PDA

View Full Version : Ovulation prediction or OPKs? Do you have any experience?

sunnyside
04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
I picked up some basic ovulation prediction strips from the drug store, but wondering if I should be using something else? Did anyone use OPKs? Can you share how it worked for you? Thanks!

mommylamb
04-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I picked up some basic ovulation prediction strips from the drug store, but wondering if I should be using something else? Did anyone use OPKs? Can you share how it worked for you? Thanks!

I used them both times we TTC. It was pretty simple, and I think it was helpful. That said, we didn't get pregnant the first month using an OPK for either pregnancy. With DS1, I conceived on month 3 of trying, and month 2 of using an OPK. With DS2, I conceived on month 5 of trying and month 3 of using an OPK.

nfowife
04-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I used them with all 3 of my pregnancies. I also charted with my first pregnancy and that helped more. The OPK's just confirmed what the chart was showing me. With the 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, I was able to recognize the signs of impending ovulation (mostly through checking CM) and then used the OPK's to confirm it was "go time".

Worked well for me.

If you have never used them before, it would help to determine the best "window" of time to use them first. Also they are best NOT used with fmu like a pregnancy test. I think early afternoon is best? It's been a while.

AngB
04-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I HEART the ones from early-pregnancy-tests.com (also sold on ebay), google for coupon codes. WAY cheaper then the tests you can find in stores and just as good. I don't like the ones on Amazon quite as much b/c they are too little/sensitive and made it look like I was ovulating when the tests from early-pregnancy-tests showed I wasn't yet.

If you haven't taken them before, start about day 10ish or so of your cycle depending on when you think you ovulate, start a couple days sooner, I recommend taking *at least* 2 a day until you know how long your lh 'surge' is. For some women it can literally only last a few hours, so if you only test once a day, you could get your surge (the surge of hormones right before you ovulate that turn the test positive) after you've tested and never get a positive opk if you don't test again until 24 hours later. Through experience, I know that my surge lasts about 2 days, so I'm not as worried about missing it but I just kinda like to test. You ovulate sometime about 24-36ish hours after you get a positive opk. The cheap tests that show you lines often get progressively darker so I like them b/c if I test and there is hardly even a second line or no second line at all, I know it will usually be a few days most likely. (Mine have always gotten progressively darker before I ovulate although they do go back and forth a little bit which can be frustrating to think you are about to get a positive opk and then it get lighter, but that's normal for some people.

AngB
04-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Also they are best NOT used with fmu like a pregnancy test. I think early afternoon is best? It's been a while.

True, afternoon/evening though try to hold it awhile so your urine is pretty concentrated. I usually took them when I got home from work, or around 2-4ish, then about 8 pm or so. (Or more depending how dark they were and how obsessive I felt about it.)

sunnyside
04-19-2013, 07:01 PM
This is all so helpful! Thank you very much! I'm familiar (but out of practice) with checking other fertility signs and with temping, as I used natural methods of preventing pregnancy. :)

TxCat
04-19-2013, 09:52 PM
We used Clearblue Easy OPK - got pregnant twice over 3 attempts this year using it (one m/c, one sticking so far, fingers crossed!).

ArizonaGirl
04-20-2013, 11:16 PM
We used Clearblue Easy OPK - got pregnant twice over 3 attempts this year using it (one m/c, one sticking so far, fingers crossed!).

:yeahthat:, I needed the idiot proof happy face :D

indigo99
04-23-2013, 09:31 PM
I used them. I think the brand was Answer from Walgreens because you get lots of strips. I started using them a few days before I thought I'd ovulate. I think the darkest test result happens before you actually ovulate though so don't stop trying once it starts getting lighter. We had more luck DTD a day or two after. I think I tested first thing in the morning like with pregnancy tests.