PDA

View Full Version : ISO inspiration for 4 y.o. birthday party

RedSuedeShoes
04-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Well, I just sent an evite out for my youngest's party, which is now scheduled for next weekend! And then I promptly panicked, because I haven't done much else yet. For my older kids, I would have been planning this for a month already at least. I am extra nervous about this because I don't know any of the families yet, and none of them have been to our house before. (And frankly, most of them seem younger/hipper than we are. In my other circles of friends/acquaintances, I have always been the younger one). So I'm wondering how much of our house/yard we can whip into shape in the next week as well as what to do for party fun. It's been a while since I've done a 4 y.o. party. What are your favorite sources of inspiration? Any Pinterest boards you like for this? It's only 1.5 hours, so I think 1-2 games and maybe 1 easy craft will be enough. We talked about having a pinata (probably converted to the pull-string kind), and maybe we'll hide it so we can do a simple treasure hunt for it, and maybe the game where they whack balloons into laundry baskets.

Any suggestions of a fun, simple, not-too-messy craft? Would it be weird to have them make nametags or decorate necklaces with their names when they arrive? There aren't that many kids (we invited 6, and it's short notice so who knows how many can come), but my DH doesn't know any of their names.

ETA: Any tips on easy festive decorating for parties appreciated, too.

SnuggleBuggles
04-18-2013, 06:32 PM
I always find that if I can come up with a theme that I can better plan. Gives me a starting point.

logan's mom
04-18-2013, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't try to do too many structured activities. We went to a wonderfully planned art birthday party for one of my DS1's friends. The birthday girl and 1-2 other kids sat like they were suppose to and did all their activities. The others made it in for about 5 minutes.

How many kids did you invite? Will the party be indoors or outdoors? Are you opening gifts at the party? Having cake and ice cream? Most 3 to 4 year old parties that I have attended are 3 hours long-1.5 of activity/play and 1.5 for snacks/lunch, cake and ice cream and opening presents.

RedSuedeShoes
04-18-2013, 09:41 PM
I invited 6 kids, but since it's such short notice (just over a week), I'm thinking there's a good chance they can't all come. I'm hoping for 3-4.

I think you're right that we don't need a lot of structured activity, especially since it's just 1.5 hours. We will have cake and snacks, but no gifts. I am hoping for good weather so we can do some outdoor games/play, but this time of year you really never know so I'm trying to think of games that would work for indoors too. Which is tough because we don't have a big living room.

As far as a theme, I guess we've got a vague train theme since DS wants a train cake. The guests are half girls, half boys so I don't want to be too overtly (stereotypically) boy with activities or decor.

ahisma
04-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Classic party games are great at that age.

Pin the tail on the _____
Pass the parcel (each person unwraps to find a party favor, you just stop the music to make sure everyone gets a turn)
Hot potato
Simon says
egg (plastic!) and spoon relay
sack races
I buy those little plastic jumping frogs at novelty shops and have frog jumping contests.

More here: http://onecharmingparty.com/2011/09/15/classic-party-games/

mom2beofboy/girltwins
04-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Just had a 4yr old bday party for DD and DS. Rented a bounce house and bought silly string cans from the dollar store. They all *loved* the silly string. Also a bubble machine was a big hit. The dollar store also sells really nice helium mylar balloons for a buck each. I bought a bunch of those and tied them up all over the house. Combined with a Target "happy birthday" banner, it all looked very decorated and festive!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

bostonsmama
04-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm an over-planner. I take my cues from www.hostessblog.com (hostess with the mostess) and www.andersruff.com for all of their party printables and decorations (anders ruff has a free printable banner "celebrate") you can download for free and print (at home or a shop). There are so many free printable collections these days (as well as affordable etsy packages) that it's hard to want to buy any kind of decoration from a store.

Granted, you have a boy, but I always love to gussy things up with pompom picks and a couple of colorful tablecloths. My favorite trick is to find inexpensive but colorful wrapping paper (not with characters, but a continuous pattern like strippes, chevrons, polka dots, etc) and use it as my table runner over a nicer tablecloth I don't want to get dirty. When I'm done with the party, I roll up the wrapping paper and toss it and the mess in the trash! I've started doing this at Christmas and Thanksgiving, too...esp when you can get that nice foil-embossed paper from TJ Maxx.

I also never have a schedule of activities. I hate being told what I'm going to "do" next...mandatory participation...so I set up 1-2 stations (cookie decorating or a craft) and let the food and some unstructured play (swingset, park or bounce house you can rent).