PDA

View Full Version : Sealants on baby teeth molars-is everyone doing this now?

Reader
04-15-2013, 06:43 PM
I've now had these recommended twice by 2 different dentists for my 7 and 9 year old. Just curious if anyone has done it or if anyone has reasons not to do it.

ray7694
04-15-2013, 06:46 PM
I did it with my 9 yo dsm and he has had no cavities. I am about to do it with my dd who already has a spot on a molar. The molars last until they are 12 and we have bad teeth in our family.

Green_Tea
04-15-2013, 06:46 PM
My dentist recommended sealants on molars (6 and 12 year), but not on premolars (which fall out).

AnnieW625
04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Hasn't been recommended yet as DD1 is 7. Both DH and I have only ever had one cavity and our dentist doesn't expect more. I hope our kids have the same great luck. If sealing really does help I would get them done on adult molars.

Reader
04-15-2013, 07:02 PM
It makes sense to me on adult molars. I'm waiting for someone who won't make money off of it to convince me on pre molars. So far neither kid has cavities, and DH and I have pretty good luck with cavities as well.

mikala
04-15-2013, 07:06 PM
No experience with it yet but I thought I read somewhere (here?) that some of the sealants contain BPA. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Nooknookmom
04-15-2013, 07:07 PM
From my exp with DD1, she had ZERO cavities. They tried to bully (actually shame is more fitting) us into paying for sealants even though it wasn't warranted.

I can see having the permanent molars sealed if the child was prone to cavities (wish they would have done that to me as a kid). It is a great money maker for dentists.

Baby teeth? No way.

brittone2
04-15-2013, 07:14 PM
We have not. I do worry, but my kids are thus far not cavity prone, and as a result I have decided to wait and see for now. Not fond of the extra BPA , although I know sealants are officially safe. My kids do have a family hisotry of insulin resistance, which is affected by BPA. THey don't currently have issues with cavities (DS1 did have one as a toddler, but that wouldn't have been sealed anyway).

For me, issues like this are a bigger concern long term for my children and their particular genetic makeup (in addition to previous studies that have linked it to insulin resistance) :
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130109105714.htm
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Nephrology/GeneralNephrology/36799

If they were cavity prone, I'd be swayed in the other direction.

I considered going the BPA free sealant route, but DH has talked to several researchers who feel many of the the alternatives to BPA are actually worse so far from a hormone mimicking standpoint.

123LuckyMom
04-15-2013, 07:48 PM
My little (13 year old) cousins had it done. Their family history of cavities is terrible! I probably wouldn't do it for DS (he's 4.5 now), because I've never had a cavity (I'm 42), and my husband's only had 4, and they were all done at age 25 as a result of not having had any dental care until then. We both have really good teeth, so unless DS starts to look like he doesn't take after us, I just plan to have him get regular dental care.

Reader
04-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Yay, it's not just me that's skeptical. These are supposedly BPA-free, but when I asked what was in them, I was told not to worry, it's perfectly safe.:rolleye0014:

essnce629
04-15-2013, 10:04 PM
There was a great thread on here last year with the same question:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=430076

My kids are almost 4 and 9 1/2, have never had any cavities, and we chose not to do sealants for DS1. His dentist mentioned it, said it was totally optional and up to us (our insurance would cover it 100%), and said since DS1 made it to 9 years old without any cavities he probably wasn't at risk for future cavities.

At my last dentist appointment I found out that I had sealants as a kid and that they are now cracked and look grey underneath (but no decay). I had one cavity at age 19 and another one 5 (?) years ago before I got pregnant with DS2. I've heard way too many stories of cracked sealants and cavities underneath.

maestramommy
04-15-2013, 10:06 PM
We are getting a 2nd rec from our family dentist for DD1. Her six year molars are in and he said because it has very deep valleys and pits, the sealants make them more shallow so bacteria is less prone to get stuck there. DD (well all 3 of them) has a very small mouth so her teeth are quite crowded, and we have just gone back to an infant toothbrush so it's easier to get back there. Still, Dh and I are on the fence about the sealants. Our kids haven't gotten any cavities yet.

Reader
04-15-2013, 10:12 PM
We are getting a 2nd rec from our family dentist for DD1. Her six year molars are in and he said because it has very deep valleys and pits, the sealants make them more shallow so bacteria is less prone to get stuck there. DD (well all 3 of them) has a very small mouth so her teeth are quite crowded, and we have just gone back to an infant toothbrush so it's easier to get back there. Still, Dh and I are on the fence about the sealants. Our kids haven't gotten any cavities yet.

If it's any help, I'm 40 and have deep valleys and pits (supposedly) but no cavities there.

Thanks for the thread link, essnce429, I'll go check it out.

flashy09
04-15-2013, 10:13 PM
I had them done twice, once at 10 yrs old and once a few years ago. Seem to work great. But then again I had no idea about the BPA issue! Just reread your post - mine were not baby molars. Sounds silly to seal teeth that are going to fall out especially if no problems wit cavities?

speo
04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
It was recommended for my 7yo at his last appt to do at the next. I think they may get pushy. Like many of you though, none of us has ever had a cavity. So I don't see the need to go to the added expense of sealants and the possible x-factor of bpa under those circumstances. I definitely see the value if someone is cavity prone. We also go to the dentist regularly. And I am not sure I see a real problem if my boys get one cavity even.?

SnuggleBuggles
04-15-2013, 10:20 PM
I'd do it in a heartbeat for ds2. The poor kid has had 2-4 cavities at his last 2 check ups. I would love to help prevent that- on top of the brushing, flossing, rinsing, avoiding sticky foods, no sugary drinks...that we already do.

mommyoftwo
04-16-2013, 12:11 AM
I wish Linnea had them. Linnea has had 8 cavities already and we try to be careful with sweet sticky foods, juice, brushing etc. Amelia on the other hand had had no cavities and seems to take after DH who has never had one.