PDA

View Full Version : How would you make this? (balcony /porch trellis)

ahisma
04-18-2013, 08:20 PM
I want to make this trellis for our front porch, but can't sort out what the vertical supports are made out of. The description mentions copper metal pipe and bamboo. I can see the bamboo, obviously, but the vertical curved portions don't look like copper pipe at all. Any ideas?

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-living-canopy-on-a-tiny-b-82059

chozen
04-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Is it PVC piping? Looks kindof like it.

Mermanaid
04-18-2013, 08:42 PM
DH and I think it looks like PVC too.

ahisma
04-18-2013, 08:53 PM
I wondered about PVC. I don't see the PVC elbows at the bends though, they are pretty thick compared to the pipe.

I'm not sure that it would be sturdy enough either...but maybe it would be?

logan's mom
04-18-2013, 08:57 PM
I want to make this trellis for our front porch, but can't sort out what the vertical supports are made out of. The description mentions copper metal pipe and bamboo. I can see the bamboo, obviously, but the vertical curved portions don't look like copper pipe at all. Any ideas?

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-living-canopy-on-a-tiny-b-82059

Where's the bamboo?

ahisma
04-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Where's the bamboo?

The horizontal crossbars.

logan's mom
04-18-2013, 09:13 PM
The horizontal crossbars.

Ha! Thanks. I thought maybe that was the copper pipe and the vertical pieces were bent bamboo. I can see that the horizontal bars aren't straight. I am not sure what the vertical bars are but if I were replicating it, DH would be at Home Depot buying some PVC ; ) Good luck!!

elliput
04-18-2013, 10:41 PM
I think the white vertical parts are copper. It would be easy to bend the pipe using a blow torch to heat the metal, then to cover any scorch marks it is painted. Also painting would deter copper thieves.

ahisma
04-18-2013, 11:04 PM
I think the white vertical parts are copper. It would be easy to bend the pipe using a blow torch to heat the metal, then to cover any scorch marks it is painted. Also painting would deter copper thieves.

Oh, goodness. Copper thieves. Good point. Especially in our area.

I'm tossing around the idea of bending it. In my mind, it seems outrageously difficult. Is it really doable?

elliput
04-18-2013, 11:53 PM
If you have the right tools- blow torch, bench vise, welders gloves, and a little bit of metal working experience, it would be a fairly simple job. However, I don't think it would be something to try for a first project. You may be able to find a handy-man or plumber who would be willing to do a little piece work for you. Or an artist who works in metals.

crl
04-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Hmm. We did a trellis out of rebar once. You can bend it to some extent without having to heat it. We left ours to rust on purpose, but you could spray it too. .

Catherine