PDA

View Full Version : Firming up arms. Favorite exercises?

Ceepa
04-16-2013, 06:36 PM
We've hit short-sleeve weather and I'd like to tone my arms. I have softer triceps than I'd like and want to have more shoulder definition.

Any exercises you like that are effective?

smilequeen
04-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Pushups for sure
Planks
Tricep kickbacks
Tricep extension
Bench dips
Bicep curls
Lateral shoulder raises

Those are all things that are worked into my workouts that target arms. Of course, you need cardio to burn any fat so the muscle definition is more obvious :)

I do a lot of Jillian Michaels workouts...strength and cardio combined...quick but hard.

bostonsmama
04-16-2013, 07:11 PM
chatarunga, plank and halfway plank, triceps pushups--all pretty much the same! This is what did it for me and I have some smokin' hot guns this year. I will say that unless you have very little body fat, your arms will actually look larger when you're strong like that...until you flex. ;) My pilates instructor teaches a great move she calls superhero arms where you're standing up with your arms behind you, palms facing down. Raise your arms as high as possible (as close to parallel w/ your shoulders) and try to bring your pinkies together on a 1-count for about 30 seconds. It's way harder than you think! Stretch afterwards! I also try to do 15 wide-armed pushups a day.

Sometimes I flex a little just so I look like I've done all the work that I have.

Ceepa
04-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Smilequeen, Yes, I need to develop a larger routine to include arm exercises but your list offers nice variety, which helps me from getting bored.

Bostonsmama, your arms sound awesome! I tried the superhero move and, wow can I feel that, especially after pulling bushes out of my front yard yesterday.