PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Low Iron and how to up it through diet

marymoo86
04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I was able to raise my levels from 10.6 to 11.7 :D.

At my appt on Friday, the lab did a blood draw and check my iron levels which are a bit low than normal. OB wants to try to up through diet prior to moving toward a supplement.

If you had lower iron, were you able to raise it through diet alone? I ensured I checked the higher iron foods and bought iron fortified oatmeal, granola, sunflower seeds, nuts, and organic dark chocolate (all stating 40-50% RDV if eating a serving) to incorporate daily. Eat lean red mean a couple of times a week as well. I haven't tried eating shellfish since I had a series of reactions to shrimp and never got test prior to getting pregnant and I do not eat tofu and organ meats.

I try to incorporate a salad 3-4 a weeks to get the greens in as well. I also try to pair vitamin c to maximize iron absorption so will had strawberries/guava/etc to oatmeal or salads and so on.

Any other recommendations? Did anyone successfully raise iron levels through diet alone?

ray7694
04-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Yes. I can tell when I am low on iron as I feel like I have been hit by a bus. I just make sure my diet takes in more iron. I like raisins and prunes for snack.

sunshine873
04-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Cook as much as you can in a cast iron pan...seriously. The cast iron won't add iron to your food, but it accentuates and brings out the iron already in foods.

Also, vitamin C helps you to absorb iron, so combine foods high in vit C with foods high in iron. Those are your best bets beyond taking supplements.

sntm
04-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Nettles
Chicken liver

wellyes
04-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Daily green smoothie .... Spinach, fruit, water, whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I do have flordix for DD. It is a non constipating, highly absorbed supplement.

mikala
04-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Cook as much as you can in a cast iron pan...seriously. The cast iron won't add iron to your food, but it accentuates and brings out the iron already in foods.

Also, vitamin C helps you to absorb iron, so combine foods high in vit C with foods high in iron. Those are your best bets beyond taking supplements.

I agree. Blackstrap molasses is also supposed to be helpful.

sariana
04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
I was going to suggest raisins, but PP beat me to it.

Calcium interferes with the absorption of iron. So try to consume your dairy (if you eat it) or other sources of calcium separately from your iron sources. Basically, eat kosher. :)

ETA: broccoli!

Tondi G
04-15-2013, 10:49 PM
pumpkin seeds!

Cook in a cast iron pan. cooked spinach should have a higher concentration of iron than raw. the iron in spinach and most other vegetable is more difficult to absorb. Vitamin C helps increase the absorption.

http://www.ironrichfood.org/

brittone2
04-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Since we LC, I already eat enough red meat, I cook in cast iron all. the. time. and eat lots of greens like spinach, etc.

I never had an issue until my third pregnancy, and my iron was repeatedly low despite my diet. I ended up talking to my mws and doing Floradix. It worked.

I was also making a pregnancy tea blend and started upping my nettles like a PP suggested (if not contraindicated for your situation, obviously).

oneontheway
04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Yes. I can tell when I am low on iron as I feel like I have been hit by a bus. I just make sure my diet takes in more iron. I like raisins and prunes for snack.

This is so true! I went through my 1st and 2nd trimesters feeling horrible, couldn't get off the couch with three kids running around. It wasn't until third trimester when I started having heavy breathing that the dr said well your iron numbers are a bit low, you might want to try Fergon (a more gentle iron supplement) and it has worked wonders! I feel 100% better and I'm 32 weeks. Granted I still have all the aches and pains of a 4th pregancy but I can get things done. Good luck :)

klwa
04-18-2013, 12:19 PM

:yeahthat: When DS was anemic, I was told to cook in cast iron to help bring it back up.

Also, since you're in NC, if you'll eat grits, most instant grits are high in iron.

marymoo86
05-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Posted update - thanks again for all the tips :D