PDA

View Full Version : how common are evap lines

tabegle
04-15-2013, 10:16 AM
How common are evap lines within 10 minutes of POAS?

I have a dollar store cheapie and the second line appears very very faintly.

tabegle
04-15-2013, 12:31 PM
I think I'll just take this as a bad test.

I'm a POAS-aholic, but... Lots of strange things. :)

When I used to POAS all the time, I never got evap lines. But I have more recently. I'll just wait the few more days like I'm supposed to.

Generation X and Generation Y'ers with our need for instant gratification! :)

sariana
04-15-2013, 12:44 PM
There was a post a few days ago about a bad batch of tests that were giving false positives and evaporation lines. The poster was essence?? I don't remember her exact user name.

Indianamom2
04-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Hmmm...only very faint lines I ever got were real ones. I would consider it positive until proven negative....I never had problems with First Response tests. Good luck to you!

sariana
04-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Another thought: it is my understanding that evap lines are more grayish rather than the pink (usually) of a positive line. Also evap lines tend to show up later, whereas a positive appears within the 5-minute window. That's just what I've read, though--no BTDT.

Snow mom
04-15-2013, 01:00 PM
From my POAS addict friends I've heard they're much more common with blue dye tests. I bought a bunch of the wondfro cheapie tests and was happy with those.

georgiegirl
04-15-2013, 01:49 PM
I never had an evap line on a dollar tree test within 10 minutes. I think the Internet cheapies are less reliable.

tabegle
04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
I know I'm probably crazy.

I'll just test again every few days until something shows up... either a darker, thicker line or my period.

What do you think?

georgiegirl
04-15-2013, 02:43 PM
That looks positive to me. :)

I first tested with that test at 11 DPO and it looked like that. I'm 5 months along now.

chottumommy
04-15-2013, 02:48 PM
that looks like a positive. Evap lines are grayish and usually more common with the blue dye tests.

I had a fainter pink with DS2 which only I could see :)

elektra
04-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Exciting! I remember the excitement of seeing that line!
Looks like a positive to me. :)

brittone2
04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
I'd vote it is positive too. DD's was extraordinarily faint, and DH didn't really believe it. I told him if my infertility journey with DS1 had taught me anything, it was that a line is a line when read in the test window!

The weird thing is that the next morning with FMU, same brand (FRER) it was negative. A 2nd brand (equate) was also negative. I figured it was a chemical, waited for my period, and it never showed. A few days later I retested and it was a strong +. Weird start, but that first line was most definitely a line, even though it was faint.

Congrats!!!

tabegle
04-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy.:yay:

Now, I think I do need to wait a few days to have a darker line to 1) convince myself, 2) show DH, and 3) call the Dr to get my IUD removed. My Dr never did blood tests with either of my first two pregnancies and trying to get the nurses to look at the pee tests at every angle will be too much work for me.

We were talking about getting the IUD removed in July/August. Agh.. I'm still not convinced. but I'll go take my prenatal just in case. :)

It could have been that "bad batch". (okay, I'm just talking to my self now!)

Thanks again ladies!

Snow mom
04-15-2013, 03:56 PM
I don't even have to squint to see that. If you have an IUD (or should have an IUD?) I'd call your OB right away.

KLD313
04-15-2013, 08:21 PM
That looks like an obvious positive to me! You're not crazy.

elektra
04-15-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't even have to squint to see that. If you have an IUD (or should have an IUD?) I'd call your OB right away.

:yeahthat:

queenmama
04-15-2013, 08:41 PM

I agree! Positive!!!! And call you doctor!

Lara

Indianamom2
04-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Yep, I saw that one right away (coming from an experienced test-taker). I'd say congrats are in order!:bighand:

tabegle
04-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone.

I bought a different brand this afternoon and will test with first morning urine tomorrow. If there's even a faint:) line, I'll call the doctor.

It's so hard not to take that test tonight though.:hug5:

essnce629
04-15-2013, 09:48 PM
From my POAS addict friends I've heard they're much more common with blue dye tests. I bought a bunch of the wondfro cheapie tests and was happy with those.

