PDA

View Full Version : Job Dilemma

lalasmama
04-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Job interview tomorrow. I just googled the directions, as I recently moved to a new area. It's 35 miles, and 46 minutes, approximately, away from my new home.... SO says "don't do it" because it's too long of a drive. I'm thinking "a job is better than no job." It's through a temp agency, to do a temp-to-hire.

Need impartial thoughts/opinions.... Should I go on the interview? Is it ethically wrong to accept the job if I'm going to keep looking elsewhere because of the drive?

sweetsue98
04-16-2013, 10:42 PM
I think it depends on how much the job pays and benefits. Would the temp agency find another job for you once this job expires? Might want to leave a good impression on the temp agency? Also, I would look into the salary vs gas.

Good luck tomorrow!

AngB
04-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Interview experience is almost always good, IMO.

DH has worked about 70 mi away and now about 35 mi away. It is worth it for his salary and he likes his job. He initially wouldn't consider the 70 mi away one, but he was unemployed and grudgingly interviewed for it, they made it worth his while and then some, and that job ended up leading to his closer and even better paying and better benefits job that he has now.

At least do the interview, you never know where it may lead.

AshleyAnn
04-16-2013, 11:15 PM
I'd go. I drive 45 minutes to the middle of no where for my job but I LOVE my commute. Its a good break to clear my mind before I get DD and start mommy duty. I almost didn't take my job because of the commute but its become my salvation for dealing with a stressful job and single mommyhood - I crank up the music think thru my day and breath a little, on the way I plan what needs to be done Ans how I'll use my time at work I'm much more productive on both sides after my me time in the. Ar. I'm also lucky to be compensated well enough to afford the gas and have a car that is in good condition. My work is also a bit flexible with arrival time, nobody really minds if I'm not there which is great because you can't predict what traffic will be like and I'm not great at mornings.

TxCat
04-16-2013, 11:18 PM
It's just an interview - might as well check it out, and maybe you'll love it. If not, at least you went in with an open mind. And I definitely do not think it's unethical to continue to look for something else if you are being hired on a temp basis at first.

mjs64
04-16-2013, 11:30 PM
I voted make a living on your looks--cause I love that option.

If its not a hardship to get to the interview, I'd interview. Wait for more info (like an offer) before deciding. Plus, interviewing can be a networking opportunity.

Liziz
04-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Definitely go on the interview. Use the drive to the interview to truly assess what the drive would be like on a regular basis. When I interview, I often ask people something along the lines of "how was the drive here today?" and ask them if they're going to be okay making that drive every day. If you're asked a question like that, I think it's ethically wrong to lie and say you're fine w/ the drive. But, if you don't get asked a question like that, I don't think it's ethically wrong to take the job if offered. I would also be thinking about how it would look on my resume....I'd be concerned to have a job on my resume where I only stayed for a couple months. In the end, I think you should go to the interview and get a feel for the job. If it's an amazing job and you think it'd be a great fit for you, then go for it and see how the drive works out. If you're not that impressed w/ the job (and are able to take a bit of time finding your next job), then let the temp agency you're working through know that the drive is too long for you, and keep looking. Good luck!

janine
04-17-2013, 08:46 AM
It depends how serious you are about job searching? If you do want a job yes go on the interview and if it's something you like go for it. 45 minutes is not bad at all to me.

Good luck

vonfirmath
04-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Definitely go on the interview. Use the drive to the interview to truly assess what the drive would be like on a regular basis. When I interview, I often ask people something along the lines of "how was the drive here today?" and ask them if they're going to be okay making that drive every day. If you're asked a question like that, I think it's ethically wrong to lie and say you're fine w/ the drive. But, if you don't get asked a question like that, I don't think it's ethically wrong to take the job if offered. I would also be thinking about how it would look on my resume....I'd be concerned to have a job on my resume where I only stayed for a couple months. In the end, I think you should go to the interview and get a feel for the job. If it's an amazing job and you think it'd be a great fit for you, then go for it and see how the drive works out. If you're not that impressed w/ the job (and are able to take a bit of time finding your next job), then let the temp agency you're working through know that the drive is too long for you, and keep looking. Good luck!

How serious are you at looking for a job? Can you afford to be unemployed for a while waiting for a job that is closer? How much problem will the drive be?

I'd at least drive out to the interview and access how its going to work out.

I lived in Bellevue (WA) and worked in Everett for a year and a half or so. That was the time when I learned to listen to audio books on my drive but it wasn't nearly so horrible a commute as I was afraid it would be -- and it kept me from getting laid off for that year and a half. (I worked for Boeing on 9-11)

AnnieW625
04-17-2013, 09:52 AM
A job is a job, go on the interview. Break a leg. I am in the car for a minimum of 30-45 minutes each way, but it is only 25 or so miles.

emily_gracesmama
04-17-2013, 11:21 AM
I do a 45 min each way 2x week now back when I was full time I did it daily for 6 years. I too love the drive to clear my head listen to MY music. I'm lucky to be able to commute when there is less traffic by going in extra early. I think most people probably commute a minimum of 30 mins a day anyhow.

lizzywednesday
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
It's just an interview - might as well check it out, and maybe you'll love it. If not, at least you went in with an open mind. And I definitely do not think it's unethical to continue to look for something else if you are being hired on a temp basis at first.

:yeahthat:

If it's a temp position, it may or may not be temp-to-hire, but at least you'll have interview experience and a continued good relationship with the temp agency.

My perspective is skewed, though, as my commute is around 100 miles round-trip (though I only drive it twice per week; it takes about 1.25 hours with traffic) so 35 miles each way is really nothing in my mind. (I would kill for a 70 mile r/t commute, frankly.)

ladysoapmaker
04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
I would go to the interview.

I personally do a 40 mile (80 mile round-trip) each day. I like it as I can decompress from my day at work. When I get home I belong to my family and my head is not still at work.

Jen

zag95
04-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Lalasmama-
How did the interview go? I didn't know that you had moved-

I dunno about the commute- you know the traffic around here can be a bit tempermental...... weigh the cost of gas, time, miles along with the benefits of the position,etc.

Keep us updated.....

lalasmama
04-18-2013, 01:27 AM
Lalasmama-
How did the interview go? I didn't know that you had moved-

I dunno about the commute- you know the traffic around here can be a bit tempermental...... weigh the cost of gas, time, miles along with the benefits of the position,etc.

Keep us updated.....

Moved from Portland down to the greater Salem area last week. House is double the size with half the number of neighbors, and daycare, oh my, they have a special grant through the YMCA... $20/mo in daycare costs swung the vote heavily to move! Lol!

The interview went well. The drive didn't seem as long as I thought it would. The people were very nice. I'm not 100% sold on the job, but glad I went so I won't have any "what ifs."