PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Fire Pit or advice on one?

indigo99
04-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I think it would be fun to be able to make little fires in our yard, but I don't know anything about fire pits. Anyone have one or know about them?

Do they have drains in case they get water in them? Even with a cover, I'm sure it won't get covered every time since you have to let it cool first.

It seems like the all metal ones may be more dangerous (HOT) than those with other materials on the outside. Anything rust more than something else? Any other advice on what to look for or is this just a bad idea in general?

Mommy_Mea
04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
One thing to check is if your town allows open burning without a permit. We thought about installing a fire put, but was advised by a neighbor that or totem doesn't allow it without a permit (which means you would need to get a permit everyone you wanted to have a fire). Many people in town do it any ways, but that was enough to scare off my "by the book" DH :-)

I think there is often concern with air quality from wood fires. I know in the southwest, it is a big concern.

indigo99
04-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Hmm. I'll look that up. I know that a neighbor has one that we used at a block party. I also saw a new house nearby that has one built in on the patio, but maybe that doesn't count?

indigo99
04-17-2013, 10:33 AM
EXCEPTIONS TO PROHIBITION - WITHOUT PERMIT
Open burning, as listed below, may be conducted without permits subject to specified limitations...

Fire used for cooking food, ceremonial or recreational purposes, including barbecues and outdoor fireplaces.

Looks OK.

KLD313
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
I think there is often concern with air quality from wood fires. I know in the southwest, it is a big concern.

My neighbors have one. I hate when they use it because everything smells like smoke. Inside my house, too. I don't even let my dogs out.

AnnieW625
04-17-2013, 12:36 PM
I am thinking of getting one for DH for fathers day so I am interested in responses as well.

infomama
04-17-2013, 12:42 PM
we have the wildlife fire pit from LLBean. Really nice and we enjoy it.

khm
04-17-2013, 01:20 PM
We had one made out of retaining wall blocks at our last house. Google "retaining wall fire pit" for images, probably pinterest too.

I believe a circle needed 13 or so? Ours was three levels high at the back and two in the front. The landscape store had special metal inserts with a movable grate. It was awesome. And, movable if your backyard need to change. No lid / drainage to worry about, it's just earth. We also have a bowl from a different house, but I don't like it as much (mainly because of the water / drainage issue).

We have a one level one in a temp location at this house. Our backyard is a work in progress, but when we get things finalized, one like our last house.

marymoo86
04-17-2013, 02:24 PM
We are building one in the back using fire brick not block. Can't wait to finish :)

egoldber
04-17-2013, 02:32 PM
We are going to get one for our new patio. We are debating a fire pit (like the LLBean one) or a stone kit.

boogiemom
04-17-2013, 09:36 PM
We have a stone fire pit and love it. I think the circle is composed of stone while the center/pit is a sand layer covered by pebbles or stones with the wood laid on top. This helps with water drainage. Ours is large and we never cover it. My husband and my boys will spend hours out there on nice evenings and every time we have male guests, they station themselves out there for the evening. :-) Huge hit.

boogiemom
04-17-2013, 09:37 PM
P.S. Under the sand is earth. It's not a portable fire pit. :-)

indigo99
04-17-2013, 10:18 PM
My neighbors have one. I hate when they use it because everything smells like smoke. Inside my house, too. I don't even let my dogs out.

Wouldn't it be similar to a wood burning fireplace or stove? It's kind of strange that people don't smell fires often any more when they used to be so common.

I doubt that ours would get used a whole lot so I'm not sure about building one, but I'm looking for more ways for our family to spend time outside together.

So with the all metal pits like the one from LLBean, the whole thing gets super hot, right? That seems more dangerous to me with small children.

lil_acorn
04-18-2013, 08:54 AM
this is the one I just ordered froma amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Landmann-28925-Ball-Outdoor-Fireplace/dp/B0017K462K/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1366289598&sr=1-3&keywords=landman+fire+pit