PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Schwan's food delivery?

ang79
04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
I did this awhile back when there was a freebie coupon that I think was posted here. A sales guy just called me to see if I wanted to become a customer again. I said not at this time, because from what I remember things weren't that great of a deal (though we did enjoy all the food we did get from them). Just wondering if anything has changed and if there are good deals to be had. Right now I do a lot of my grocery shopping at either Sam's Club or BJ's because their produce and meat are usually cheaper than my local grocery store and we've been happy w/ the quality. But, both of those memberships are running out soon, and I'm always looking for ways to save on our grocery bill.

indigo99
04-16-2013, 01:28 PM
When I looked into it, I didn't find it cheap enough either. There were a few things that I really liked from them, but I find less expensive alternatives at my grocery story.

ArizonaGirl
04-16-2013, 02:27 PM
We started when I was on bedrest with DD and have found a couple odd things that are a pretty good deal and are tasty so we have stuck with it

ang79
04-16-2013, 03:23 PM
We started when I was on bedrest with DD and have found a couple odd things that are a pretty good deal and are tasty so we have stuck with it

What items do you normally get? My step-mom always ordered their ice cream but honestly, it tasted the same as any other store bought to me. I do remember getting some yummy frozen/flavored fish the last time I ordered.

OKKiddo
04-16-2013, 04:21 PM
We've done it in the past to keep the deep freezer stocked with quick meals. Our favorites are the Goulash, Shepherds Pie, and Chicken Enchiladas and Rice.

ArizonaGirl
04-16-2013, 11:19 PM
What items do you normally get? My step-mom always ordered their ice cream but honestly, it tasted the same as any other store bought to me. I do remember getting some yummy frozen/flavored fish the last time I ordered.

Yesterday we got the cheese pizza with rising crust, I add my own veggies and the pepperoni one is too greasy, the boneless buffalo bites (DS loves these), and the mini pretzel bites stuffed with cheese (for DH).

We are kind of blah about the ice cream, but we did have a coupon for the ice cream bars once and they were yummy and a fairly good deal.

HTH

kjmollypup
04-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Their stuff is definitely hit or miss, but the hits are things I'd hate to not have around, so I'm sticking with them. I only do online orders though, and have delivery set up for every two weeks but only when I already have an order in. So, they don't bug me. I agree it's not cheap, but they do a rewards thing where you earn dollars back with each order and that saves a bit.

My DD is addicted to their French toast sticks, and the mini pancakes are pretty good. The potato wedges and garlic mashed potatoes are good sides. I especially like the chicken enchilada soup (at least I think that's what it's called....) with salads, one thing of soup serves two. I always add some shredded cheese or sour cream to the soup because otherwise its a little spicy for my taste. And, the peanut butter chocolate ice cream bars and chocolate chip ice cream cookes are pretty good too. Tuscan veggie soup is good but small. Single serving size.

k_null81
04-17-2013, 08:38 PM
We order from them and I really think the ice cream is really good, roasted baby red potatoes are good, the egg rolls, and the flat bread pizza is pretty good as well...I do agree that it's not cheap but we get a couple things every two weeks

OKKiddo
04-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Their stuff is definitely hit or miss, but the hits are things I'd hate to not have around, so I'm sticking with them. I only do online orders though, and have delivery set up for every two weeks but only when I already have an order in. So, they don't bug me. I agree it's not cheap, but they do a rewards thing where you earn dollars back with each order and that saves a bit.

My DD is addicted to their French toast sticks, and the mini pancakes are pretty good. The potato wedges and garlic mashed potatoes are good sides. I especially like the chicken enchilada soup (at least I think that's what it's called....) with salads, one thing of soup serves two. I always add some shredded cheese or sour cream to the soup because otherwise its a little spicy for my taste. And, the peanut butter chocolate ice cream bars and chocolate chip ice cream cookes are pretty good too. Tuscan veggie soup is good but small. Single serving size.

Ohhh! Their French Toast Sticks! I forgot about those! My kids love them! Off to make sure they don't contain any kind of food dye before I place an order. :)

pharmjenn
04-17-2013, 10:35 PM
We usually put an order in every 6weeks or so.
I don't think there is any cost savings to ordering from them, but some of the items are tasty.
I like the crabcakes and tortilla encrusted tilapia. I compared the crabcakes to the safeway brand and liked schwans much better. They hold together well and are very tasty.
I buy the chicken nuggets for DS5. I was told by the salesman that they use the same supplier as McD's. I haven't done a side by side comparison, but they are tasty. Again, not cheaper than buying at the store, but we don't go through a bag quick enough for the Costco sized bags.

kjmollypup
04-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Ohhh! Their French Toast Sticks! I forgot about those! My kids love them! Off to make sure they don't contain any kind of food dye before I place an order. :)

I would hate to see the day that we run out of these. I try to keep at least two extra bags on hand. DD eats them for at least two meals a day and has for months. She has literally less than ten food items she will eat for any meal. Ugh. DS, meanwhile, hasn't met a food he won't eat! Kids. :wink2:

Kestrel
04-18-2013, 10:37 PM
THey have a "jr size" bomb pop, eighteen per box for five bucks... we use them all year round, but they are a must have for summer here. Perfect kid size.