PDA

View Full Version : 3yo losing/not gaining over 6 mos

YouAreTheFocus
04-17-2013, 12:10 PM
At my 3.5 yo's last checkup he was 32lbs. After that I weighed him at home a couple times and he got up to 35lbs. But then yesterday he was 31lbs. He hasn't been sick and he is a great eater. Is this a normal fluctuation?

ZeeBaby
04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Are you sure your scale is working correctly? Has your son been eating regularly?

janine
04-17-2013, 12:22 PM
My 4 yr old is a very slow gainer too(always has been) so for me this normal. She is a light eater (small portions) but eats fine. Curious what others will say....

YouAreTheFocus
04-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Are you sure your scale is working correctly? Has your son been eating regularly?

Yes, i was actually so surprised that I grabbed a bag of cat litter to check, and it was accurate. I was weighing him bc I thought he could be nearing the limit of some carseats we are looking at. Apparently not.

He is a really good eater, not picky at all. He has always gained steadily and has been in the 50%. This would put him in the 30s.

KLD313
04-17-2013, 01:32 PM
I noticed weight loss in DD when I took her off whole milk. Now I added it back in sometimes and she put the weight back on. No idea if this is helpful for you or not but that was my experience.

essnce629
04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
He was 31lbs at the doctor's yesterday or on your home scale?

Has he grown taller in the past 6 months?

DS2 is a very slower weight gainer as well. DBF and I were just joking that he's been 37.2 lbs for the past year. We weighed him yesterday and he was finally 37.4 lbs! He's grown almost 2 inches in the past year though so I haven't worried.

YouAreTheFocus
04-17-2013, 02:21 PM
He was 31lbs at the doctor's yesterday or on your home scale?

Has he grown taller in the past 6 months?

DS2 is a very slower weight gainer as well. DBF and I were just joking that he's been 37.2 lbs for the past year. We weighed him yesterday and he was finally 37.4 lbs! He's grown almost 2 inches in the past year though so I haven't worried.

In October he was 32 at the Drs office. Then I weighed him at home occasionally over the winter, he got up to 35 at one point. I hadn't weighed him in awhile, but I wanted to see how close to 40 he was. So I weighed him yesterday at home and got the 31. Then I weighed a 21 lb bag of litter and the scale said 20.8 so seems pretty accurate.

He has definitely grown in height, between 1-2 inches. He outgrew a carseat and has a lot of really short pants now. So there is some kind of growth happening!

indigo99
04-17-2013, 02:24 PM
How's your son's eating? DS is a really poor eater (eats much less than his little brother). I think he'd starve himself if we didn't force him to eat. He's finally tall enough to wear size 3T pants now, but they fall down on him if they aren't adjustable. *shrug*

YouAreTheFocus
04-17-2013, 05:44 PM
How's your son's eating? DS is a really poor eater (eats much less than his little brother). I think he'd starve himself if we didn't force him to eat. He's finally tall enough to wear size 3T pants now, but they fall down on him if they aren't adjustable. *shrug*

That's the thing--he is a great eater! He goes to all day preschool and has bfast, lunch, snack there. The teacher writes S, M, L for how much they eat and he always gets at least M+, sometimes L+! Now I am wondering where it all goes. He has a normal activity level I think, but he's not the kind of kid who's on the go every second.

When I look at him he doesn't seem the least bit thin, but we do have the same problem with pants--I gave up on buying anything that's not adjustable.

I think I'll re-weigh him next week and see if it's just a weird fluctuation. Seems like it's not enough to call the ped over.

ZeeBaby
04-17-2013, 09:30 PM
I would start to have the school send back whatever he doesn't eat. I find that the school's definition of eats everything is not the same as mine. I would call the drs office to see what they say and what they suggest.

newg
04-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Is he drinking any more/less than normal? Peeing any more than normal?

indigo99
04-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Well, I don't know how tall your son is, but DS just got up to 35lb and weighs less some days (birthdate below so you can compare). If he doesn't look too thin and is eating and acting well then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

YouAreTheFocus
04-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Is he drinking any more/less than normal? Peeing any more than normal?

Hmm, it doesn't seem so. We did have a pretty warm week and the kids (at school) were probably outside more/hotter/more active, but Idk if that could account for this?

I will have to ask his teachers what they think...

Well, I don't know how tall your son is, but DS just got up to 35lb and weighs less some days (birthdate below so you can compare). If he doesn't look too thin and is eating and acting well then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Thanks :) My DS is 9/09, so very close to yours! He's approx 39".

mjs64
04-17-2013, 11:50 PM
When's his next well visit? I would guess at 4 (so soon?) but could be wrong. Seems like a good thing to monitor till then; you'd have more data. I believe thats why growth measurements are staged like they are--at the well appts. But if he seems, looks, acts strangely, I'd definitely take him in before. Sounds like right now he's okay.