PDA

View Full Version : Using dates to replace sugar!

Globetrotter
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
wow, I am once again late to the party, but I just started using dates to flavor my cereal (weetabix or oatmeal) instead of brown sugar. Wow! One date does the job, and it adds a little fiber and flavor, too. I used to use raisins but it never did it, for me.
Now I am wondering where else I can use this! :boogie:

ccather
04-17-2013, 12:14 PM
They're also awesome in fruit and veggie smoothies, if you're into that. I can load up the veggies when I toss in dates they make it so sweet! I use them in the kids smoothies too to help the flavor and they don't notice. Dates are also a great source of potassium (more than a banana!) So they're really great post workouts.

minnie-zb
04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
They're also awesome in fruit and veggie smoothies, if you're into that. I can load up the veggies when I toss in dates they make it so sweet! I use them in the kids smoothies too to help the flavor and they don't notice. Dates are also a great source of potassium (more than a banana!) So they're really great post workouts.

I will have to give dates a try. I didn't know they have more potassium than a banana.

edurnemk
04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
I will have to give dates a try. I didn't know they have more potassium than a banana.

Me neither, wish I'd known when I was PG and getting leg cramps all the time!

baymom
04-17-2013, 12:53 PM

What a great idea!! I can't wait to try with for my kids! Globetrotter, do you just dice them up for oatmeal or do you make a paste out of the dates?

Globetrotter
04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
I just mash it in the bowl!

I bet they would be great in cookies.

marymoo86
04-17-2013, 02:22 PM
I've seen recipes for homemade larabars and even use in brownies.

I think Tessa the Domestic Diva (http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/?s=dates&submit=Go) has quite a few recipes incorporating dates.

wellyes
04-17-2013, 03:33 PM
I love dates, but have a problem stopping at just one.....

ang79
04-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Not to hijack, but my most recent fav. oatmeal topping is shredded coconut, craisins, and sliced almonds. Very filling and yummy! Will have to try out the dates too, thanks! Never thought about adding them to smoothies either.....

joules
04-17-2013, 10:30 PM
i have a recipe for no bake "cookies" that use dates. Basically just put dates in a food processor and add nuts and shape into cookie shape.

I also have a recipe for prunes in place of oil (or was it sugar) in banana bread.

And recently had chocolate cake with prunes and spelt flour..that was really good in a non sweet dessert kind of way.

KpbS
04-17-2013, 10:55 PM
My DS is allergic to gluten and a lot of the gluten substitutes in prepared GF foods (rice and oats) and one of his favorite cookies (store bought) uses dates as a main ingredient. I'd love to make them at home.

ang79
04-17-2013, 10:58 PM
i have a recipe for no bake "cookies" that use dates. Basically just put dates in a food processor and add nuts and shape into cookie shape.

I also have a recipe for prunes in place of oil (or was it sugar) in banana bread.

And recently had chocolate cake with prunes and spelt flour..that was really good in a non sweet dessert kind of way.

What ratio of nuts to dates do you use for the cookies? And what kind of nuts? I made coconut date nut balls w/ peanuts and cashews that were yummy, need to try pecans and/or almonds as well.

LizLemon
04-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I love medjool dates and marcona almonds as a snack. The buttery sweetness of the dates with salty almonds - so good!