PDA

View Full Version : Makeup/Concealer Help

Kungjo
04-18-2013, 06:50 PM
I usually wear mineral makeup, but with an oily complexion, I find that it doesn't stay on so well for me.

And as I'm getting older, I'm starting to wonder if I need the better coverage of a liquid foundation. I'm hesitant to spend a lot of money on it since I'm not sure what would work for me.

I did go to the drugstore and was able to find a Revlon Colorstay foundation that matches my skin tone fairly well. BUT, I'm wondering if the more expensive foundations are actually better. I see a lot of you ordering makeup from Sephora and Stila. Are the more expensive foundations worth it?

Also, need some help with concealer. I have under eye circles and the occasional blemish that needs to be covered up. More concerned about the under eye circles. Do I get something that is specifically for under eye circles or just a general concealer to cover under eye circles and blemishes? How do you decide what is the correct shade if the choices are fair, light, medium, etc? Do you pick one that matches your foundation or go a shade or two lighter than your foundation for the dark under eye circles?

Thanks,

crl
04-18-2013, 07:23 PM
The only question of those I can really answer is definitely do not go lighter than your skin tone for under eye circles.

Catherine

kjmollypup
04-18-2013, 07:53 PM
I have real problems with under eye circles. I use Clinique, which isn't cheap, but it does a pretty good job. Although I hate the attention, I've always found their sales reps at the department stores to be very knowledgeable. You can schedule a session with them for free and have some dedicated time where they will answer your questions, or you can walk right up and try stuff out too. Of course they always want you to buy, but I just buy what I felt worked for me at the session. I use their Almost Makeup, which is liquid but not quite a heavy foundation, and it works well with my oily skin. I need to go again soon because I am awful at putting on makeup and need some tips, lol.

larig
04-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Sephora will give you samples of different foundations! They have 15% off right now too.

mom2khj
04-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Make Up Forever HD foundation works really, really well on my oily skin. They have a nice concealer too.

twowhat?
04-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Make Up Forever HD foundation works really, really well on my oily skin. They have a nice concealer too.

:yeahthat: except I haven't tried their concealer. My skin is dry and tight after washing, but quickly gets very oily. At home I don't care, but when I go out I have to use a couple of oil blotting sheets during the day, esp if it's hot.

I just LOVE this foundation because of how natural it looks despite my needing heavier coverage (spider veins)! I apply it with a foundation brush, and I can still use my oil blotting sheets. I have moderate under-eye circles and I just build up more coverage there with my MUFE foundation. I also was a mineral makeup user (BM) and while I found that it stayed on OK (as long as I was VERY careful not to touch my face or wear clothing that brushes up on my chin), it really settled into my cracks/fine lines.

I've also read that the concealer should be the same color as your foundation, and not lighter.

psimpson3-5
04-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Also, need some help with concealer. I have under eye circles and the occasional blemish that needs to be covered up. More concerned about the under eye circles. Do I get something that is specifically for under eye circles or just a general concealer to cover under eye circles and blemishes? How do you decide what is the correct shade if the choices are fair, light, medium, etc? Do you pick one that matches your foundation or go a shade or two lighter than your foundation for the dark under eye circles?

Thanks,

I like Benefit cosmetics now. I used to wear Clinique exclusively. I really like Erase Paste (http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/product/view/erase-paste) and Boi-ing (http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/product/view/boi-ing) is also a good option. I prefer Erase Paste bc I use it for not only my dark circles (which are VERY dark) but other blemishes. I also recently purchased their foundation, Hello Flawless. I really like it!

egoldber
04-19-2013, 09:21 AM
I've been using this and it works beautifully: http://www.lauramercier.com/store/shop/Concealers_Secret%20Concealer_prod220006

And I also love their tinted moisturizer (really a very light foundation), but it is $$$: http://www.lauramercier.com/store/shop/Step%202:%20Apply%20Foundation_Tinted%20Moisturize r%20SPF%2020_prod210061

Both come in many shades.

Nooknookmom
04-19-2013, 12:23 PM
I usually wear mineral makeup, but with an oily complexion, I find that it doesn't stay on so well for me.

And as I'm getting older, I'm starting to wonder if I need the better coverage of a liquid foundation. I'm hesitant to spend a lot of money on it since I'm not sure what would work for me.

I did go to the drugstore and was able to find a Revlon Colorstay foundation that matches my skin tone fairly well. BUT, I'm wondering if the more expensive foundations are actually better. I see a lot of you ordering makeup from Sephora and Stila. Are the more expensive foundations worth it?

