PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Swing Sets?

sarahsthreads
04-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Does anyone have one of these "buy the set & slide, purchase the timbers & assemble" kits? We're looking at the second smallest set, the Pine Bluff (http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100663839?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=swing+set&storeId=10051&N=25ecodZ5yc1v&R=100663839#specifications).

We have a tiny-ish space in our backyard and it's between this and a cheap-o metal one from TRU, but I'm assuming this will last longer and be sturdier - there's a reviewer who suggests some upgrades to the screws to make it even yet a bit more sturdy.

With a third kid on the way I feel like we'd get a lot of use out of it still - even though DD1 is 8 she still loves playgrounds, especially swings. So I'm thinking another 8-10 years minimum before we'd be done with it. And I know for sure I'd rather toss the kids out in the backyard this summer while I sit on the deck and sip iced tea with my feet up than drive us all to a playground with no shade. Probably next summer too, with a napping baby.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has any experience with really any of these kits? The HD reviews are all pretty positive, but I feel like my BBB friends are more trustworthy than random strangers on the internet. ;)

Thanks!
Sarah :)

mytwosons
04-21-2013, 02:17 AM
We built a swing-n-slide set about 8 years ago and it has held up well. No regrets.

Looking4deals
04-26-2013, 02:12 PM
I would look at reviews, but don't rely on them.

I am been looking at playsets for some time now. Not sure if I should get a simple metal one or an one made out of cedar or redwood. I spend a lot of time in my backyard garden too, so I don't want to get a swing set that out of place. Do the nice wooden swing sets look nice in backyards? Are they worth the money?

Indianamom2
04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
We built a Lowe's swingset last May and it still looks good as new. It was a bit more substantial than that one (I want to say it was a Swing N Slide, but I can't remember). It took us two LONG days of tedious, but not hard work and a few more half-hours here and there over a week). I don't have any complaints. I'm sure it's not as nice as the bigger better sets, but it's nicer than the metal ones, it serves the purpose, it wasn't super huge and it looks cute, and best of all....it fit the budget!