PDA

View Full Version : A car (basic, new car) warranty question

SnuggleBuggles
04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
I am at 33k and less than 3 years on my Mazda5 and last week my suspension started creaking really loudly after I drive the car for a while. Took it to the shop last week and they didn't hear it. Took it back 2 days later to drive them around and hear it. They heard it immediately, knew it was coming from the rear suspension and now need it to come in for a few hours so they can fix it. So, is this sort of thing normal wear and tear or will it be covered? Best guesses welcome. Sure seems to me like it is way too early in my car's life to have this problem. Tired changed as they should be and inflated properly, no off road driving or weird conditions... stupid car. eta- bought the car new and with the exception of 2 oil changes, all else has been done at the dealer.

AnnieW625
04-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Did you take it to the dealer or an independent shop? If you haven't been to the dealer I would take it there and I would think that suspension would be covered under the warranty. I know brakes and tires usually aren't covered.

Also I know this may not make the most sense for you but if you really hate the car I would look at selling it and getting something you are happy with now and not waiting until the car has died. If you sell it with less miles on it then you will get more money out of it, esp. if you still have a bit of warranty left. Good luck!

brittone2
04-18-2013, 02:52 PM
I would think it would be covered and I'd probably put up a stink if it wasn't.

SIL bought a car a few months ago and the transmission blew with like under 20K miles. That was obviously covered.

SnuggleBuggles
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Did you take it to the dealer or an independent shop? If you haven't been to the dealer I would take it there and I would think that suspension would be covered under the warranty. I know brakes and tires usually aren't covered.

Also I know this may not make the most sense for you but if you really hate the car I would look at selling it and getting something you are happy with now and not waiting until the car has died. If you sell it with less miles on it then you will get more money out of it, esp. if you still have a bit of warranty left. Good luck!

I know I don't love the car but I hate car payments even more. :) This one is paid off in June. We had to buy our second car in the fall after the other got totalled so 2 car payments right now. Totally unideal. I am willing to roll the dice on resale and just keep driving it. I don't hate it that much. :)

Like I said, 2 oil changes at independent places but all inspections and work at the dealer.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
I would think it would be covered and I'd probably put up a stink if it wasn't.

SIL bought a car a few months ago and the transmission blew with like under 20K miles. That was obviously covered.

Just making sure my indignation and anger would be righteous if it isn't covered. :)

Seitvonzu
04-18-2013, 03:26 PM
ugh. this makes me think i need to talk my 6 year old mazda5 in for "suspension" issues....it's almost to 60000 miles though. it has been creaking a while and i ignored it because i had lots of stuff in the trunk and dh said "it's just something rattling around"
*eyeroll*

annex
04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
When I was researching Mazda5's before we bought a used one in 2011, the creaking suspension issue was the top online complaint. I don't know if warranty will cover it, but we did test drive one 2010 that had horrible rear end squeaking and was around 30k in mileage.

SnuggleBuggles
04-18-2013, 06:49 PM
When I was researching Mazda5's before we bought a used one in 2011, the creaking suspension issue was the top online complaint. I don't know if warranty will cover it, but we did test drive one 2010 that had horrible rear end squeaking and was around 30k in mileage.

Fingers crossed that they can fix it! And for free. It's so so annoying.