PDA

View Full Version : How long does the current stomach bug last-TMI?

Nooknookmom
04-15-2013, 07:37 PM
DD2 (5) had some diareah Friday and came some from school. Initally I thought it was her dairy issues rearing their head bc she had NO fever at all and the night before she ate a TON of ice cream.

All day Friday, no fever...Then about 7 we went to our local candy shop for a treat and she started to scream-I ran outside and she exorcist vomited 4 times. Cleaned up went home and Still no fever.

Friday night she was up all night throwing up, now we had a 104-105 fever. I piggybacked ibuprofen/Tylenol and she could hold it in about an hr - then it would be every 30 min. Then the diareah amped up...bad.

Saturday fever was same but I could get it it down....but it came back. Still throwing up & diareah.

The whole time she would drink pedialyte-if she sipped it we were ok. She has been peeing, so I don't think she's dehydrated. She hasn't had but a few bites of food though since sat noon.

Our dr's will not treat a stomach virus...but now I'm worried b she is still sick and we r on Monday. Her fever has lowered though and she just has the diareah and dry heaves.

She did have a cold last week and is still coughing.

I tried to gt her into doc today but no appts...so I can only take her 14 miles away to UC-she says she can't make it all the way there and REFUSES to go. Like shes screaming "im not going to the dr!!!" In fact she just went to sleep.

Is this normal? I know when DD1 had it - it was 2-3 days but DD2 hasn't been this sick even when she had pneumonia.

Any advice? Tia

SummerBaby
04-15-2013, 08:33 PM
My DD had something very similar the week after Easter. She only had two huge throw ups but had 104 fever for 48 hours. She also had 5 days of awful diarrhea with cramps that made her double over. I must have called the pediatrician 17 times and he kept assuring me that this was how the virus of the moment was presenting. Essentially it took DD a full week to recover. We know a bunch of other kids who had the same thing. This was by far the sickest I've ever seen my DD.

Indianamom2
04-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Hmmm..any chance she ate something that gave her food poisoning? I know there's some stuff that's been recalled from Farm Rich foods that has E Coli (I think). Could that be possible?

Otherwise, I do believe the current stomach virus is nasty, but I haven't heard of it lasting this long.

sweetsue98
04-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Both my dds and I have had the stomach bug. It all lasted about 4 days and of course I had the worst case of it. All you can do it ride it out and hope you don't get it in the process. Pedialyte or Gatorade. BRAT ( bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) diet. Good luck!

Nooknookmom
04-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Food poisoning crossed my mind...the only different food she had was lunch at school. I racked my brain...

Hmm..sounds pretty much like what all of your DC's had. It just worries me so much when the fever hits 104+!

Dd just woke from her self imposed nap and said "well I feel much better, I want dad". So just toss aside the worry wart mommy who is still has puke on her body somewhere!!!