PDA

View Full Version : Runners- Achilles

SnuggleBuggles
04-19-2013, 08:35 PM
I overdid it on my half marathon training the other day. Starting during that run and continuing since 2 weeks ago, my Achilles is sore. It feels bruised when I touch it. It's not painful really. Sore and worse when running, climbing stairs and hills... I have done several 3 mile runs since it started bc my half marathon is so close. Part of me thinks its be smart to stop running and let it heal. The other says, "nah, you're just being a wuss. Keep running and do that half marathon." So, I'm posing it to other runners, especially those if you far more experienced than I, what would you do? I've been stretching but not the other stuff like I should. I do plan to get on that. I was limping today...not ideal. eta- my first half marathon. Normally a 5-10K kind of runner with only a handful of longer runs to my name (longest is 8 miles). I've hiked much longer (many 10 mile ones and a 28 mile one over intense terrain) but not run.

ray7694
04-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I would rest it. If the race is really close the miles aren't really going to help that much. I would do elliptical and bike to keep endurance. You will be fine on race day.

SnuggleBuggles
04-19-2013, 09:15 PM
I have been doing the elliptical- glad I made a decent choice. :) But, I only got as far as 8 miles in my training (I really didn't do a fantastic job, admittedly). I am unconfident about making 13...and really not sure I can do it without screwing up my Achilles more.

firstbaby
04-20-2013, 06:58 AM
When is your race? I wouldn't stress about where you got in your training - some training plans only have you do up to 10 before the race, and you've gone longer distances before - even walking miles are miles. Maybe change your race day strategy like run the first 3 and then switch to run a mile walk a minute, etc. I understand you don't want to injure it more, but it sounds like you have been able to do some activity with it. JMHO.