PDA

View Full Version : keep or toss: sippy cup

petesgirl
04-15-2013, 03:31 PM
My 2 yr old DS walked off with a sippy cup about 4 days ago and I never found it until today when I was doing his laundry (it was at the bottom of the dirty clothes hamper-go figure!). It had about a 1/2 of curdled milk in it but no 'visible' growth of other kinds. Would you toss it or trust that a cycle or two through the dishwasher would make it clean enough? It is the playtex kind that has the little plastic piece inside the lid...

bisous
04-15-2013, 03:32 PM
I would wash it really well and reuse it. Think HOT water, detergent and lots of agitation but I'm also not a germ freak.

SnuggleBuggles
04-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Take it apart, wash it and use it. It's fine.

sunshine873
04-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Curdled milk just grosses me out to no end. I threw those out. But, if you can handle it, wash it really well and see how it smells afterward.

But for me, it wasn't worth the few $.

mommyoftwo
04-15-2013, 03:38 PM
I also washed them in the sink with hot water and then the dishwasher for sanitization assuming that there was nothing stuck in a crack or anything like that.

ilfaith
04-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I can't even count how many times we've "lost" sippy cups of milk for a few days, only to find them filled with something between yogurt and cottage cheese. I've always washed them by hand (using a bottle brush to get the nooks, crannies and valves) then autoclave them in the dishwasher.

AngB
04-15-2013, 03:49 PM
I can't even count how many times we've "lost" sippy cups of milk for a few days, only to find them filled with something between yogurt and cottage cheese. I've always washed them by hand (using a bottle brush to get the nooks, crannies and valves) then autoclave them in the dishwasher.

:yeahthat:

crl
04-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Wash it well, let it dry thoroughly then keep it. Of course, our sippies are Kleen Kanteens so I'd be throwing away 20 bucks. . . .

Catherine

Melaine
04-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Wash it well, let it dry thoroughly then keep it. Of course, our sippies are Kleen Kanteens so I'd be throwing away 20 bucks. . . .

Catherine

:yeahthat: This is one of the reasons I prefer glass or SS, because it just cleans better. But even with plastic I wouldn't worry about this at all.

s7714
04-15-2013, 04:42 PM
I'd wash it well and move on. I'd say the worst I've found was a used juice/water sippy that had gotten buried under stuff in the car on a road trip. A couple weeks later it was growing science experiments. That one I soaked in full strength vinegar, washed well, put the pieces in boiling water and then reused. ;)

KLD313
04-15-2013, 05:04 PM
In that case I would wash but I've thrown those Playtex cups out before when the little valve got moldy.