lens was photographing the sunset but I coulda sworn he was taking pics of her - my DH thinks I'm ridiculous. Anyway, I got her out and dressed as soon as I noticed. With the guy you encountered, my hunch is he's harmless, because he came up to you and told you. Yeah, he coulda been trying to get your personal info, and it's probably best you didn't give him an email address. But he's probably ok. With cell phone cameras, one has to guess this is becoming more prevalent. Makes me quite uncomfortable.

rlu
04-15-2013, 01:21 AM
If DH was with me, I would have asked he delete the pictures. If DH wasn't with me, I would ask to look at the pictures as a way to buy time to evaluate him/the situation if I should ask him to delete or let it be.

cntrymoon2
04-15-2013, 02:55 AM
If DH was with me, I would have asked he delete the pictures. If DH wasn't with me, I would ask to look at the pictures as a way to buy time to evaluate him/the situation if I should ask him to delete or let it be.

I like this answer. I don't know if I would have the guts to do it, I'm enough of a chicken that I would probably clam up and stammer out a reply and then be bugged by it all day.
Any stranger (man or woman) taking pictures of my child would make me so uneasy.

wellyes
04-15-2013, 06:28 AM
I was going for a walk to the local mailbox yesterday when an old man, walking his dog, offered to take the letters in my hand for me, because he was headed that way. I thought it was sweet. But said no thanks.

Kim suspect this old guy was being sweet. But I'd say no thanks.

I am not instantly suspicious of strangers (unless my instinct tells me otherwise) and I don't really get my hackles up about photographs.

I think he was trying to be polite / not creepy by informing you that he'd taken them.

Pennylane
04-15-2013, 07:41 AM
I voted give him my email, although I would have given him my "junk " account one that does not identify me by any names.

Ann

Melaine
04-15-2013, 08:09 AM
I would have given my email. I think he was just being nice. Taking photos of someone else's children is not something I would ever do but at the same time it is not illegal or shady in and of itself. I have had people come up and ask me to take the girls' photos before, several times, mostly at places like parks. It's weird but folks are weird.

poppy
04-15-2013, 08:11 AM
This happened to me at my wedding. It occurred on the hotel's private beach. Someone took pictures of us and offerred to send it. I gave my junk email and they sent the pictures. I did not think it was creepy. I thought they were very nice to do it. The couple said we looked so nice they took some pics.

But when ppl do this to my kids--and it's been done--I am not pleased.
I wish ppl would realize that there's a reason why in the wild a mama bear will rip you in half if you go near her cubs... us human moms have to be a bit more civil.
Once on the plane, a young adult--20s female took pics of my baby to post on FB. I was upset but she kept snapping away. I find that very strange.
An older man--grandfather type asked to take a picture of my DCs to show his grandchildren and though I found it a little weird, I let him do it. He seemed ok. He never offered me the pics though.

georgiegirl
04-15-2013, 08:14 AM
My dad does this. (Are you in Southern California...maybe it was him...seriously). He's an amateur photographer and loves taking pictures of kids. I've told him people might think its creepy. I don't think he understands how it could be inappropriate. He's a CPA, but spends tons of time on photography and videography and has actually photographed bar mitzvahs and done some work for the LA Bar association.

Seitvonzu
04-15-2013, 08:46 AM
i've had old people ask if they could photograph my child before, and i've had it "just happen" too. it does send off my weird vibe a bit, but i think it's more a wistful generational thing (i've never had a 20 something ask to take my kids picture...they are more likely to ask that I take a picture of THEM...i find solo photo shoots of adults weirder than kid photos ;))

but i get the "creepy" vibe too..... i dont' think you have to worry this time and i do think i'd give my email cause i'd want the pictures ;)

janine
04-15-2013, 08:46 AM
I think giving an email that you use for "spam" is a good idea. Based on what you wrote no alarms went off (and I'm not a trusting person at all), it seems harmless and he was honest. Be good to at least have them though rather than have them floating aroud unknown though.

Momit
04-15-2013, 08:54 AM
I also think some people just don't realize that it might be seen as creepy. Before I had kids I wouldn't have really understood either. I'd give my email address to get the pictures.

A realtor we're working with is quite fanatical about it. She was going to take a picture of a park behind a house we're looking at, but she said she would have to go when there aren't any kids playing because she won't photograph kids.

lkoala
04-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Maybe I'm paranoid... I won't even let my husband or brother post my daughter's pics on facebook. Anything that gets out on the web has little chance of being curtailed.

I wouldn't voluntarily let a stranger take pics of my kid without finding out exactly what they are going to do with the pics. However, I think having it emailed to me would be the best way to go in the park situation.

The way you describe it does seem like it is an innocent thing.

wendibird22
04-15-2013, 12:18 PM
I would have it emailed to me. I'd want to see what the pics look like and have contact info for the man JIC. But it sounds innocent to me. I also think it is appropriate to ask him not to post the pics or share with anyone else without your consent. A reasonable person would have no problem with that request.

Pinky
04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies... He did offer to let me look at them on his camera and they were all completely innocent. We happened to be having our picnic by the most beautiful tulip patch ever so I think he just thought we'd like them. I'm looking forward to seeing them and hope he does actually send the pics. I gave him an email address I use for junk just to be extra safe.

Like someone else mentioned I'm super weird about my DDs picture being posted anywhere online too... I post a few on FB to a very limited audience but even those I know could be "out there" for more to see. Family, friends and even daycare knows that we don't like her picture posted places and that I'm a little paranoid about this kind of thing in general. ;-)

mommy111
04-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I would have given my junk email address.

I would have given my email. I think he was just being nice. Taking photos of someone else's children is not something I would ever do but at the same time it is not illegal or shady in and of itself. I have had people come up and ask me to take the girls' photos before, several times, mostly at places like parks. It's weird but folks are weird.
I can totally see someone doing that to your twins, I still remeber their very cute photos with the curly hair that you used to have as your avatar. Probably the cutest little girls I've ever seen.