PDA

View Full Version : Deer fencing around garden

MSWR0319
04-16-2013, 10:34 AM
We live on a "deer highway" as I like to call it. It's not abnormal for me to look out the window and see a deer at our swing set about 8 feet from the window. Last year was the second year of our garden and all of the rodents in the area thought it was a feeding ground!! The deer, turkey, ground hogs, etc all ruined my garden. Funny thing is, no one touched it the year before! Anyway, so we need a fence this year. What type of fencing do you have around your garden to keep out those pesky animals???

Jen841
04-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Ours is basic. It is in our back yard. It is a split rail that is about 3" high and a yard away from the garden. We have wire fencing behind it. Worked! It was suggested by the tree guy who knows our area well. I will try to add a picture2974. The door is recycled from another job he did.

Love my garden! Need to get started on it.

Note: we have deer in our yard daily. They don't jump into the garden. They did reach in year 1 with temp fencing...the yard away plus the height yielded a ton of tomatoes for us at year 2. We apparently have deer that like our tomatoes.

ABO Mama
04-16-2013, 11:33 AM
For deer, you need about an 8' fence. Our veggie garden is out of sight of the house, so ours is black plastic fencing, supported by tall posts.

I also love our drip irrigation on a timer!

buttercup
04-16-2013, 11:39 AM
A lot of deer pressure in my area as well. i bought a Benner fence this year, it is not up yet so I have no experience on how well it will work.

wendibird22
04-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Our neighbor next door feeds a herd of 12 deer daily (yes daily) so deer are in our yard constantly. We used 5ft green metal fencing stakes around the perimeter and used tall wire garden fencing for all but a doorway opening. There, we use cheap wooden lattice tipped on its side as a sliding door. That slides between 2 metal posts on either end to hold it into place. Then we just slide it aside to enter/exit. We set this up gosh, 5-6yr ago and it's in great shape, keeps deer out, and was cheap to do and because the posts and wire fencing are green it just blends into the landscape. Our neighbor even copied it for his yard.
This is what we used:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_92064-16418-090005_0__?productId=3160789&Ntt=green+post&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgreen%2Bpost&facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=157766-13113-419594&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3457518&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

georgiegirl
04-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Our neighborhood has lots of deer. We frequently see a herd of 9-12 in our yard. I've seen them jump over 3 foot split rail fences. I don't have a garden for this reason. My neighbors who do have 5-7 foot fences. The shorter ones have some sort of electric wires and flags on them. Some are chain link.

wendibird22
04-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Also wanted to add that Irish Spring soap deters deer. FIL has a garden but no fencing. He strings 1/4 bar pieces of soap along the perimeter and it keeps the deer away.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=deer+irish+spring+soap&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

marie
04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Our garden fence is 7' tall. DH drove fence posts into the ground. They weren't tall enough so he screwed on some additional pieces of wood to extend the height. The deer fencing got "sandwiched" in between the post and the extra wood. Then he made a gate (also 7' tall). Our garden is about 20' x 20' so it feels a bit like being in a cage. LOL

abh5e8
04-16-2013, 04:20 PM
we have tons of deer in our yard. we use a couple of kinds of fence. once is an8 ft plastic netting, it works well. the second is an electric fence, two strands about 30 inches apart. its the first year using this one, so we will see. (but its lots cheaper then the deer net). premire1 has great info on fencing. we ordered from them and have been very pleased.

123LuckyMom
04-16-2013, 06:21 PM
They jump right over our 5' fence. We used to be fine, because deer won't jump if they can't see where they're going to land, so if you have a tight double fence or brush type landscaping inside or behind the fence it will work. Otherwise, you have to go HIGH!

trales
04-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Irish Spring works pretty well. We use fencing and a big ole Newfoundland.