PDA

View Full Version : Would you go on "vacation" with only one of your kids?

fedoragirl
04-17-2013, 05:14 PM
I have two little ones, and my older one hasn't still gotten over her brother's birth. She is not jealous but sees me and her little bro' like a unit. She always runs to Daddy if he's in the house.
So, I thought it would be fun to go together for a long weekend and leave my 19 month old DS with DH. I am sure he can handle it but DS can be quite attached to me, at times. So, we both need our kids to get some balance. LOL
I was thinking of a flight and a quiet place where my 3 year old and I can just connect and do special things. Anyone done that? Is this too young an age to contemplate something like this?

SnuggleBuggles
04-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Yep! But, because of our age gap, that need didn't arise till ds1 was older. Ds1 was 8 when I took him to NYC for a long weekend. Ds2 was grumpy about it but it was a wonderful trip for ds1 and I. :) eta- I totally plan to take ds2 on a solo trip at that same age.

sste
04-17-2013, 05:21 PM
I would do it but honestly I am not sure a flight is necessary at his age (he is 3 right?) and may be stressful for both of you. I would probably save flights for ages 5 and up depending on how good of a traveler the kid is. How about a weekend road trip?

Also from his perspective, he might appreciate a greater number of "smaller" 1:1 things. When DD was born I started taking DS out to breakfast just a few blocks from my house once a month or so. We would call it dino breakfast and he would bring some figurines to spread on the table. He was thrilled! At that age, that is a big, huge deal.

If *you* want to fly/travel more extensively, go for it. But as someone who drags my kids all over the globe I have found to my chagrin that often it is the smaller and simpler things that they go crazy for!

kristenk
04-17-2013, 05:32 PM
It sounds like a great idea to me! I don't think I'd try to fly, though.

Even at 9yo DD would be happy driving some place a few hours away that we don't visit often and staying at a hotel. She has a thing for hotels!

StantonHyde
04-17-2013, 05:38 PM
I think you could just do a day out with the two of you. Or stay overnight in a hotel in your town if it has fun stuff to do. My kids love hotels--cable and a pool!

I also think the small 1:1 time is the best at that age. Maybe you could schedule weekly "dates".

BunnyBee
04-17-2013, 05:44 PM
I'd just do a big day out close to home absent a specific reason to travel. Flying alone with a three year old for just a day or so does not sound like fun to me though! Neither does trying to shower, etc. in a hotel room with an unsupervised toddler! :)

maestramommy
04-17-2013, 06:05 PM
When DD2 was not yet 4 I took her to SoCal to visit my family. Dh had taken DD1 to CA for a wedding several months prior, so we thought she should get a turn. And we felt like she needed some one-on-one time. It was a great trip. Her behavior had been pretty horrible leading up to it, but she was great on the trip.

smilequeen
04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
So far I've taken both of my older boys on a vacation the summer before they started K, just the 2 of us. I will do the same with my youngest. DH is going to take DS1 in the fall and will take each of them alone at around the same age.

Go for it :)

BabyBearsMom
04-17-2013, 06:18 PM
I do "big girls only" days with Dd1 several times per month. Sometimes she just runs errands with me and sometimes we do special things together like Disney on Ice. I don't think I would choose a weekend away from DD2 but I don't think there is anything wrong with it

Momit
04-17-2013, 06:57 PM
I agree with PPs that a girls' weekend with just you and your DD sounds fun but a flight may be more trouble than it's worth. Maybe somewhere you can go by train and explore, then spend the night at a hotel.

ckso
04-17-2013, 07:14 PM
I was just thinking I something similar where my friend and I was going to do a mommy and daughter weekend out (our daughters are buddies) but not sure if dh would like that idea

So I think it's a great idea but like pp say maybe nothing too far that involves flight.

fedoragirl
04-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the train idea and keeping it short. I was thinking of flying to London for a 3 day trip but that seems like a big splurge and too grand an undertaking for now.
I like the idea of an overnight stay at a hotel combined with a train ride. (I am in Europe).
I am anxious to leave DS behind and feel like I will miss him terribly but I really want to spend time with my DD too.

s7714
04-17-2013, 07:34 PM
No, but I have a friend who does it all the time. I'd be willing but it isn't really logistically easy to do for us at least.

I just remembered that I'm going on a mother-daughter camping trip with one DD in a few weeks for her troop. So I guess that counts! We'll see how DH fairs taking care of the other two DCs for more than 24 hours! :wink2:

geophne
04-17-2013, 07:59 PM
I took DD1 on a weekend trip last summer when she was almost 4 and DD2 was 8 months old. We flew and stayed, overnight in a hotel. We did a few fun activities, ordered room service for dinner, and had a great time. DD1 is well-traveled so it was not a big deal to fly with her. I did let her bring her own suitcase for the first time since we didn't have much luggage for a change and she loved that. She was even very good about wheeling it through the airport and on the subway.
Although she had a great time, I think I got just as much out of the trip and am so glad we did it. I really felt reconnected with DD1 after spending so much time with DD2 while nursing, etc. It also helped DH connect with DD2.
I hope you enjoy your trip!

candybomiller
04-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Two years ago DS1 and I took a two week trip while DH stayed home with DS2. We had a fabulous time. I probably wouldn't do something so elaborate again, but it was pretty awesome. We toured western Washington and while it was rainy, it was great.

hillview
04-20-2013, 01:35 PM
I've done it with DS1 when he was younger. It was fun.

ged
04-20-2013, 04:10 PM
I went with DD2 when she was about 2.5 years old, but that trip was for me, not her. My oldest had to stay back for school, so DH and DD1 were at home and DD2 and I flew to Barcelona for a few days. Like OP, we are in Germany. That being said, DD1 now really wants a trip with just the two of us, but my DD2 is not ready to be alone without me. She is super clingy.