PDA

View Full Version : What would you get/did you get for baby #2?

TxCat
04-17-2013, 11:09 PM
There are a few things I didn't buy the first time around, that I regretted. Number one is a nursing pillow - I'm still deciding between Boppy vs. My Brest Friend, but I'm pretty sure I'll get one of them this time. I'm also thinking the FP Rock-N-Play Sleeper would be handy to have around, especially since it's easily portable (we're in a 2-story) and since we don't have a swing.

Any other suggestions for newer baby products (ie, last two years), or your can't live without favorite baby products?

georgiegirl
04-17-2013, 11:17 PM
I just purchased a rock n play and a Luna lullaby nursing pillow. My sister said its much better than the boppy (I always had to put a pillow under the boppy to get the baby high enough.)

I'm actually trying to be minimalistic this time around, in part because I got rid of everything except a pack and play.

mikala
04-17-2013, 11:21 PM
I didn't buy much for my second. I got the rock n play, a few new carriers and a stroller. I wore ds2 constantly as a newborn and I've continued several months later. I started in a moby and then used a Beco Gemini.

Fwiw I actually used my nursing pillow less with #2 because I nursed in so many odd places. He ate on my lap while I built magnetile creations with ds1, in the carrier at Target...

mjs64
04-17-2013, 11:26 PM
I just purchased a rock n play and a Luna lullaby nursing pillow. My sister said its much better than the boppy (I always had to put a pillow under the boppy to get the baby high enough.)

I'm actually trying to be minimalistic this time around, in part because I got rid of everything except a pack and play.

Another vote for the Luna Lullaby! Great for maternity too. Love.

rin
04-18-2013, 12:03 AM
We also barely got anything for DD2 (second girl, born about the same season, only 2 years later . . . )

We got her some Aden & Anais swaddling blankets (honestly, they were ok but not amazing) and some Woombie swaddlers (those were amazing!).

We got her a Nosefrida (way better than the suction bulb booger sucker things).

I can't think of anything else, really!

acmom
04-18-2013, 12:09 AM
Rock and play, beco Gemini, woombie, and a double stroller were bought for baby# 2 (plus clothes bc they were different genders).

edurnemk
04-18-2013, 12:11 AM
For DD I got:

Becco Gemini carrier
Baby K'tan carrier
Bugaboo Bee+ stroller
New infant car seat (our Graco was about to expire and it was too heavy for me): Cybex Aton
Girly Bedding set
Aden & Anais swaddling blankets
Nosefrida (can I just say: wow!)
Born Free glass bottles (I'm not entirely convinced of the safety of BPA alternatives)
Tots Bots cloth diapers (both the Tini fit for the nb stage and Easy fit for later - I'm head over heels in love with these diapers).
And of course lots of girly clothes, since I had only boy stuff.

I think that's it. We never got a RNP or a nap nanny, DD has been an easy baby so I didn't miss it.

ETA: I also got a new diaper bag, just because, and we got the toddler board for both strollers (Bee and Vista) since they're 4 years apart so no need for double strollers. I saved all, and I mean all, of DS's baby gear, clothes, etc.

AnnieW625
04-18-2013, 12:40 AM
As a newborn:
a new swing (brought off CL)
Bob Duallie
Graco Safe Seat (bought for $10 from a friend)
Dr. Browns bottles (great bottles, helped with reflux, but made her suck long while BFing (and made it painful) so they got handed off to other babies who could use them)
JuJuBe diaper bag
diaper service
Bummis diaper covers (sent to me by a helpful BBBer)
Thirsties diaper covers
Nursing cover (another gift from a BBBer)
Maclaren Techno XLR stroller
rocking glider chair

as an infant:
Nap Nanny (a life saver! I wish I would have gotten it sooner!)
Sophie the Giraffe (DD2 loved this)

as an older infant:
Playtex Drop Ins bottles (another wish I would have gotten sooner; miracle bottles for reflux babies!)
A&A blankets
lots of Bum Genius 3.0 sized diapers (all bought used off of diaper swappers)
a Tots Bot diaper (love these, it was my one splurge, I wish I had more!)
Flip Diaper Covers and organic inserts
Nicki's Diapers Imagine organic prefolds
Britax BLVD
Britax Roundabout 55

citymama
04-18-2013, 01:07 AM
New things:
Pikkolo baby carrier - loved
Kangaroo Korner wrap
A&A blankets - didn't get what the hype was about
New crib sheets coz the old ones were ratty
Snap n go stroller frame bc I wished I'd gotten one the first time (bought used on CL and resold for the same amount)

Did not get pre-made swaddlers which a lot of people seem to like - stuck to old school flannel blankets. Used lots of hand me downs from DD1 but bought new layette too, just for fun!