I posted a few days ago about the test that I took that was defective. It was from a batch of Wondfro tests (bought off Amazon, pink dye) and mine had a faint line within 5 minutes but it ended up being wrong. I took another test the next morning with FMU and it was negative and AF arrived a few hours later. Over on the Two Week Wait boards there's a sticky on the boards about the defective Wondfro tests and their lot numbers and expiration dates. I have about 17 tests left and don't know if I should keep them or throw them out.

I know I'm probably crazy.

I'll just test again every few days until something shows up... either a darker, thicker line or my period.

What do you think?

That looks positive to me. My test at 10 dpo when I was pregnant with DS2 looked like that.

Jacksmommy2b
04-15-2013, 10:01 PM
How common are evap lines within 10 minutes of POAS?

I have a dollar store cheapie and the second line appears very very faintly.

My $ store cheapie evap line turned 7 months old on Saturday! ;)

Eta: looks like a sure + to me! Congrats!
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Tondi G
04-15-2013, 10:57 PM
WOW that looks like a faint line to me! I think you will see more with FMU! I always felt confident with the early First Response tests.

If it is a + I would suggest calling your OB asap!

tabegle
04-16-2013, 12:58 PM
The First Response test proved negative this morning. Maybe there's another set of bad tests?

I'll test again in a few days just to be sure.

I was kinda getting excited about it though.

brittone2
04-16-2013, 03:37 PM
The First Response test proved negative this morning. Maybe there's another set of bad tests?

I'll test again in a few days just to be sure.

I was kinda getting excited about it though.

Oh, that is so frustrating! I posted up thread about my faint positive with DD. Very faint on FRER. The next morning I tested with FMU, and FRER (same brand!) and Equate were both negative. Totally neg. I thought maybe a chemical pgcy and waited for my period. Several days later, nada. So I tested again and blazingly positive on both brands.

I still have no idea what happened. I think on the peeonasticksite she says that while tests may guarantee they can detect a certain hcg leel there may be some tests even within the same brand that are slightly more sensitive. http://www.peeonastick.com/hpts.html I don't know if that's what happened with DD or not, but something to consider.

goldenpig
04-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Can you use the ones that have words instead of lines? This is the one I used, because I didn't want to be confused by the results:
Clearblue Digital (http://www.clearblueeasy.com/clearblue-easy-digital-pregnancy-test.php)
http://www.clearblueeasy.com/images/digital_pregancy_pregnant.jpg
http://www.clearblueeasy.com/images/digital_pregancy_not-pregnant.jpg

BDKmom
04-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Can you use the ones that have words instead of lines?

:yeahthat: I am awful at reading the lines, so I just went with the digital ones. If you are a POAS-aholic, then use the cheap ones until you get something you think is positive, then use the digital one to confirm. With both my kids, I got a clear, easy to read, no doubt about it "pregnant" two days before AF was due to arrive.

Staraglimmer
04-16-2013, 04:51 PM
That is absolutely a positive in my opinion. I guess there could be a bad batch though.

brittone2
04-16-2013, 05:05 PM
The digitals use a higher threshold though, don't they? So if she was pg and just at the threshold of detection for FRER, then she might get a faint + but a neg. on the digital.

Peeonastick has all of the hcg sensitivity levels.

KLD313
04-16-2013, 08:38 PM
The digitals use a higher threshold though, don't they? So if she was pg and just at the threshold of detection for FRER, then she might get a faint + but a neg. on the digital.

Peeonastick has all of the hcg sensitivity levels.

Yes. I think the Dollar Tree tests are super sensitive.

ECUPirateMom
04-16-2013, 10:17 PM
I have always had positive results on the Dollar Tree tests 1-2 days before most others (including the FRER)!

Sent from my SGH-T989

tabegle
04-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the feed back. The first test, with the faint positive was a dollar tree test taken with FMU. I finally showed DH the picture of the test, not admitting it was mine and just saying is was from my "mom boards" to ask if he saw the second line. He saw it and then I told him it was mine.

The second one I took was the target generic with FMU and got a negative, confirmed with DH.

