PDA

View Full Version : what "tools" are helping you lose weight?

knaidel
04-19-2013, 09:28 AM
other than healthy food, of course!

gadgets, specific DVDs worth investing in, fit bit, vitamix, etc...

bigpassport
04-19-2013, 09:39 AM
My Fitness Pal--The process of logging in everything I eat forces me to be conscious of everything I eat.

1 Liter Water Bottles--It's easier for me to drink lots of water if I have big water bottles. I usually drink 4-5 a day. I wouldn't drink as much water if I had to constantly fill a little glass or bottle.

Good Walking/Running Shoes--The only 'thing' I purchased when trying to lose weight was a decent pair of running shoes to make walking/jogging more comfortable.

ETA

Good tools for easy prepping and cooking your VEGGIES...veggies fill you up and are low cal, vitamin dense and fiber filled.
Good knives
Lightweight, easy to clean chopping mat
Salad spinner
Grilling basket like this http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6481-Stainless-Vegetable-Basket/dp/B0071V7WOS/ref=lp_3742141_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367071484&sr=1-2

Octobermommy
04-19-2013, 09:41 AM
I have fallen off the wagon but what helped me lose 17 pounds (in 10 weeks) was Jillian Michaels 30 day shred & the couch to 5k app.

Myfitnesspal helped also, the encouragement is awesome.

lmwbasye
04-19-2013, 09:48 AM
I've had a horrid time with this until the past few months. I'm using MFP, Jillian Michael's 90 day revolution and Couch to 5K all concurrently. Basically tracking my calories and working out 6 days a week for 60 - 75 minutes each day. And it's the first time this has felt doable. So far down 22 lbs as of today.

daisysmom
04-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Jillian's dvd's have been a great exercise program for me in my 40s. Doing weights and not just cardio are key. For me, more fat and protein and eliminating grains and sugar have also been the keys to my success. I love my fit bit too.

waitingforgrace
04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
For me it's my omega juicer. I'm able to consume more veggies by juicing and the energy from the juice is amazing.

okinawama
04-19-2013, 10:22 AM
My gym membership (that includes childcare) and three friends that meet me there 5 days a week and keep me accountable
Shakeology
Myfitnesspal
My BOB duallie for my long outdoor runs on the weekend.
The Les Mills body pump class ( fairly low weights with lots of reps) at my gym has truly changed my body and metabolism. This is the first time I've added weights into my workout, and the change has been amazing!
I completed c2 5K as well as the bridge to 10K, and both programs were awesome and met me at square one.

rachelh
04-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I have fallen off the wagon but what helped me lose 17 pounds (in 10 weeks) was Jillian Michaels 30 day shred & the couch to 5k app.

:yeahthat:
I got the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred from recommendations on these boards. It gives you an awesome workout in less than 30 minutes! I really need to get back into it - it is collecting dust somewhere.

I also trained with a couch to 5k program. When I started I was barely able to run a city block. This past March I actually completed my first half marathon! I don't know that the running actually helped me lose weight but it felt great to get out in the morning and run.

I find a huge factor for me is what I eat. I don't eat poorly but if I don't avoid carbs and sugar, no matter how much I exercise it will not make a difference.

sidmand
04-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Someone recently asked me and I realized I had lots going at once (and thank you PP for the Les Mills Pump recommendation--that was something I had been looking at and sounds like a good next program for me):

MyFitnessPal (been much more religious about it)
Fitbit
8-hour diet
Insanity (Shaun T)
Protein powder frappuccinos

And I thought there was more but can't think of it at the moment.

hillview
04-20-2013, 01:18 PM
MFP and tracking EVERYTHING
a kitchen scale and weighing everything
walking every day 4 miles
a bootcamp 3x a week

I lost 30 lbs and have kept it off (+1 year)

baymom
04-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Someone recently asked me and I realized I had lots going at once (and thank you PP for the Les Mills Pump recommendation--that was something I had been looking at and sounds like a good next program for me):

MyFitnessPal (been much more religious about it)
Fitbit
8-hour diet
Insanity (Shaun T)
Protein powder frappuccinos

And I thought there was more but can't think of it at the moment.

