PDA

View Full Version : what to do? in pain

Sweetum
04-17-2013, 06:48 PM
I was out and about with DS. We walked into an art gallery. they had a rope attached to the wall on one and to an 2foot ornate pillar on the other end. As I was talking to the gallery owner, DS pulled on the rope and the pillar, turns out not attached to the floor, fell bang on my foot. My foot wen numb. they had no ice even to offer me. I sat in a chair for sometime and then limped to the car and drove home. I am now putting some ice, and the ice is making it burn. I am not sure what to do from here? do I need to see a doctor? when? what do I do in the meantime? why is is burning with ice on it? sorry, I am panicking but I am in pain and also I am fretting that this could cause some damage to my foot. It was a heavy piece about 15 to 20 lbs and the edge landed on my foot, right above the gap where the big toe and the next toes meet. Am I over-thinking this? sorry, I am in tears now...not sure whey this had to happen ....

niccig
04-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Go to urgent care and get it checked.
Hope it's just bruised.

Mermanaid
04-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Calm down and breathe! Easier said than done, I know. If you are in that much pain you should go to the ER.

Is it swollen? Has a bruise started?

ourbabygirl
04-17-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm so sorry! What a horrible thing to have happen! :nodno: Not sure if you should go to the dr. or not (you probably could to be safe & get an x-ray), but do you have a towel or anything wrapped around the ice? Might want to have a layer or two between the ice & your foot so it won't be too shockingly cold.

Good luck!

MamaMolly
04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Oh ouch! I'm so sorry that happened. It sounds really painful! I agree if it is still bothering you then you may want to get it checked out. I think the first aid in a case like this is R.I.C.E.
Rest
Ice
Elevation
Compression

I hope you are on the mend soon!

sariana
04-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Feet can hurt a lot, even from something minor! I'm sorry that happened to you. PPs have given good advice. Hope it is nothing serious.

Sweetum
04-17-2013, 06:59 PM
no, no swelling right now. I am seeing the beginning of a bruise. I am able to wiggle my toes, but the big toe is an effort.
How long can I watch - not sure I'll be able to drag DS with me to urgent care. DH should be home soon....

Sweetum
04-17-2013, 07:03 PM
what sort of compression can I do?
I don't have a towel around the ice - it's not cold but it's burning with the ice on it :(

BunnyBee
04-17-2013, 07:13 PM
How long have you had the ice on it? Is it burning because it's too cold? You should have some sort of barrier between the ice and your skin. You can give yourself frostbite. Don't leave on for more than 20 minutes. Then off for 40-60 minutes, repeat. Ice can be helpful for a couple of days.

Elevate it. Take some ibuprofen or Aleve (anti-inflammatory).

If you can walk, I wouldn't rush to urgent care or the ER. Re-evaluate tomorrow morning.

KLD313
04-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I fell on my foot the other night, all my weight came down on it. It hurt, burned and was numb. I didn't do anything and now it barely hurts. I would see how you feel tmrw, especially because it's not swollen.

Sweetum
04-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Hi All,

Thank you for your kind words and advice - I guess with all the different things happening in my life right now, I don't need to have some kind of issues my own health, and it scared me to death if it was some major damage. I wasn't even sure how to tell this to the doctor since I didn't want insurance to come back and say well, we won't pay you need to file for damages or something like that. I know, I am running some extreme scenarios through my mind!

I took the ice off some time ago, and let it be, but kept it elevated mostly. I am also periodically testing it. still able to wiggle my toes, again, big toe is more painful. walking is painful too. I can see the bruise a bit more now. I would say that the pain is a little bit more localized now although I am feeling a small twinge run up my leg. I'll take a painkiller/anti-inflammatory shortly.

I'll re-evaluate once DH is here and depending on what he thinks, will go to urgent care either today or tomorrow morning. I think I would feel better geting an x-ray. thnak you, all, again.