PDA

View Full Version : alternative to bulletin board?

lmh2402
04-19-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm redoing the entry way and there is an odd-shaped nook that I've been using to display DS' artwork from school - he's crazy proud of it, and he loves that I hang it up and rotate it as he brings stuff home.

so while i'm doing some other redesign projects, i want to have a custom board made so that i can "tack" stuff on there with ease, rather than randomly scotch-taping things to the wall

I originally said, "oh, i'll just have someone frame out and make me a custom bulletin board"

but since the space is from the floor up to probably my shoulder, an actual bulletin board with tacks is clearly not a good idea to have in hands-reach of my young kids

so, what other material(s) might be options for this project? there has to be something, right?

thanks. i hope this makes sense.

joonbug
04-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Maybe paint it with magnetic chalk paint? Then you could use cute magnets to hold the pictures and have the kids draw at the bottom part. You can paint as high as you like, totally custom!

elbenn
04-19-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree that something magnetic would work, although magnets might also pose a problem. I have a stainless steel fridge and magnets don't work on it. I used to use tape, but it was a huge pain to remove the tape so I put these clips on the fridge and hang artwork from them. It works really well and maybe you could use these on your wall.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Command-17505-Photo-Strips/dp/B000FSPTEO/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1366418674&sr=8-16&keywords=photo+clips

joonbug
04-19-2013, 08:50 PM
You could just string some thin rope, a few rows, using nails to hold it and clip the pictures using wooden laundry clips.

abh5e8
04-19-2013, 08:51 PM
i used a bunch of picture frames, without glass or backing and hung a small clothes pin from the top of each. super easy to clip art into the clothespin and its a cute "framed" look.

lmh2402
04-19-2013, 08:56 PM
great ideas!

please keep them coming!

so, frames won't work b/c the art is always of a wide range of sizes and shapes

similarly, i wouldn't want to commit to stringing rope b/c the space is a odd shape and i move stuff around and hang it to fill up the space in various ways - not always feasible to be linear, kwim?

the magnet idea is genius! except, might that also be a hazard as DD puts everything under the sun in her mouth??

crl
04-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Just get really big magnets. I have some huge circles from Land of Nod a few years ago. Too big to be choking hazards.

Catherine

lmh2402
04-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Just get really big magnets. I have some huge circles from Land of Nod a few years ago. Too big to be choking hazards.

Catherine

this is a good point!

so, does anyone actually have the magnetic chalkboard paint? does it really work?

thx

cono0507
04-19-2013, 09:20 PM
this is a good point!

so, does anyone actually have the magnetic chalkboard paint? does it really work?

thx

It does work - my friend used it and works great. However when you buy it have the paint department put it in their mixer thing - when I bought mine it had really separated and I mixed it by hand but not thoroughly enough and didn't get enough magnetic material evenly through the paint.

Mommy_Mea
04-19-2013, 09:27 PM
You could just string some thin rope, a few rows, using nails to hold it and clip the pictures using wooden laundry clips.

I did something like this with twine and clothes pins in put family room, easy and looks nice. Could you use vertical ribbon to cover some of the areas?

I also like the idea of magnetic paint!

alexsmommy
04-19-2013, 09:35 PM
I just use adhesive putty for on the stairwell leading to the basement which is our art gallery/command central.

http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Reusable-Adhesive-Ounces-98620/dp/B001CEMCXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366421537&sr=8-1&keywords=elmers+tac+and+stick

It works great for the reasons you stated, different sized art projects and the desire to swap them out as new art comes home.