What is the 8-hour diet? Is it a book? I'm curious!

sidmand
04-20-2013, 09:19 PM
What is the 8-hour diet? Is it a book? I'm curious!

It is a book but it's basically also intermittent fasting which you can find some information on the web for free. There was recently one that you "fast" (only eating about 500 or 600 calories) for 2 days and eat normally for five. You eat during an 8 hour window (any 8 hour window that works with your schedule) and fast for 16 hours. There is science behind it about your body using the food that has been recently eaten before going into your fat stores and if you fast for a good amount of time, it'll have to go into the stored fat. And you should feel more energetic, more alert, etc. I found I was naturally eating kind of like that but not as stringent but if I made myself more stringent, it worked. Plus, I really wanted to stop eating sooner at night (mindless munching at night) and it was good to find out I could be hungry (stomach growling) and it was okay (I'm diabetic and didn't think I *should* ever be hungry or I might get shaky). Anyhoo...a long winded explanation!

http://www.amazon.com/The-8-Hour-Diet-Disappear-Watching/dp/1609615905/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366507054&sr=8-1&keywords=8+hour+diet

sidmand
04-20-2013, 09:20 PM
My gym membership (that includes childcare) and three friends that meet me there 5 days a week and keep me accountable
Shakeology
Myfitnesspal
My BOB duallie for my long outdoor runs on the weekend.
The Les Mills body pump class ( fairly low weights with lots of reps) at my gym has truly changed my body and metabolism. This is the first time I've added weights into my workout, and the change has been amazing!
I completed c2 5K as well as the bridge to 10K, and both programs were awesome and met me at square one.

I've been really curious about Shakeology. Is there a particular flavor you like? Do you drink it every day? And it really works for you? I see the commercial after every workout and it sounds interesting but I didn't know if it was just hype. Although it seems many people swear by it!

gatorsmom
04-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Good music. It can make a long, arduous work out fun and uplifting. Without it, I would never have been able to finish some of my more grueling workouts. Pandora is great for creating a fun playlist.

Eta:
MFP
4 mile daily walks
bike rides 3x per week (working up to 10 miles each time)
calorie counting

I lost 30 lbs after my first child and 29 lbs after my second baby doing this. Looking forward to working off
the 30lbs from the twins starting this fall!

okinawama
04-20-2013, 09:32 PM
I've been really curious about Shakeology. Is there a particular flavor you like? Do you drink it every day? And it really works for you? I see the commercial after every workout and it sounds interesting but I didn't know if it was just hype. Although it seems many people swear by it!
I have tried the tropical flavor, as well as the chocolate flavor and while both are good, I prefer the tropical.

I don't know if it's the actual shake, or the fact that I know exactly what I'm having for lunch (that's when I eat my shake), and I don't stray from that. I workout (after a quick breakfast) around 930 every morning, and get home around 1130, and I was guilty of coming home and snick snacking while I figured out what I was going to have for lunch. Now, I come home, immediately prepare my shake, and then fix my kids lunch. The shake keeps me full through until my kids snack time ( 3ish), I have a snack with them and then dinner with my family.

It is the only thing I've done differently. I've been working out for 6 days a week for the past 10 month (training for a half marathon for a part of that time), but for some reason, since adding shakeology back in January, I've lost over 12 lbs and below my high school weight. It's really spendy, and I thought I'd just do it for the month of January, but after the first 30 days, I was so happy with the results, I bit the bullet and have been purchasing it every month since.

wallawala
04-20-2013, 09:59 PM
How is shakeology different than slim fast? I haven't heard of it at all before.

sidmand
04-20-2013, 10:36 PM
I have tried the tropical flavor, as well as the chocolate flavor and while both are good, I prefer the tropical.

