PDA

View Full Version : Taking a deep breath

crayonblue
04-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Today I faxed in DD1's private school application. Please tell me that it's OK.

I always said I would never ever send my kids to a hoity-toity private school with all white and asian rich kids. I always said that I truly believe in the public school system. The diversity, that every kid deserves an education, a chance, etc. I always looked at the outrageous tuition prices and thought of all the ways we could use that money in better ways.

But...here we are hoping that DD1 will get a spot (enrollment started back in Oct. so we are very late to the game). She needs something more than what the local public schools offer. More challenge. And I am coming to terms with that.

Kids sure do have a way of changing us.

ETA: I am super grateful that we have this option and that it is doable for our family. I'm just really wrestling with my thoughts and feelings today.

Indianamom2
04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Ah, parenting makes us all liars! Who among here has said "I'll never...." only to have to eat those words?

Good luck getting in!:wink2:

crl
04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
I am big believer in public schools. But I would put my kid in private in a New York minute if that's what was best for him (and we could afford it) Good luck!

Catherine

StantonHyde
04-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Been there, done that! Ate a lot of crow. Turned out to be the best fit for my kid, so that what was all she wrote.....

KpbS
04-16-2013, 09:36 PM
It will be alright! Best of luck with the admissions process. There is a huge gambit of private schools and not all of them are hoity toity! Promise!! I had a great experience at a public high school but things are not what they used to be and we LOVE our small parochial school. I encourage you to keep your options open (go on tours, interview principals, families, etc. b/c privates have a giant range of opportunities and missions (you probably already have but I thought it merited saying).

Hugs! :hug:

AnnieW625
04-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Good luck! Add me to the list of those who thought their kids would public educated as well. DD1 is doing great at Catholic school and I am very glad we chose that option for her (and will for DD2 also). We still might do public school if we move out of state and we still might do public high school, but it is nice to know that we are happy with our decision to do Catholic K-8.

Oh and Dd1's school is pretty diverse compared to some of the best schools in our district. DD's best friend is Sri Lankan.

crayonblue
04-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys. I know it will be alright. And DD1 will most likely love this school. It will be all worth it if she does.

One thing SoCal isn't lacking is private schools, that is for sure. Or churches. Tons of both! This one is the only one I could find that 1) isn't $32K per year, 2) seems excellent academically, 3) has a good reputation, 4) has bus service (wow!), and 5) isn't too terrible far away.

We shall see!

Tondi G
04-17-2013, 02:24 AM
If I could afford it I would send my child to private school. Not that I think my boys are getting a terrible education in public school but I know what my experience was like growing up in a private school. It is different.

I hope she gets in and that everyone loves it! If it's not all it's cracked up to be, you can always go back to the public school!

jgenie
04-17-2013, 04:37 AM
Good luck with the admissions process. :hug: We made the same choice for DS1. We chose our area for the diversity but when push came to shove we realized DS1 needs the private school setting at least for now.

mom3boys
04-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Good luck!!

And don't beat yourself up about it. DS1 and 2 were in public school in an urban, low income area. I really tried to be OK with it (while also applying to every possible charter school with a decent reputation), and to be the "cool parents" raising our kids in the city, and I do believe in public education, but the education and opportunities were just lacking there, and some of the teaching was questionable. We realized we were going to need to pay for private school (for 3 kids) or move. So while I did not apply to the private school where the rich white and Asian kids go, I moved to the suburb where the rich white and Asian people live. I gave up coolness and easy access to NYC for the kids. But in 4 months I have easily seen the difference in my son's school, and he's only in first grade.

janine
04-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Things could be worse :).

I am a product of private schools and am trying to reassure myself that public will be ok for my somewhat sheltered kids.

Your kids are lucky to have the opportunity and just like we shouldn't judge public, we shouldn't judge private--things have changed alot in terms of demographics even at the top prep schools.

Good luck!

Globetrotter
04-17-2013, 11:43 AM
I had a lot of very strong feelings on public vs. private, but then my kids joined public and we were faced with terrible budget cuts and union rules that I strongly opposed. My kids suffered for it so we pulled them out, strongly considered private but found another public that we preferred. I like the current school because it's more diverse socioeconomically and ethnically.

You never know until you're there and your kid is the one who is negatively affected.

Jen841
04-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Guilty here too. I was a public school kid and have my kids at a catholic private school. I bought here b/c of the schools...and don't use them.

I also was never going to be 'that parent' wrapped up in your kids activities. Did I tell you my one son just got his black belt and the other scored a goal last week in his LAX game! I am a proud mom.

Applying to private school was stressful. What will we be like come college time?

Mopey
04-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Today I faxed in DD1's private school application. Please tell me that it's OK.

She needs something more than what the local public schools offer. More challenge. And I am coming to terms with that.

Kids sure do have a way of changing us.

ETA: I am super grateful that we have this option and that it is doable for our family. I'm just really wrestling with my thoughts and feelings today.

It's okay. Although the private school game is not at all what it was like when I was younger (it's much worse here now, soup to nuts) the education is what holds up and it is totally worth it. High school was harder than college (honor roll for four years and I had a blast). And I still really like being the effusive blonde whom everyone underestimates cuz you don't know about my expensive brain ;)

crayonblue
04-17-2013, 03:48 PM
It's okay. Although the private school game is not at all what it was like when I was younger (it's much worse here now, soup to nuts) the education is what holds up and it is totally worth it. High school was harder than college (honor roll for four years and I had a blast). And I still really like being the effusive blonde whom everyone underestimates cuz you don't know about my expensive brain ;)

Expensive brain, lol! DD1 has no idea how expensive her brain is about to get! :)

crayonblue
04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
I also was never going to be 'that parent' wrapped up in your kids activities. Did I tell you my one son just got his black belt and the other scored a goal last week in his LAX game! I am a proud mom.

Indeed. DD1 is in theater. I am becoming a theater mom. And I know just about nothing about theater! Lived in NYC for a summer and didn't go to one broadway show. Wishing I knew a whole lot more now!

niccig
04-17-2013, 11:24 PM
In my experience, make sure you can budget for the 8-10% yearly increase in tuition, and for any siblings. Several families have left DS's school because what was reasonable 4 years ago, is now becoming out of reach due to tuition increase or sibling was now in K. We're moving DS as we looked ahead to middle school and the price jumps even more then. We're hoping for a couple charter schools and may go back to private in MS or HS.

lmintzer
04-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Lana,

I would do the same thing as you if we were having issues with our public schools--and I am a big supporter of public education.

I have found myself in the roll of "soccer mom." I would be a much better "theater mom," lol--have some experience there. The sports thing is a little beyond me. That's being a mom--we support what our kids love!

almostamom
04-18-2013, 09:00 AM
I taught in the public schools for 15 years. It know so many phenomenal public school teachers who are extremely dedicated and work 60+ hours a week to meet their students' need. I never thought my child would go to a private school and yet that's where he has been since kindergarten. The smaller class size, school size, and nut-free policy was a better fit for him. Whatever works :)

MelissaTC
04-18-2013, 09:04 AM
We are doing the opposite - moving from a Catholic, private school to our well regarded but still part of our crazy county system public middle school. We haven't told any of the other parents a school (our school is a tight knit community). I am having some guilt over it but really, where he is now is not ok for him. We have given it from K-5 and he is miserable. But we have dodged budget cuts, state testing, overcrowding, etc... So I am nervous.

But really, the bottom line is as parents, we just want what is best for our children. You just have to do what you think is best. That's all you can do. At least that is what I keep telling myself!