Thanks,

I can't wear drugstore foundation. Ever. I'm not being a makeup snob either, my skin breaks out terribly. Some of the DS brands are getting really expensive too!!

I have tried about all the DS brands and no dice. I also notice that the DS brands "sit" on top of my skin an look like a mask and the colors don't blend well-I cannot stand seeing a line by ones jawline.

I have very oily skin and when I wear foundation, I use Estee Lauder Double Wear Light. I actually havent bought any in a year, my skin cleared up last summer and I have only used it under my eyes and to conceal the occasional spot. I grab a sample from Nordstrom in 1 and 2 and blending them together as needed and it handles both the concealer and foundation.

They have a regular Double Wear that has more coverage too. Both are oil free.

I used to be a "powder" person too and Clinique's oil free was good as is Lancome's. Both last FOREVER.

I have used Lancome's mineral foundation in the past (bare minerals makes me itch) and I liked it - the only thing was that it magnified my pores unless I really really brushed it in.

Its sad bc I love makeup but as a contractor, I have no reason to put tons of $$ into makeup anymore, since I have nowhere to go, lol!

stinkyfeet
04-19-2013, 12:40 PM
I agree with the previous posters on trying Sephora samples to see what works for you. I have heard a lot of good things about MakeUp Forever HD foundation. You also might want to sample Tarte's Amazonian Clay line since the lay is good for oily skin.

I saw this on the rachael ray show regarding foudation/concealer/correctors. The makeup artist talks about correctors and how they fix undereye circles.

Acne video:
http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/foolproof-makeup-tips-concealing-adult-acne/

Corrector/Concealer Video:
http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/foolproof-makeup-tips-hiding-under-eye-circles/

HTH! :waving4:

zukeypur
04-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Well hello, twin!

I wore bare minerals for about 8 years, but I've been in ranch of a good liquid foundation for the past year or so because I notice that the bare minerals settles into my lines and is making me look older. That, and every single time that Bobbi Brown is on the Today show she begs people not to wear mineral makeup because it makes you look older.

I have tried Tarte Amazonian clay (can't match to a color), Tarte BB cream (can't match to a color), and the other liquid foundation from Tarte (sAme problem). I've also tried Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer(not enough coverage), LORAC (nice color, will be a backup), and amazing cosmetics (hello pimples).

Yesterday afternoon I went into Sephora to get matched with MUFE HD. She found a perfect match (115) and did my whole face with the foundation on top of Hourglass primer (AMAZING STUFF!!!!) I only had it on for 6 hours yesterday, but it didnt budge at all. She was even able to adequately cover both my very dark under eye circles as well as my pimples from the Amazing Cosmetics.

I have been using Yves deLaurent Touché éclat concealer for under eye circles along with the Tarte concealer for both under eye circles and blemishes. They are the best that I've tried in 20 years.

I'm about to put the makeup on myself for the first time today, so I'll report back here tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it worked throughout the day.

Kungjo
04-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Wow. Great suggestions. I will look into them and will also probably stop by Sephora to see what they have.

Zukeypur - Would love to hear your thoughts too on the makeup you bought.

Thanks everyone!

emily_gracesmama
04-21-2013, 08:54 PM
I love my Lancôme tiente idole foundation. It matches my skin color perfectly and wears well. I've tried drugstore and never can get a good match like this one. It's worth it. I've always been oily but as I get older I may need to get something a bit more moisturizing. Lancôme used to give u a ten day sample bottle they prob still do.

mommy111
04-21-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm wearing chanel vitamix aqua something or the other and the bobbi brown tinted moisturizing mousse on either half of my face today to figure which one I like better. So far both are winners

zukeypur
04-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Wow. Great suggestions. I will look into them and will also probably stop by Sephora to see what they have.

Zukeypur - Would love to hear your thoughts too on the makeup you bought.

Thanks everyone!

Ack, sorry!!! It's been so nice out this weekend that I've been working in the yard nonstop! I used the hourglass primer and MUFE HD in 115. InI absolute love. I haven't had to use concealer on my under eye circles at all, just a double layer of foundation. I have used just a touch of concealer on my blemishes, but honestly, just the foundation is fine. They are soooo bad right now that I was trying to conceal them into nonexistance, but it really didnt help. :(.

I'm about to order a makeup brush from amazon, but I've been applying with my fingers or my PUR minerals kabuki brush. Both work well.