I don't know if it's the actual shake, or the fact that I know exactly what I'm having for lunch (that's when I eat my shake), and I don't stray from that. I workout (after a quick breakfast) around 930 every morning, and get home around 1130, and I was guilty of coming home and snick snacking while I figured out what I was going to have for lunch. Now, I come home, immediately prepare my shake, and then fix my kids lunch. The shake keeps me full through until my kids snack time ( 3ish), I have a snack with them and then dinner with my family.

It is the only thing I've done differently. I've been working out for 6 days a week for the past 10 month (training for a half marathon for a part of that time), but for some reason, since adding shakeology back in January, I've lost over 12 lbs and below my high school weight. It's really spendy, and I thought I'd just do it for the month of January, but after the first 30 days, I was so happy with the results, I bit the bullet and have been purchasing it every month since.

Thanks for the information! I bought 3 single servings of chocolate and strawberry and figured I'd try it out before investing in a big tub. I've tended not to like drinking my calories but I've been making a protein frappuccino drink that I like. I like quick and easy too.

sidmand
04-21-2013, 12:43 PM
How is shakeology different than slim fast? I haven't heard of it at all before.

Well, I can kind of answer that from a review on Amazon. I think Slimfast is considered a meal replacement shake. This is also a meal replacement shake but contains many many ingredients. It's also WAY more expensive! But many people swear by it.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/supplements/nutrition-health-shake/shakeology.do

ADAPTOGENS: Maca Root, Schisandra,Astagalus,Ashwagandha, Cordyceps, Reishi powder, Schisandra, Suma, Ginko.

They're highly concentrated nutrients that can help your body cope with stress, provide energy, and maintain a strong immune system along with balance endocrine hormones.

ANTIOXIDANTS: Acerola, Camu-Camu, Pomegranate, Bilberry, Blueberry,Lycium , Açai, Maitake, Citrus bioflavonoids, Rose Hips.

Free radicals are natural by-products that cells produce. The way free radicals damage your body is similar to how oxygen in the air rusts exposed metal on a car. If you don't have enough antioxidants to absorb free radicals in your body, they overwhelm your cells, oxidizing and destroying them. Cellular damage is now known to lead to all chronic illnesses, including inflammation, cardiovascular disease, arthritis, and even dementia.

PHYTONUTRIENTS: Chlorella, Spirulina, Hydrilla, Blue green algae, Spinach powder,Barley grass, Kamut grass,Oat grass, Wheat grass (Triticum aestirum).

All the green superfoods in Shakeology contain phytonutrients that are known to promote a healthy immune system, may slow down aging, and help to detoxify and alkalize the body. Chlorophyll is the green pigment molecule in plants that's responsible for absorbing the sun's energy used in the photosynthesis process. Chlorophyll may detoxify and purify the blood and liver, help build red blood cells, and aid in tissue repair.

PREBIOTICS, PROBIOTICS and DIGESTIVE ENZYMES: Yacon, Bifodobacterium longum,Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1,Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus casei, Streptococcus thermophilus. Sacha inchi,Flax,Chia,Apple fiber powder,MSM (methylsulfonylmethane),Quinoa

*PREBIOTICS are naturally occurring undigestible carbohydrates, which are found in high-fiber foods and feed the "good" bacteria living in your intestines. Prebiotics, in combination with probiotics, are needed to help keep your intestines healthy.

*PROBIOTICS are strains of live good bacteria that help with the digestive process. They assist the body in absorbing nutrients and minerals, bring an overall balance to the digestive tract, and help support the immune system.

*PROPRIETARY DIGESTIVE ENZYME BLEND: Amylase, Papain, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase, Protease, Bromelain,Amaranth,Grape seed extract

wallawala
04-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Whoa! Thanks for the info. It sounds tempting, please update how you like the flavors for sure!! Did you get the three pack off amazon, or is there a better place to order?

I just recieved my Fitbit, and am setting it up today. I have a new scale and ready to start the hardwork part...