PDA

View Full Version : Moluscum? Anyone treat it successfully?

Edensmum
04-17-2013, 07:36 PM
I have found all sorts of things on the web saying this or that works. The docs say wait it out. Anyone have experience?

Jacksmommy2b
04-17-2013, 07:39 PM
We waited it out. It was on J's face so.I was hesitant to try anything. It did take a few months to disappear, but ot never spread and there is no evidence it was ever there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

egoldber
04-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Younger DD had it a year or so ago. The ped said we could wait, but it could take months. He gave us a sample topical ointment to try "if we wanted". We waited awhile, but they were spreading and preschool was giving her a hard time about it, so we used the ointment. As soon as we used the ointment, they were gone in a few days.

http://www.amazon.com/PoxiDerm-Molluscum-1-2oz/dp/B009R5RJRG

RedSuedeShoes
04-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Our daughter had it (actually, it may have been both our daughter and son, I forget now!) several years ago. We tried ZymaDerm and thought it helped a ton. We didn't want to just ride it out because our neighbor girl had it before my kid(s) and she had a bunch of scarring from it. I tend to get keloid scars, so I wanted to reduce my kids' chances of that.

happy2bamom
04-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Ds had it.. We waited about a couple of months with no improvement. Finally used Zymaderm and it cleared up within a week or two. Warning: it looks nasty while it is being treated.

inmypjs
04-17-2013, 09:05 PM
My kids had it a year or two ago. We waited for awhile then went to the dermatologist. I actually can't remember what they used - but it was a topical liquid that they dabbed right each spot. The kids had 5 or so treatments and they went away faster after that. They are a pain. I did not find it to be terribly contagious among our family. We did take extra care to wash hands, etc. but DH and I never got it.

oneplustwo
04-17-2013, 10:32 PM
DD had it two years ago. It was awful, spreading everywhere, even onto her eyelid, really big, painful ones . . . like I said, it was awful. Ped kept saying it would run its course, no treatment necessary, etc. Also said it could take 9 months or more . . . we were seeing him around the 9th month and it was only getting worse. It was interfering with her life, she couldn't sleep well, and she was getting secondary skin issues. I did the same research you did for quite a while and decided to go with Naturopathix Zymaderm. It worked! I had to go through at least two bottles but the difference was amazing. I kept applying it until the molloscum was completely gone. DD's two younger brothers also got it (from her, clearly) so I treated them as well ~ since I started treatment early, theirs never got too bad and cleared up more quickly. Two of my kids had no problem with the Zymaderm but one of my DSs had skin that got very dried out and itchy/rashy with it, so I had to be very careful to keep the drops on the molloscum bumps & not on surrounding skin, spread out the treatments (not twice a day as I was doing for the other kids), and slather on Aquaphor to protect the skin.

Here's the product on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Naturopathix-Zymaderm-for-Molluscum-Contagiosum/dp/B002N2XUBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366251802&sr=8-1&keywords=molluscum+treatment

crayonblue
04-17-2013, 11:14 PM
My girls both have it right now. Started with DD1 and spread to DD3. Dermatologist prescribed Ziana which did nothing, didn't even irritate their skin. Now, we are trying Retin-A and I'm not seeing any reaction either. Next up for DD1 is to have them removed. She has one very large bump and another good sized one and then small ones. DD3 just has maybe 6 or 7 tiny bumps on her tummy.

Lovely. I will say that as soon as DD1 was diagnosed, I hopped on here and searched and of course you ladies knew all about it!

AngelaS
04-17-2013, 11:26 PM
One of mine had it. My ped recommended keeping the rest of her skin well lotioned and healthy so it wouldn't spread. I started slathering her in lotion at least twice a day and within a couple weeks it was all gone.

AshleyAnn
04-18-2013, 07:23 AM
I had a spot on my inner leg my doctor thought was probably a molescum. He dapped an acid on the spot and it did disappear as did the flesh around it. It burned when he treated it and took forever to heal and now I have an ugly scar so I don't know if I'd do it on a kid but it did fully treat the spot.

MelissaTC
04-18-2013, 07:40 AM
M had it and the doctor out the "beetle juice" topical on them in the office. It helped but there were a few more that popped up after in a different area. It took about 6 months for him to be free of them.

StantonHyde
04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
we waited it out with both kids. Took 6 mos to a year. They had them on their legs and torso, not on the face etc. We put bandaids on the ones that looked like they might pop soon in order to contain the white,contagious heads. We put fresh pjs on them every night and washed bath towels after using (no reusing the next day). It went away eventually.