PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron pans and glass/flat cooktops?

mikala
04-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Are they okay or a no-no? In some of the cast iron pan threads people have mentioned that this may be a bad combo but I've never heard the rationale for why. Is it a concern about bare cast iron scratching the glass or something else? I'd like to cook with cast iron more to help boost our iron levels and avoid non-stick coatings but I don't want to ruin our stove in the process.

Thanks!!

abh5e8
04-19-2013, 07:00 PM
i use my 2 cast iron skillets on a glass top stove....have been for about 5 months now and so far no problems. i say go for it!

cckwmh
04-19-2013, 07:36 PM
I have been doing it for about 3 years, maybe more. The key per the salesperson at le crueset is to heat the pan very slowly and never turn the stove past medium. I spend about 10 minutes slowly preheating.

mikala
04-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks! Are you both using standard/exposed cast iron or enameled?

Mommy_Mea
04-19-2013, 10:47 PM
My understanding is that the rough surface (the Burrs) on the cast iron can scratch the surface and cause it to crack. Also, the ridged bottom of many cast iron pans can trap moisture or unevenly heat air, leading to cracking of the surface (because the glass is expanding at different rates).

Many cooks just say to never drag the pan across the cook top, and you will be fine. Or get an enameled cast iron pan.

mikala
04-19-2013, 11:16 PM
My understanding is that the rough surface (the Burrs) on the cast iron can scratch the surface and cause it to crack. Also, the ridged bottom of many cast iron pans can trap moisture or unevenly heat air, leading to cracking of the surface (because the glass is expanding at different rates).

Many cooks just say to never drag the pan across the cook top, and you will be fine. Or get an enameled cast iron pan.
Thanks for the explanation. This makes sense to me.

I wonder if anyone sells pans that are enamel bottom but bare cast iron inside for non stick and dietary iron purposes. I thought some of the LeCruset pans might be this way but it looks like they may just have a black enamel interior?

zukeypur
04-19-2013, 11:27 PM
I have never hurt mine with cast iron or enameled case iron, but I scratched it somehow with a regular saucepan. :/

cckwmh
04-20-2013, 12:26 AM
I use both regular cast iron and enameled.

Mommy_Mea
04-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the explanation. This makes sense to me.

I wonder if anyone sells pans that are enamel bottom but bare cast iron inside for non stick and dietary iron purposes. I thought some of the LeCruset pans might be this way but it looks like they may just have a black enamel interior?

I was looking for something just like this, and I never found it :-( they are all black enamel on the inside. I would love to hear if they exist!

Melaine
04-20-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm confused about the "non stick" comment....I use both enameled cast iron (Le Creuset) and classic cast iron and the enameled doesn't stick and cleans like a dream as opposed to just the cast iron.

I have always used the cast iron on my glass stovetop (never heard not to until recently) but we do have some scratches and maybe now I know why.

mikala
04-20-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm confused about the "non stick" comment....I use both enameled cast iron (Le Creuset) and classic cast iron and the enameled doesn't stick and cleans like a dream as opposed to just the cast iron.

Hmm, maybe it's just the brand of enameled Dutch oven we have but it is seems similar to stainless for sticking. It's definitely easier to care for than bare cast iron since rust is less of a concern but it doesn't check the dietary iron and nonstick check boxes.

mikala
04-20-2013, 03:32 PM
I was looking for something just like this, and I never found it :-( they are all black enamel on the inside. I would love to hear if they exist!

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who would use this but sad to hear it may not exist.

tropicalmom
04-28-2013, 01:43 AM
My mother has used vintage cast iron on her glass cooktops for over 30 years with no damage.