Our bouncy seat wasn't a hit w either kid but the swing was. I used a MBF nursing pillow with DD1 which I loved, but didn't use it at all with DD2!

AustenFan
04-18-2013, 01:23 AM
We haven't accumulated that much more gear with each kid, but we did upgrade from a Bjorn with DS to an Ergo with DD1. I never used the Bjorn much but used the Ergo a lot. I find myself babywearing more and more each time, out of necessity, I guess! A friend is giving me a Pikkolo next week for DD3--I can't wait!

hopeful_mama
04-18-2013, 06:31 AM
DS is 7 weeks and I saved everything from DD & kept it all neutral when possible, so we really didn't get much extra, aside from some boy clothes of course. I got the Rock n Play and thought I would love it, but DH always swore he slept better flat than in that, and picking him up from that is a bad angle for my back, so it doesn't get any use anymore. I got a few little toys that he of course has had no interest in yet. I really think that's about it, other than nursery/storage-type stuff, but when he's around 3 months I plan to get a G-Luxe stroller - I have a big bulky reversible stroller that never got much use and I have lots of back trouble now so want something light (but where I won't kick the axle).

Oh, I had a bouncer that had been a gift and had always annoyed me for various personal reasons - I finally replaced that and am so glad I did, so if you have an item like that, it can really be worth it, there are no bad memories associated with this one and it's as cute (to me) as a kid's bouncer could be, which is also nice as I see it all the time.

scrooks
04-18-2013, 08:39 AM
For DS we got :
new crib bedding (a few things)
new clothing (boy stuff)
a new swing (from a garage sale)
2 double strollers (they were 2 years apart)

This time around I am coveting:
the rock n play napper
a good baby carrier (either pikkilo, beco or ergo)
a new single stroller

I will probably also get
new nipples for bottles
new tubing etc for my pump

and we just got gifted a new infant seat (ours expired)
I also bought some new swaddle sacks (I guess swaddling with blankets is out???)
I am really hoping clothing will be a minimum (DS was a Sept baby and this little guy will be July)

maestramommy
04-18-2013, 08:49 AM
We got a mini cosleeper (used) because we were in a2bdrm apt and could see sharing our room for months,, plus we wanted to be able to wheel dd2 from room to room.
A friend gave us her swing, which dd loved well past 1yo, lol.
Two things we got after dd was born, an ergo and a Mac Techno. Both really helped me get around more easily.

hellokitty
04-18-2013, 08:57 AM
IDK if you BF, but if you do, for #3, our friends lent me their arms reach co-sleeper. Oh, it was wonderful. I really wish I would have had one of these for starting from baby #1. With #2, you will be even more exhausted, esp with nighttime parenting. I think that the arms reach co-sleepers are one of those hidden treasures. The PNP and cradles that supposedly can be used as side cars, just don't do the job. We tried them with #1 and it didn't work out. Anyway, if you want to splurge, I'd the get the arms reach co-sleeper if you are planning to BF. You will get a lot more rest at night.

123LuckyMom
04-18-2013, 09:01 AM
We got a Bob Duallie (free from a friend who's a mom of older twins), a bunch of swaddlemes, girlie clothes and toys as gifts, mostly, a Haba wagon walker (awesome!!!), a hitchhiker for our Vista, a new breast pump, new razberrys (my very favorite teether)-- that's all I can think of. We were very well stocked for DS, and now we're passing on all our great stuff to a friend who's due in May.

What we're giving away:
Co sleeper mini
Euro tub (a lifesaver with DS but unused with DD)
Swing
Jumperoo (DD never took to it)
Ergo and ring sling (can't use a carrier anymore due to back problems)
Gymini play mat
Mobile

I think that's it.

lizzywednesday
04-18-2013, 09:04 AM
If we have a 2nd, I'm planning on getting a Luna Lullabye nursing pillow, a double-linen ring sling, a co-sleeper bassinet, new pump, and new crib everything (crib/mattress/mattress pad.)