So, not happy with that result, he he he :), I checked out peeonastick.com (http://www.peeonastick.com/hpts.html) and the First Response Early Result is supposed to be the most sensitive beating out the Dollar Tree by more than 2 (whatever the unit of measurement is). The first response I took this afternoon was also negative.

I could go buy a digital, but POAS.com says they aren't as sensitive, though, I think that website hasn't been updated in some time.

With both of my kids, I tested positive at 12 DPO. So, I really just had a fluke test or a chemical pregnancy and should expect a period any day (or not because the damn IUD causes light/questionable periods. (I did check for strings.) If I can restrain from testing for a few more days... :) I'll keep you posted if anything changes. :)

AnnieW625
04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
I would go and get the First Response test and retest. Those were great. With DD2 it was positive before the urine lab test done at the drs. office lab was positive by a couple of days. I actually had to do two pee in a cup tests for her a couple of days apart (I went to two different clinic labs associated with our drs. office.)

essnce629
04-17-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking the first test may have been defective, especially if your IUD is still in place and you can feel the strings. What is the percent chance of getting pregnant with an IUD in place? I know it's possible, but I think it's pretty rare. Usually it's because the IUD has slipped out unnoticed. When is AF actually due? Is your IUD the Mirena or the copper one?

If you are pregnant though you should be seen ASAP to have the IUD removed and to have an ultrasound to make sure the pregnancy is not ectopic, as up to 50% of IUD pregnancies are.

llama8
04-17-2013, 08:57 PM
I used an expired Dollar Tree test wit DD2 because I was convinced I wasn't pregnant, but DH thought otherwise. The Dollar Tree test was extremely positive with dark lines. The EPT I used rights after was also positive but much fainter/almost as light as an evaporation line. I think Dollar Store tests are very sensitive.

I can't really tell from your picture. It could go either way. I would probably go with negative and test again in another day or two. (Only because I would hate to get my hopes up with such an unclear result).

bostonsmama
04-18-2013, 07:56 AM
This is what happened to me. I had a hard ice skating fall, so I took a Dollar Tree hpt test to make sure I could take a motrin. For 5 min it was neg, so I popped the pills and left the house. 2hrs later I came home and it was faint but pink. The next morning, I took another test and it was neg for 5 min. I came back at 9 min and it was light but darker pink than the first. Two days after that, I got a beta that came back at 109. Those suckers are sensitive!! If blood levels double every 48hrs, as mine have, then my blood level was around 50mIU/mL on the 2nd test...and it picked a trace up on the first test the day before! I read so many forums on evap lines, and usually it was grey/silver and less common in pink-line tests.

Good luck, girl. Be super careful w/ that IUD complication. Hopefully they'll take you seriously and see you early.

OKKiddo
04-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Any updates? I would have peed on at least a dozen by now, lol!

tabegle
04-20-2013, 10:45 AM
After a few more negatives, my period showed up friday which was almost a week late. I suspect it was a chemical pregnancy. Originally, I was hesitant to have my Iud removed in July/August, but now I'm kinda sad about not being pregnant.

queenmama
04-20-2013, 10:53 AM
aww, I'm sorry. :(

Lara

OKKiddo
04-20-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm really sorry. Chemical or not your feelings were there the whole time. <3

tabegle
04-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks. I'll be okay. I'm very lucky to have my two beautiful kids. And at that, after my thyroid induced PCOS was addressed, I got pregnant asap each time. (Also thanks to the book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility )

Hopefully, I'll be as lucky in the future when we plan it out.

Thanks for riding this roller coaster with me! :wink2:

AnnieW625
04-21-2013, 10:36 AM
After a few more negatives, my period showed up friday which was almost a week late. I suspect it was a chemical pregnancy. Originally, I was hesitant to have my Iud removed in July/August, but now I'm kinda sad about not being pregnant.

I am 99% sure I had two of those as well. Gained 5lbs out of no where and then had a late period. I never tested with the first, but did with the second.

tabegle
04-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Holy cow, I didn't even relate my sudden 5 lbs to that! That makes total sense now.