PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Party WWYD...

Binkandabee
04-19-2013, 12:51 AM
DD was invited to a birthday party for a set of twins + another child. I'm not sure what or if there is a relation between them, but regardless they are obviously close in some manner to share a birthday party. Two of the kids are in DD's class, one of the twins is not, although DD knows her and plays with her on occasion during recess.

DD was insistent that we give each a gift, so that's what we did, but I am curious as to what the general consensus is here. It's awkward enough to know what to do with a joint twin party, but to add in another child...yikes! Thank goodness for Target clearance :)

123LuckyMom
04-19-2013, 01:50 AM
I think your DD was right. I would get a gift for each child whose birthday is being celebrated.

MMMommy
04-19-2013, 01:58 AM
I think a gift for each child is appropriate, since your DD knows all three of them (2 in her class and 1 she does know and play with occasionally).

LizLemon
04-19-2013, 02:54 AM
A gift for each child - what would be the alternative?

MamaMolly
04-19-2013, 07:22 AM
We've gone to twin parties and combined parties (but not both at the same time! ;)) and always do a present for each. When cost is a factor I usually make a superhero cape for the birthday child(ren). It usually costs less than $5-$10 per cape, sometimes I already have the materials on hand so it only costs time.

KrisM
04-19-2013, 07:27 AM
I'd get all the kids a gift. I can't imagine leaving out one birthday child because she wasn't in class. It might be different if your DD didn't know the 3rd child at all, but even then I'd do something.

Pennylane
04-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Get all three a gift.

Ann

Binkandabee
04-19-2013, 09:12 AM
The alternative would be to only get a gift for the two kids she knows very well and are truly her friends. Those are the two who actually invited her to the party, kwim? Had it just been a party for just the one twin, DD certainly would not have even been invited.

We got the two girls the exact same thing, so no feelings are going to be hurt. Even with Target clearance, I still spent $45.00. I suppose I'm just thinking that is a lot to ask of people who are attending the party. As I was checking out, the cashier at Target even commented, it's like Christmas! It really is a lot all at once.

Melaine
04-19-2013, 09:24 AM
I think you did the right thing by getting something for each child, but if money is an issue (which it certainly is for us) I would get smaller gifts. Coloring book and crayons or markers, bubbles and jump rope, My Little Pony, puzzle, etc. I admit I've never been to a triple birthday but I would definitely say three smaller gifts is far preferable to leaving out one child.

Mommy2Abby
04-19-2013, 09:37 AM
I think you did the right thing by getting something for each child, but if money is an issue (which it certainly is for us) I would get smaller gifts. Coloring book and crayons or markers, bubbles and jump rope, My Little Pony, puzzle, etc. I admit I've never been to a triple birthday but I would definitely say three smaller gifts is far preferable to leaving out one child.

:yeahthat:

LizLemon
04-19-2013, 06:13 PM
The alternative would be to only get a gift for the two kids she knows very well and are truly her friends. Those are the two who actually invited her to the party, kwim? Had it just been a party for just the one twin, DD certainly would not have even been invited.

We got the two girls the exact same thing, so no feelings are going to be hurt. Even with Target clearance, I still spent $45.00. I suppose I'm just thinking that is a lot to ask of people who are attending the party. As I was checking out, the cashier at Target even commented, it's like Christmas! It really is a lot all at once.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if enough people do it that way (buying gifts only for their "true friends"), the present pile becomes a sort of popularity contest and a reflection of the number of friends the child has relative to the other birthday girls. Just seems like it could turn hurtful. I agree with Melaine that buying 3 small gifts is better than leaving someone out.

TwinFoxes
04-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if enough people do it that way (buying gifts only for their "true friends"), the present pile becomes a sort of popularity contest and a reflection of the number of friends the child has relative to the other birthday girls. Just seems like it could turn hurtful. I agree with Melaine that buying 3 small gifts is better than leaving someone out.

:yeahthat:

crl
04-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Three is a lot of presents. That could add up. I agree though, one for each birthday child, and spend less per present if necessary to stay in budget.

Catherine