And, in my dreams, we'll stock up on newborn sized cloth diapers. We had THE worst luck with 'sposies & DD's sensitive bum, so I'm skipping the whole "try and see" phase in favor of cloth.

psimpson3-5
04-18-2013, 09:08 AM
There are a few things I didn't buy the first time around, that I regretted. Number one is a nursing pillow - I'm still deciding between Boppy vs. My Brest Friend, but I'm pretty sure I'll get one of them this time. I'm also thinking the FP Rock-N-Play Sleeper would be handy to have around, especially since it's easily portable (we're in a 2-story) and since we don't have a swing.

Any other suggestions for newer baby products (ie, last two years), or your can't live without favorite baby products?

I got the Boppy at my shower. I ended up getting the My Brest Friend about 3 weeks after DS was born. It is SO much better.

mommylamb
04-18-2013, 09:13 AM
When DS2 came around we still had a lot of the gear from when DS1 was a baby. New items for us included:

a new stroller (MB Swift) and the matching carry cot
Rock and play sleeper
moby-- loved this for when he was a little peanut and before I could use the ergo (which I had for DS1)
all new bottles
an extra booster seat to keep in the car so it would be handy when we go to people's houses for meals
new breast pump accessories/replacement tubing
hitchhiker for DS1

With DS1, I used a boppy for nursing, but for some reason with DS2, it was just easier to do it without a nursing pillow. A friend lent me her My Breast Friend, so I had both of those nursing pillows and used neither.

AngB
04-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Funny how everyone is different. We never liked the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper, I sold it when DS1 was a baby. We have loved the Rock n play and A&A blankets with both boys. For us, DS1 was a late April bday so the blankets were nice for keeping the sun off him in the summer without making him hot, and now DS2 likes holding blankets and pulling them over his face- since you can breathe through the blankets I feel more comfortable with using these with him (neither boy liked the sleep sacks or swaddling). DS1 didn't care about the swing but DS2 loves it and NEEDS the swing.

For DS2 we have bought-
B-ready, LOVE it, but only if you need a stroller that can fit 2 kids. I prefer not to wear DS2 b/c DS1 is unpredictable and it's hard to carry a screaming/kicking toddler while wearing a baby.
Clothes, they are different seasons so very few of DS1 clothes fit DS2.
car seat toys, little stuff

mommylamb
04-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Funny how everyone is different. We never liked the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper, I sold it when DS1 was a baby.

We had a co-sleeper for DS1 also, and he hated it, so I sold it long ago. I think that had I kept it, DS2, who just had a different personality, would have really liked it. But he was fine with the rock and play sleeper as well.

It's so hard buying things in advance for babies because different things work with different kids, and sadly, you don't know until after you spend the money.

westwoodmom04
04-18-2013, 10:59 AM
I bought a my brest friend pillow before my daughter was born. However, afterwards, I was introduced to this pillow by my lactation consultant, and it is way better. http://www.pumpstation.com/pumpstation/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Luna+Lullaby+Bosom+Baby+Nursing+Pillow&pf_id=PAKFACDDIKEADFDB&dept_id=3030

I didn't buy a swing or exersaucer for dd (my first) but did for ds and we did use those a lot. My dd was a huge jumperoo kid, my son not so much. Otherwise, I just bought clothing for a different gender, by then I knew which brands I preferred so that helped.

TxCat
04-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Love seeing all of the different ideas and suggestions!

Had never heard of the Luna lullaby pillow - very glad to know about it now! And I totally forgot about pump parts - that reminded me how much I wanted a second set of parts for work, or so I didn't feel like I was constantly washing/disinfecting pump parts. Excellent reminder!

We do have an Arms-Reach cosleeper. DD didn't end up using it much, but I can't exactly remember why. Maybe I'll wait on the RNP sleeper and see if new baby likes the cosleeper more than DD did.

crl
04-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Well, ds came home as a toddler and dd came home as a newborn AND they are nearly seven years apart in age. So dd was my first newborn and I obviously hadn't saved much from ds anyway.

But I think what I really needed with dd BECAUSE she was my second was baby carriers. I needed her to be as portable as possible so I could keep up with older ds. So if you don't have good carriers already, I would invest in some. I loved my pikkolo and my Freehand Mei Tei.

Catherine