PDA

View Full Version : Question for the cake decorators (or anyone who might know the answer)

WitMom
04-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Do any of you know how to use ribbon to decorate a cake? If you look at any pictures of wedding cake etc, a common theme/element is ribbon around the base of the cake. I asked the bakery to do this for DD's First Communion cake, and they weren't too thrilled about it. They said the ribbon soaks up the oil from the frosting and gets oil spots etc, and looks terrible. I guess that makes sense, but this is pictured all. the. time. on cakes. How's it done/what's the secret?

twowhat?
04-17-2013, 11:09 AM
You can probably only put ribbon around fondant (which is popular for wedding cakes because of that smooth satiny look).

pomegranate
04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
I've put ribbon around the base of a buttercream cake. I cut out a same size piece of wax or parchment paper and out that behind the ribbon.

sarahsthreads
04-17-2013, 11:22 AM
I've only ever done it around the base of a fondant-decorated cake, but parchment paper behind the ribbon would probably work for a buttercream cake.

Sarah :)

Mopey
04-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Exactly what all the PP said. I have never personally done it over buttercream, just fondant. I'm surprised that a baker wouldn't be able to try to figure it out with the wax or parchment (though no lie, it might be a pain)......

twowhat?
04-17-2013, 11:31 AM
I just thought of something - could the baker improvise by soaking the ribbon of choice in oil first? Then blotting it dry. That way the ribbon won't soak up additional oil and the color won't change further since it's already been saturated with oil.

WitMom
04-17-2013, 12:10 PM
You are all so smart....I knew someone on here would have an answer.

For the parchment/wax option...would you need to attach the ribbon to the parchment somehow, to hold it all together? Or just sort of "set it in place"? (I have a sneaky suspicion the bakery isn't going to want to do this, and I'm going to end up improvising at home, and I'm trying to figure out just how to go about it).

For the oil option...I'm going to go spray some ribbon with Pam right now and see what happens.